The online racing simulator
Aston Club in the FOX....
(39 posts, started )
I've been concentrating on Aston Club, racing the FOX for the past week or two and have had the best time. It's almost as if the car and circuit are perfect for each other. Most of the other drivers have been great.

Finally got into the 1:01's today. Lot's of fun!

I too have done about 700 laps there this week Had some fun and some great races with some fast clean racers.

The setup is crucial, for getting through that fast chicane at full speed. Once I nailed that I went from 1.02's to low 1.01's in a day.
I started racing on this combo last night. It is alot of fun, I've had some great races, but also seen alot of ugliness. As usual T1 is just chaos, it's hard to pick the right brake point, some people are overly cautious, and then there is the T1 heros.
Just done the vixen pre-season race on this combo and still really, really hate the last corner. It changes every lap it seems.

Then darkone goes and beats the WR by 2 tenths on about the 40th lap. illepall

I'm capped at a 1:00:73 it seems, but ah well
Didn't I do a 1m00.58 the other day without a tow (but with a lucky slide though the last corner)

I would have got away with it, but Ryan happened to be spectating as I did the slide...
Quote from tristancliffe :Didn't I do a 1m00.58 the other day without a tow (but with a lucky slide though the last corner)

I would have got away with it, but Ryan happened to be spectating as I did the slide...

I believe it was closer to a 68, and yes that slide was rather lucky although perfectly held
It does seem like a great circuit, but I can't seem to get rid of a horrid amount of power-oversteer out of both hairpins
Keeps me in the low 1:02's with occasional high 01's...although I do think part of it is the lack of finesse when putting the power down using my gamepad
What are some good first sector times? It seems to me that a 32xx is crucial for a good lap.

Are most of you running through the chicane in 5th or 6th? I tend to go through in 5th, exiting (on a good lap) at 110-112 MPH, and then upshifting...

What I've found is that I need to turn in much earlier for the first part of the chicane. I was waiting too long and making a much harder second half of it.

Quote from Ryanry64 :Just done the vixen pre-season race on this combo and still really, really hate the last corner. It changes every lap it seems.

Then darkone goes and beats the WR by 2 tenths on about the 40th lap. illepall

It was a perfect lap I think, with that set. Both PB splits. But the FOX is faster on worn tyres. :/
Quote from DethMag :It does seem like a great circuit, but I can't seem to get rid of a horrid amount of power-oversteer out of both hairpins
Keeps me in the low 1:02's with occasional high 01's...although I do think part of it is the lack of finesse when putting the power down using my gamepad

What is your power diff setting at?
Ive also been racing this combo all week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Since upgrading to AMD 3700+ and 6800GT I can now race on a full grid and wow just blown me away - I've learnt alot from the more experienced racers but still yet to get into 1:01's nevermind practice makes perfect
The chicane should be flat out (maybe not on cold tyres and 70% fuel though, but it depends how brave you are). If you can cut the grass on the exit at 115mph or more then you've done well.

My best split so far is a 32.18 (I think), though I'm mostly high .2x and low .3x

The exit of the hairpins is crutial. On both you need to apex quite late and go quite slowly allowing you to straighten up and get the power on early. A lower power diff setting might help a bit, but the higher you can get away with the better. After that (the above is a bit of a simplification) it's just practice and confidence (which comes with practice).
Quote from dontsimon :I too have done about 700 laps there this week Had some fun and some great races with some fast clean racers.

The setup is crucial, for getting through that fast chicane at full speed. Once I nailed that I went from 1.02's to low 1.01's in a day.

What was it you did to your setup to enable you to go thru the fast chicane without having to lift? I am so nearly there, best yet is 1:02.22
FOX and club can be heaven or hell, depending on who is in behind you at t1, racing earlier it was the forked tail variety

Fox is such a stable car to drive ( makes for good racing)then it bites when you dont expect it( makes for many expletives and death threats)

It was like the Opray Winnfrey show last night without the bouncers

John
Quote from dontsimon :What is your power diff setting at?

Power 60%
Coast 65%

I'm not hugely mechanically minded so I find setup work very tough...I even ask one of my mates to help me with suspension setup! I tell him what the car's doing, he tells me what things to adjust, pretty often it works very well!
Quote from al heeley :What was it you did to your setup to enable you to go thru the fast chicane without having to lift? I am so nearly there, best yet is 1:02.22

My first set up was self built and wouldn't let me take the chicane flat out. I then tried the set up that everyone seems to be using (base sus settings are the same - get it from inferno, darkone or something.)

I then just fiddled and tried other folks sets. For that chicane, one thing that helped me was to go slightly wider before the entry than you think you should, and to turn in earlier also.

I also tried a set (same sus settings) which had parallel steer at 0 instead of 100. And that made a difference. BUT, that set had different camber and tyre pressures so that may have been a factor.

I also reduced my DFP from 450 to 360, as I was occasionally underturning the wheel, and not getting quick enough steering.

I think it's also a matter of getting the line absolutely spot on (obvious I know, sorry to seem condescending) but there seems to be very little margin for error in getting through that chicane flat out. I mess it up 1 in 3 times.
Quote from DethMag :Power 60%
Coast 65%

I'm not hugely mechanically minded so I find setup work very tough...I even ask one of my mates to help me with suspension setup! I tell him what the car's doing, he tells me what things to adjust, pretty often it works very well!

Just noticed you are using a game pad. Lower that power diff. Try 35 or something.
I just started this combo today, got my PB down to a 1:02.2x

I'm still usually hovering in the mid 1:03s tho =/
After I made the post here everything went really bad. T1 became even worse, for along time I couldn't complete a race or even make it around T1. And someone turned into a wrecker because he lost his precious second place after a restart.
Quote from MAGGOT :I'm still usually hovering in the mid 1:03s tho =/

No yer not... :-)
Quote from dontsimon :

Yeah. I hit that chicane going too fast and hit the turtle and flipped. Great footage of flipping though!
I think I need to try this combo more, 1.05.67 using "Race_S" and my mouse (too lazy to setup my wheel). The FOX is so easy to drive using the mouse, you can tell when it's going to break traction so you can fix it before it lets go.
Quote from Slartibartfast :No yer not... :-)

Hehehe, thanks to you My average lap is still around a low 1:03, though.
with my homemade realistic (nothing like the inferno anti-realistic h4x0rz sets) i can run low 1:01's easy, with a bit of a tow 1:00's.
I absolutely love this combo. I have played this combo the most out of everything! That last hairpin is kind of hit or miss though. If you find clean racers, then you're set, but if not then have fun at T1.

(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG