The online racing simulator
NFS Shift 2 Unleashed
(219 posts, started )
Sometime the cars do bounce in Shift 1
Quote from ColeusRattus :Hm, I didn't encounter the "bouncing" cars... unless you mean the screen shake, but that didn't bother me at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOiue66NvhE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Gf4fKKoEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NFdXu4Bumk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0-M05nH3os

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0-M05nH3os

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aijVtF_yckU

Need more?

They "fixed" it with a patch long time ago. It wasn't that bad anymore after the patch, but it was still there... it's the reason why i sold my copy.
really never encountered it. but it does look bad.
Pro street suffered terribly from the bouncing glitch.

It would be great if after Shift 2, EA imported the physics into a NFS Underground 3
Quote from FPVaaron :
It would be great if after Shift 2, EA imported the physics into a NFS Underground 3

Hell yeah!!! Usually I say that nothing is worse then a game with physics too arcadish to be a simulator but you can´t call it arcade game neither.
But shift (at least the first part) had a awesome mix. I would so love it.... illegal street racing, customisation like Underground 2, big open world and a game engine like shift . Sadly this is never going to happen.

As far as I know the next NFS gets developed by Black box? Prepare for an epic fail again
So I heard there is a demo around, anyone tried it?
Quote from BurnOut69 :So I heard there is a demo around, anyone tried it?

Where did you hear this? Google doesn't bring anything up at all.
I'm excited to pirate this game. So curious weather they all lie again like they did in Shift 1. I will never pay for it however, if Shift 2 is good then pirating it is enough for them to repay me for the money I blew on Shift 1. I couldn't even return it to the store. Worthless game. All thought like I said, I'm curious to see what they cooked up this time.
Some early impressions from GTplanet:

Quote :
The Driving Physics
There’s been a lot of discussion of the new “Elite” physics mode introduced in Shift 2. Unfortunately, I didn’t find it particularly challenging with a steering wheel. With a Logitech Driving Force GT, cars often felt “floaty”, as if it was difficult to keep the car pointed straight. I found this to be less of an issue with older, heavier cars, which provided a more rewarding driving experience.
Regardless, it was difficult to “feel” where the tires were at in terms of lateral grip. There was little communication through the wheel’s force feedback in corners, and the surprisingly unpleasant tire squeal sound was either “on” or “off” -- as if it was activated only after the tires had exceeded their limit. These are two of the most important indicators of how hard you’re pushing a car in a video game, and they’re sorely missed in Shift 2.
I also found there to be a general lack of oversteer in the physics model, most noticeable in powerful, rear-wheel drive cars. I took a Shelby Cobra 427 to Road America with stock tires, for example, and found it difficult to create any power-induced oversteer. I experienced this same unnatural level of grip while testing the Corvette C6R and many other cars.

It’s Fun

Despite a physics engine which will leave sim-racers wanting more (ok, a lot more), this is a fun, exciting, and intense driving game. Without doubt, the Shift series is definitely headed in the right direction. I had an absolute blast racing with other members of the press during the many LAN races held in the EA offices, and that’s what really matters.

The weird yaw rotation is still there from the looks of every video I've seen. Hovercraft turn-in, odd vague looking 4-wheel-drift through the corner as though the steering wheel is a "turn this way a bit device" rather than being connected to the front wheels. This is what let Shift1 down for me.
Looking forward to trying a demo to judge properly for myself, though, because there are parts of the game that look pretty good.
Quote from jibber :Some early impressions from GTplanet

Just as I suspected then.

There are a couple of problems with what the devs of Shift 2 are trying to achieve. The biggest problem is that they have an unrealistic idea of how a sim would sell out. The majority of the market can't drive for ****. The market for the all out realistic sim racers is relatively small. Another problem is that instead of doing the best they possibly can on one concept / market, they try to compromise between them to gain as many buyers as they possibly can. They're basically forcing the concept of sim racing to go hand in hand with the concept of arcade racing which obviously will never ever happen. It's obvious what kind of effect this got on the community too. Many of my friends who doesn't know that much about cars are continuously defending Shift 2 with arguments such as "They get help by proffessional racers." or "They say that it will be more sim then any sim out there."

In order to make a good sim, the main priority can't be the commercial interest. Making a sim racer isn't anywhere near as profitable as making an arcade racer. As long as fat profit is the goal, A good sim can not be done, period.
Didn't see this video posted anywhere, so thought I would. Apologies if it has.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ea ... or%20speed%20video%20game

Sorry not owning a PC have to get my driving kicks from else where. Would be very interesting in their statements though.

"We have the most advanced physics system ever released in a racing game"
Hmm have they tried and tested LFS?
Game or Simulator

"Getting Grass on the tyre is dynamic and in Real-Time, this is being measured 360x per second"
Orly

Lets just hope that they have balls, I mean product to back this up?

Fordie
I know EA loves bloom, but this is maybe a little bit over the top. I tried all graphics settings... no difference.
Attached images
bloom.png
Quote from (SaM) :I know EA loves bloom, but this is maybe a little bit over the top. I tried all graphics settings... no difference.

Maybe you killed your driver.
It's the latest ATI driver (11.2). But then again, I seem to be having more issues like non-rendered menus and freezes in multiple games.

All EA games. No issues at all in other games.
One thing I am still thinking about is - the camera movement in the cockpit view. They say it's realistic, because that's how the camera on the driver's helmet moves. But it actually represents your head movement without the movement of your eyes. Eyes try to stay focused on one object / part of the view and keep looking at it, so you don't see that shaking when you try to focus on an object and shake your head.

Am I right or am I talking bulls**t?
Quote from Flame CZE :One thing I am still thinking about is - the camera movement in the cockpit view. They say it's realistic, because that's how the camera on the driver's helmet moves. But it actually represents your head movement without the movement of your eyes. Eyes try to stay focused on one object / part of the view and keep looking at it, so you don't see that shaking when you try to focus on an object and shake your head.

Am I right or am I talking bulls**t?

You're absolutely right. If I focus on something, I have to shake my head 50 deg in all directions like mad in order to get the same shake effect that they have in there game.

Quote from Fordman :"We have the most advanced physics system ever released in a racing game"
Hmm have they tried and tested LFS?
Game or Simulator

Interesting point. They probably never tried LFS indeed.

Quote from Fordman :"Getting Grass on the tyre is dynamic and in Real-Time, this is being measured 360x per second"
Orly

It's called an unoptimized program Getting grass on the tyre isn't essential enough to require 360 updates per second. No idea who got that idea or under the influence of what.

Quote from Fordman :Lets just hope that they have balls, I mean product to back this up?

Doubt it :P
I'm installing the previous driver to see if that makes any difference.

Quote from pärtan :It's called an unoptimized program Getting grass on the tyre isn't essential enough to require 360 updates per second. No idea who got that idea or under the influence of what.

It's probably just part of the whole tyre simulation that is updated 360Hz, while also keeping track of traction, temperature, surface area etc.
Quote from Bose321 :The sounds are also awesome. That car sounds like a tractor, or is that your wheel?

Obviously his wheel :P
I've played it for 6 hours or so on the PS3, very very good game.

no complaint with the physics even, just some car's have very odd default setup like the caterham, when some like the supra has really sweet balance. The FF is actually quite good.

can't get use to the helmet cam though, can't tell how much the car is yawing with that cam, so I just use the cockpit cam, which still have some nice head movement.

The AI is real good as well.
I just bought Shift onnnn.. Friday? I just got it recently, after adjusting the controls like mad I finally got it to control more realisticly and not flop all over the place.

It's pretty fun, the graphics to me is what is what makes this, and the good sounds. The physics aren't amazing by any means but for controlling it from a gamepad they are good enough for me.

The car vs car battles are unfair as fuuuuuuck; there are times I'm chasing the bot (i'm only on medium hardness too!) and they will take a turn going like 20mph faster than me and I'm already losing grip on front end.

I'm excited for Shift 2 though, looks extremely promising.

BIGGEST complaing about Shift 1 is the drift mode; it took me like .. 2 hours to figure out the controls; if the physics didn't change I would have no problem, but getting used to how the cars handle was an entire hurdle I wasn't fond of.
Shift 2 physics is about ten fold better than Shift 1's, I'll give you that.

at least on a wheel.

the supra, M3, Mustang, and RX7 I have driven so far are pretty damn sweet.

NFS Shift 2 Unleashed
(219 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG