Firefox 4 is out!
#3 - J@tko
LOL 20kb/s

But nice
#4 - majod
is basically RC2 and will be officially available tomorrow hurray
Just downloaded it, looks nice... Will have to browse more to see if its faster
YAY.

I freaking love it. Completely switched form 3.6 to 4 since beta 6 or something.

Currently still on RC2.

Twentyten 2 theme (tabs on bottom) + tabscope = pure sex
Quote from Bose321 :Currently still on RC2.

RC2 = final version, they even have same md5 sums, so you shouldn't worry about updating.
Have they got rid of the horrible memory problems features that plagued previous versions?
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Have they got rid of the horrible memory problems features that plagued previous versions?

What memory problems? Never had any since I upgraded from a 486DX with 4 MB of RAM.
i think memory consumption slightly increased because of HW acceleration, but who cares about 150 or 200MB when its common to have 2GB+ of memory?
I have 6 gb ram, Firefox 4 with like 20 tabs open consumes 1-2 gb of that..
And sometimes up to 50% cpu on 3.1 GHz dual-core.

Really is a huge resource hog for a browser.. I would switch instantly to Opera if I could have Adblock Plus And Greasemonkey.
I've never understood why on earth people have 20+ tabs open, 5 tabs is most of the time more than enough for me, otherwise i just get headache...:
Quote from RasmusL :I have 6 gb ram, Firefox 4 with like 20 tabs open consumes 1-2 gb of that..

You're obviously doing something wrong, I have over 40 tabs open at this time, and memory usage keeps around 800MB.

..or maybe it's because too much of your tabs have Adobe Trash in them. Install FlashBlock :|
3 or 4 tabs with Flash..
Yeah Flash sucks donkey balls, but you can't really avoid it. I don't want FlashBlock, I use Flash a lot

Also 20 tabs is when I'm just starting out.
I never close firefox, and when it's been a long time since I've closed old tabs I can have 100
Quote from RasmusL :I have 6 gb ram, Firefox 4 with like 20 tabs open consumes 1-2 gb of that..

Really is a huge resource hog for a browser.. I would switch instantly to Opera if I could have Adblock Plus And Greasemonkey.

...aaaannd the inevitable truth revealed: a.k.a redtube pages eat usually a bit more resources than normal sites also.
Quote from majod :i think memory consumption slightly increased because of HW acceleration, but who cares about 150 or 200MB when its common to have 2GB+ of memory?

Because I run my laptop a lot which only has 1GB of RAM and Firefox will quickly eat up 5-600MB just by going to BBC News and LFS Forums. Right now (just opened the browser) it is hovering at 250MB. But by navigating a few pages deep the "feature" that is storing pages to memory means Firefox is hanging like a bitch.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Because I run my laptop a lot which only has 1GB of RAM and Firefox will quickly eat up 5-600MB just by going to BBC News and LFS Forums. Right now (just opened the browser) it is hovering at 250MB. But by navigating a few pages deep the "feature" that is storing pages to memory means Firefox is hanging like a bitch.

What extensions do you use, and have you tried a new profile ?
I'm using 125mb after a few hours of general interwebnetting.
Hooray it's very sexy! :up:
I did a 10 tabs browsing (BBC, lfsforum, radicalsonline.com, youtube, facebook etc.) just to test and it went ~300mb of memory usage + i have some adds and skins installed on my ff.
It's not that bad RAM-wise. Using 300MB with 23 tabs opened (yay for panorama tabs/tab candy). Plus some extra addon's and such. I've never had any performance issue anyway.
600MB of RAM? I'll stick with Chrome, then. I'm sitting at 60MB with several tabs
Quote from MAGGOT :600MB of RAM? I'll stick with Chrome, then. I'm sitting at 60MB with several tabs

You are clearly not reading posts through...
Nah I have to agree, it still uses waayy too much memory.

But I stick with FF anyhow.
Quote from Bean0 :What extensions do you use, and have you tried a new profile ?
I'm using 125mb after a few hours of general interwebnetting.

I run adblock+, gmail notifier, Flagfox and Web Developer. I regularly go through and delete bookmarks too. Firefox is just a massive resource hog. Even for light usage 125MB is more than the competition.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N : Even for light usage 125MB is more than the competition.

yep, i opened chrome and got 2 tabs open on it, took 100mb out of my machine.

true, firefox 3.6 eats a bit more than competitors.

Firefox 4 is out!
(161 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG