The online racing simulator
The 'In-Car' view?
(20 posts, started )
#1 - g7usl
The 'In-Car' view?
I am currently using the FO8. The 'in-car' view seems to be most unrealistic, to me.
There's no impression of speed at all and I just wondered if, I am the only one who's noticed this?

Does the developer agree, I wonder?
Try experimenting with your FoV and the "Acceleration shifts viewpoint" settings in Options -> View. With the correct settings on a reasonably sized (24" or more should do, maybe even 22") widescreen display, it's pretty immersive.
#3 - g7usl
Quote from morpha :Try experimenting with your FoV and the "Acceleration shifts viewpoint" settings in Options -> View. With the correct settings on a reasonably sized (24" or more should do, maybe even 22") widescreen display, it's pretty immersive.

Thanks very much. I altered the view to further back but, the "Acceleration shifts viewpoint" doesen't work in 'cockpit' view.
Quote from g7usl :Thanks very much. I altered the view to further back but, the "Acceleration shifts viewpoint" doesen't work in 'cockpit' view.

it does.
-
(manneF1) DELETED by manneF1
#5 - e.M
theres something like head movement too, increase that maybe it will help
Use the right FOV, LFS default is 95', I am using 97' for my "widescreen" 15.4 laptop monitor and it feels about right

my view
Attached images
eeeeeeee.jpg
#7 - g7usl
Great stuff, keep 'em coming guys?
110 @ 22"
Recommend a good FOV for a 13.3" laptop screen.

w00t 100th post lol
I use 92 on my 19" CRT
#11 - PoVo
What FOV do you guys recommend for a 24" monitor @ 1920x1080?
as much as it need to make u happy..
Quote from PoVo :What FOV do you guys recommend for a 24" monitor @ 1920x1080?

I use 115°. But I think I'm using 1920x1200.
The latest patch brought us a wonderful trick to play with:
Scawen greatly improved the multi screens display options, providing us with a wide range of settings.
This enhancement led us 1 screen user to be able to simulate (emulate? whatever...) 3-screen views on a single screen.

It may look like a gimmick but it allows you to set the center of the screen with a relatively low FOV (conveying a better sense of speed) while still being able to see on the sides, side views being slightly distorted of course.
So I would recommend that you fiddle with this "toy" - you may find an interesting compromise between side views and sense of speed.

Pic attached for clarity
Attached images
3 screens on one.JPG
wow, you guys are running pretty high FOVs.
I used to race on a 19'' TFT and sat a little more than a meter away from the monitor and used about 57° to 67° depending on the car.

Now I am using a projector, having a real big image and sit about 3 meters away from the wall and use something around 75° FOV depending on the car.

I think a lot of people think you need to have a extensive sense of speed, whilst you don't actually have that in real life. You only have that in Need for Speed games ihmo.
When I drive with a car on the german Autobahn, I look so much ahead, that I don't see the sides flash by, thus not having that much a sensation of speed. It is a creation of the games industry... Thats what I think.
Wow... quite huge FOV's!!

I used to use 95 FOV on 20" 1680x1050.

But nowdays I use 90 FOV on 24" 1920x1080.
However, I am using also Nvidia 3D vision kit, which adds depth to game, and improves feeling of speed and distance of objects, corners, etc...
#17 - CSU1
er...what about widescreen effect = On ?

Doesn't that qdd to immersion by making the edges of the screen appear to move faster :-/
Over years I have had a few different monitors and the larger the screen (wider) the less FOV I use.

FOV 90 @ 1024x
around 82 @ 1280x
around 75 @ 1680x
and 67 @ 1920x
I usually had some standard FOV of 90°. When I tried with TrackIR, it confused me more than it helped.

But then I thought about the real FOV in front of my 1680x1050 22" display and effects like underestimated turns, due to smaller angles. This would imply smaller FOVs, like 40° for my display. I tried TrackIR again, this time combined with a small FOV and voila, it works like charm -- absolutely intuitive.
Quote from Mille Sabords :The latest patch brought us a wonderful trick to play with:
Scawen greatly improved the multi screens display options, providing us with a wide range of settings.
This enhancement led us 1 screen user to be able to simulate (emulate? whatever...) 3-screen views on a single screen.

It may look like a gimmick but it allows you to set the center of the screen with a relatively low FOV (conveying a better sense of speed) while still being able to see on the sides, side views being slightly distorted of course.
So I would recommend that you fiddle with this "toy" - you may find an interesting compromise between side views and sense of speed.

Pic attached for clarity

Awesome, I didn't know about that.

The 'In-Car' view?
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG