The online racing simulator
NFS Shift 2 Unleashed
(219 posts, started )
Holy crap:

http://speedhunters.com/archiv ... ntly-asked-questions.aspx

Im sure I'll be fooled again when I buy this, but look at the pic of the 'Caterham', looks like real time tyre deformation will be in.

They answer questions from the community in that preview, and this one is specially promising:

thelolbus said:

"I wish this could be realistic, I mean like live for speed realistic, gt legends realistic, that kind of realism, but it just won't happen with nfs and I'm not getting my hopes up anytime soon."

An interesting comment... What you may not realize here is that I was the designer and producer of GT Legends and most of the key Slightly Mad Studios crew who made SHIFT2 UNLEASHED also created GT Legends too. For us, S2U is a massive leap forward from this old PC sim racer.
Yeah, we are again going to be fooled by Electronic Arts. I don't think any kind of Need For Speed could be in any way realistic. Never. Money talks.
Sound is dubbed tbh...
I reckon NFS Underground had better physics. Seriously.
We've been following their developments quite closely over the last few months and I think there is still hope.

From what I have read, I do believe there will be a decent aspect of simulation components such as real time telemetry and tire deformation.

The Helmet cam seems to be a solid arcade component, the definition of Simulation Racing may be different to what we percieve as simulation.

The graphics look stunning though

That GT3RS. :lovies3d:
I like how everyone's talking down the game, shitting their pants in fear that someone like EA delivers something with actually decent physics, great graphics and licensed tracks and cars. If all these conditions are met, plus there being a decent multiplayer mode, LFS is effectively obsolete and dead.

Also, not even TDU2 has central pivot physics, what makes anyone think someone like SMS would do that?
Watch that video with a mind that is as open as you think everybody elses should be. I'm not hating on it our pre judging it, but ea said all the same things about shift. And just look at the way that car enters corners.
Quote from Tom Servo :I like how everyone's talking down the game, shitting their pants in fear that someone like EA delivers something with actually decent physics, great graphics and licensed tracks and cars. If all these conditions are met, plus there being a decent multiplayer mode, LFS is effectively obsolete and dead.

Also, not even TDU2 has central pivot physics, what makes anyone think someone like SMS would do that?

I hardly think anyone is in fear, most videos show driving very similar to shift 1, which in many peoples eyes was a bit of a let down regarding the overall driving experience.

I hardly think lfs will suddenly die, when it's still around regardless of all of the other driving sim/arcade games that have been released during it's existence. How many cars online in shift 2, 12, 14, 16???
the day that a NFS game has decent physics is the day i'll sh*t a golden egg.

EA are in the market of producing shallow console games and then porting them to PC.
there isn't a mass market for real driving simulators, unlike the market for arcade sh*te like the NFS series.
Quote from gandlers :EA are in the market of producing shallow console games and then porting them to PC.
there isn't a mass market for real driving simulators, unlike the market for arcade sh*te like the NFS series.

Indeed. They just make mainstream games that look realistic, but are not at all. NFS LOOKS realistic to me, just like Forza/GT5, but are not at all.
#89 - JJ72
Brilliant. The spoiler pops up!
Looks horrible IMO...

The corvette one looked better, but the cockpit view is just hoorribblee.
#92 - JJ72
Quote from Bose321 :Looks horrible IMO...

The corvette one looked better, but the cockpit view is just hoorribblee.

in what regard, and what are you judging it against?
Quote from JJ72 :amateur video of veryon on Hockenham ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... re=player_embedded#at=128

and ZO6 on Catalunya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... p;feature=player_embedded

Doesn't look bad at all, surely the physics won't be anything to write home about, but I don't really see anything game breaking.

Looks nice, and probably quite entertaining but the chase cam in the second video demonstrates the odd yawing which i'd hoped they would have dropped for more realistic behaviour in this one.
Quote from JJ72 :in what regard, and what are you judging it against?

I can't really explain it, but there is just no connection between you and the road... The wheel moves like 2 degrees, your head moves which I find annoying... I just looks like you float around the track.
#95 - JJ72
#96 - jai5
I think a lot of you guys including myself are having a hard time saying good things about a NFS game.

I mean yea it's been a REALLY long time since EA has given us a decent racing game (arcade or not) but Shift 2 looks very promising. Sure, compared to iRacing and LFS it wont be as realistic but for what it is...it looks awesome.

It's release date is set for April 1st (IIRC), so not too far away. I'm interested in seeing what LFS players think about the game after some first hand gameplay.
Its because about 18 months ago shift 1 had the exact same build up promising to have decent physics and we were all left disappointed.

I want to believe that it will be decent but I can't help but feel that I will be back to playing LFS/iracing 10 minutes later just like I did last time around.
Quote from miata :Its because about 18 months ago shift 1 had the exact same build up promising to have decent physics and we were all left disappointed.

I wasn't. Not that I like to defend EA in general and NfS in particular, but the marketing blurb always stated it wanted to recreate the feel of driving a car close at the limits, and not to minutely simulate those cars.

And I for one think that Shift did exactly that. It somehow managed to make the driving exciting, while refraining from being an arcadefest. IMHO the best NfS since Porsche unleashed.

Still, I won't buy part two, because I actually have part 1 and I don't see the need to buy a second copy with a slightly altered car roster...
Quote from ColeusRattus :
And I for one think that Shift did exactly that. It somehow managed to make the driving exciting, while refraining from being an arcadefest. IMHO the best NfS since Porsche unleashed.

Yeah, the cars bouncing all over the track like easter bunnies on crack... that part was really exciting!
Quote from jibber :Yeah, the cars bouncing all over the track like easter bunnies on crack... that part was really exciting!

Hm, I didn't encounter the "bouncing" cars... unless you mean the screen shake, but that didn't bother me at all.

NFS Shift 2 Unleashed
(219 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG