The online racing simulator
PC Music players similar to iTunes?
(24 posts, started )
I've been using XMPlay for a few years now because of its ridiculously small file size and system usage and superior sound... but as my library has expanded I'm getting annoying with the bad UI (in particular the library is just a comprehensive playlist, it's not divided up like folders and such). As much as I hate iTunes for a variety of reasons, I like the way the interface works with the library organization and playlists and the like, and genius playlists. Is there any other players that do the same thing as iTunes without the heavy system load or large file sizes?
If you were able to sacrifice a bit of ram WinAmp should do the trick, or use SAM Broadcaster, something a few of us internet dj's use
Tried foobar2000 yet? It's very different from iTunes, but I find it's playlist management very handy.
foobar is the best out there.
Does Foobar support a genius playlist type of function?

Has anyone tried Songbird? Looks intriguing.
Songbird is kinda crap. All they've done is take the Bloated Firefox Core and jam MPlayer into it with a bit of a library function.
#8 - Bean0
Foobar2000+silent night skin(plus plugins that comes with it)+ASIO output= bliss. My current setup on attachment
Attached images
Untitled-1.jpg
Does Foobar have a feature to automatically sort and rename files in your library?
yeah you can define whatever parameter you want to sort into. I chose by album and folder name, you can choose artist, year, genre, even folder names. If there is a parameter you want to sort into, it can do it
Quote from anik360 :yeah you can define whatever parameter you want to sort into. I chose by album and folder name, you can choose artist, year, genre, even folder names. If there is a parameter you want to sort into, it can do it

I mean actually renaming your mp3 files and organizing them on your hard drive, not just sorting in the list within the program. iTunes and Songbird can both do this.
Oh, even that is possible. It can rename,move and copy to different folder, edit id3/2 tags etc. etc. with additional plugins. Look up silent night skin on Deviant art and you'll see exactly what it can add.

EDIT: got my lazy ass in and found the link for ya http://browse.deviantart.com/c ... q=silent%20night#/d2k323j
Quote from anik360 :Foobar2000+silent night skin(plus plugins that comes with it)+ASIO output= bliss. My current setup on attachment

What's your Windows theme?
:3
I quite like that Foobar theme... Looks to have what I want in a player. How is it on system resources? I've been putting Songbird through its paces the last couple days and I don't mind it thus far, but it's a little system heavy (sitting just over 100 000K right now according to my processes window...)

If foobar (with that theme) runs lighter than Songbird than I shall give it a go
Quote from MAGGOT :I quite like that Foobar theme... Looks to have what I want in a player. How is it on system resources?

it's pure for win7. Look it up from deviantart. Foobar 2k is the most resource friendly app I ever used. should be getting about 40-60mb with the silent night skin and other plugins to your liking.

EDIT: attached mem usage, and notice no cpu usage when playing song if you use wasapi or ASIO to get exclusive control of sound card (i have an auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 cinema optical out to receiver with own speakers)
EDIT2: I do use other resource hog plugins so yours will be different
Attached images
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
#18 - Jakg
Quote from anik360 :Look it up from deviantart. Foobar 2k is the most resource friendly app I ever used.

XMPlay (what MAGGOT was originally using) is currently using 6MB of RAM with 20GB of music loaded in a playlist and a bunch of plugins.
Usage by iTunes must be dependant on the system you run, I'm amazed at 1gb on the memory in that comparison when it's around 50,000k on mine.
Attached images
usage.jpg
What about the quality of the sound? All players have the same quality? Equalizer?
Quote from Takumi_lfs :What about the quality of the sound? All players have the same quality? Equalizer?

If your soundcard supports ASIO, foobar2000 (or any other player with ASIO output support) will have slightly better quality than players without ASIO support.
iTunes is the worst optimized piece of garbage I have ever used. I did a comparison of userspace it takes up to keep itself running. I loaded foobar 2000 with 38 gb (all of my music including FLAC versions) and itunes with 26gb music. load tested them by making a simple script and shuffled songs constantly for 5 mins. Foobar 2000 maintained btw. 100-105mb (my own sets of plugins) and itunes kept bloating to 900mb and stopping there and kept using cpu resources btw. 1-10% on audio buffer flushes and album art loading and software audio sampling. Foobar falls into the ASIO output which used 0-1%cpu on song changes.
Foobar is awesome! Equalizer of it is very good!

Won't be using WMP/Winamp anymore xD
Foobar sounds pretty fantastic then, I'll give it a go sometime soon when I get a chance. For now... back to thesis CAD work.

Thanks for the input!

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG