The online racing simulator
Firefox 4 is out!
(161 posts, started )
Quote from DeKo :4 still leaks memory for fun.

I know. Mines at 6GB right now, and all I've done is leave it open with a few tabs running.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I know. Mines at 6GB right now, and all I've done is leave it open with a few tabs running.

Mine uses 12GB atm, and it's not even opened. This browser sucks.
So what if it leaks memory.. Does it work? It does for me like it should so I'm not moaning about it.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :So what if it leaks memory.. Does it work? It does for me like it should so I'm not moaning about it.

It doesn't leak memory and it works GREAT.
#80 - DeKo
Quote from DeKo :It doesn't for you.

It doesn't for anyone who installed with a new profile.

(those, who upgraded while keeping profile, are similar to people who are upgrading their Windows 98 to XP, then to Vista, then to 7 and wonder why their PC is slow).
New install of OSX. No Migration Assistant (OSX). 6 GB of RAM.
i'm using 500mb right now, with three tabs, none of which use flash. doesn't seem much different to me. probably by morning, it'll be pushing 800mb. since ram is cheap, i like to assume the mozilla developers don't really care about memory consumption.
WEll they really don't care about memory consumption. 6GB when idling with a few tabs is ridiculous.
Quote from DeKo :It doesn't for you.

I'm using firefox 4 since beta 2 and never had problem with memory

Not sure if anyone of you was using beta releases, but there were constantly some surveys/tests running in betas with Testpilot extension running in background and one of the surveys was memory consumption by number of tabs opened. I'm pretty sure they were able to fix as many leaks as possible.
~270MB usage on windows 7 here, 6 tabs currently open, been running for 4-5 hours with lots of heavy tabbed browsing.

~230MB on OS X (using TenFourFox which is the same as Firefox 4 but ported to PPC) with 5 tabs open, including youtube currently playing in the backround.

Did fresh installs on both operating systems, wiped totally clean of old firefox installations. Using quite a lot of extensions too. Can't really see what the fuss is all about.
Also with any major upgrades make sure you do a fresh install, using auto update or uninstalling it only from control panel is not enough since folders and registry commands remain in system. so make sure you uninstall it as explained in this guide (btw great guide to tweak FF): http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_3.html
Quote from E.Reiljans :It doesn't for anyone who installed with a new profile.

(those, who upgraded while keeping profile, are similar to people who are upgrading their Windows 98 to XP, then to Vista, then to 7 and wonder why their PC is slow).

Can be true, but I got this profile since FF3.0...
Quote from Matrixi :~270MB usage on windows 7 here, 6 tabs currently open, been running for 4-5 hours with lots of heavy tabbed browsing.

Did fresh installs on both operating systems, wiped totally clean of old firefox installations. Using quite a lot of extensions too. Can't really see what the fuss is all about.

Same here (except the thing on bold) I've had the same profile for years, since the last format, just upgraded from 3.x to 4. Also i don't have that fancy and expensive pc (~4years old machine).
Quote from Framaris :Also with any major upgrades make sure you do a fresh install, using auto update or uninstalling it only from control panel is not enough since folders and registry commands remain in system. so make sure you uninstall it as explained in this guide (btw great guide to tweak FF): http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_3.html

quite a ridiculous suggestion
its a browser for crying out loud and not everyone wants to spend 5 days just to install a new version and get all their addons configured again etc
Hehe it looks like I forgot to add that for anyone who need 5 days to reinstall a browser, plz do not do a fresh install!
Well, my Firefox profile comes from Vista (maybe even XP), now I'm on Win7. So my profile worked on FF 3.5, 3.6 and now 4.0 (unless I have forgotten that some version asked for wipe the old and create a new one, importing bookmarks and such things)

And I only saw the memory leaking in 3.6, BUT, I'm not sure if the problem started right away with 3.6, or because I activated hibernation, so FF stayed open for several days. Anyhow, it seems solved now for me.

FYI: Win7 64 bits, 4GB ram and hibernation enabled (maybe we could find a pattern here :shrug
ok what do i need to do to make this run best, look best, and feel best
Quote from dawesdust_12 :www.Apple.com/safari

It's 2011, why would he use that outdated trash, which doesn't supports any of new technologies such as WebSockets?
Oh? All 3 are too fast for you? Don't like all your RAM being used by going to google.com? I guess that's a huge flaw with Chrome, Safari and IE9.

Or is the fact that Safari and Chrome actually render things correctly, instead of Firefox deciding to have off-by-1 rendering errors just for fun? (I work in web development.. There are times when IE7,IE8,Safari, Chrome AND Opera will have it perfect, then firefox will go "oh, I'm a useless rendering engine" and nudge something 1px off and break the entire layout until I make 1 container that 1 or 2 px larger to let Firefox work).

Sorry too that IE9 is actually fast as well.

Saying "nuff said" for Safari is a very ignorant view as well. Basically nullifys everything you say for the rest of eternity. Idiot.
Quote from E.Reiljans :It's 2011, why would he use that outdated trash, which doesn't supports any of new technologies such as WebSockets?

Quote :For the client side, WebSocket was to be implemented in Firefox 4, Google Chrome 4, Opera 11 and Safari 5, as well as the mobile version of Safari in iOS 4.2. However, although present, support is now disabled by default in Firefox and Opera, due to concerns over security vulnerabilities.

Oh, and Safari is the one that is crippled?

I see your logic working well here.
Quote from Bose321 :FF4 + Greasemonkey + stylish + twentyten

Doesn't look and feel good
Apple, nuff said
Doesn't feel good

i have a theme im happy with, and what do the other addons do?

i saw that greasemonkey has bad reviews?

and stylish i dont even get what it does
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Oh, and Safari is the one that is crippled?

I see your logic working well here.

Was sarcasm about "new technologies", WebSockets is very dangerous to have enabled, and, while Firefox, IE9 etc have it disabled by default (which is safe behaviour), Safari doesn't.

Firefox 4 is out!
(161 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG