The online racing simulator
GP2 Series 2011 /Asia series
(51 posts, started )
This thread is about the 2011 season and GP2 racing in general.

GP2 is known as the 2nd step short of Formula 1, many GP2 drivers have made it in F1, such as Lewis Hamilton, Timo Glock, Heikki Kovalainen, Nico Hulkenberg and many others.

GP2 is also known of having extreme close racing all since the series started in 2005. Even though it has close racing, theres allways someone that stand out from the others.

GP2 Wikipedia

2011 bring also their new chassis called "Dallara GP2/11" made by the italian constructor Dallara. The Dallara GP2/11 is basicly a Formula 1 style chassis with the front and rear wing just as formula 1.

Picture: http://i31.tinypic.com/11cftjl.png [Big]

Heres the GP2 Calendar

Going to the "GP2 asia series" is the excact same as the normal GP2 series but running around in asia basicly. The calendar is much shorter though and points are crutial if you want to win the championship of a 3 race weekend calendar.

Discuss.
Attached images
Calendar 2011.JPG
2011 calendar.JPG
First meeting was incredibly dull for GP2 standards, I really wonder what the organisers were thinking when removing the only overtaking place, by taking that shortcut after T2.

Anyway it seems like Grosjean has a clear edge on his rivals, let's see if he can have a clean week-end for once at Bahrein.

Nice quality field for GP2 Asia also. I guess most drivers are seeing this season as an opportunity to gain as much track time as possible with the new car, for the main series; hence why the field is so much similar to the main series this time.
#4 - bbman
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :First meeting was incredibly dull for GP2 standards, I really wonder what the organisers were thinking when removing the only overtaking place, by taking that shortcut after T2.

After Bathurst, it's the longest lap for the V8s already...
Quote from bbman :After Bathurst, it's the longest lap for the V8s already...

Good point, though IIRC there is one "shortcut" just after the chicane after the long straight, putting you back to the start finish straight. Using it also allows you to scrap the whole pointless 3rd gear 90° corners section at the second half of the track, which really spoils it IMO.
yeah but then there wouldn't be enough corners.
It would be a better series is they still had the other circuits on the calendar, like Singapore, Suzuka, Sepang etc
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :yeah but then there wouldn't be enough corners.

9. Same as the A1-Ring for instance

Quote from BlueFlame :It would be a better series is they still had the other circuits on the calendar, like Singapore, Suzuka, Sepang etc

So true. Bahrein and Abu Dhabi isn't very representive of the whole Asian continent.

In fact I've read someone in another forum pretending that they stopped going anywhere else than the Middle-East after Speedcars collapsed, because GP2 Asia used to share logistical costs with them. Not sure if that's 100% true... but this makes sence somehow.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :9. Same as the A1-Ring for instance

So true. Bahrein and Abu Dhabi isn't very representive of the whole Asian continent.

In fact I've read someone in another forum pretending that they stopped going anywhere else than the Middle-East after Speedcars collapsed, because GP2 Asia used to share logistical costs with them. Not sure if that's 100% true... but this makes sence somehow.

Makes sense, but it doens't make sense to have two race meetings at Bahrain and not at Abu Dhabi..... Weird, I imagine the two Bahrain meetings are run on two different track layouts..
Quote from BlueFlame :I imagine the two Bahrain meetings are run on two different track layouts..

Nope, same layout both races
Quote from BlueFlame :Makes sense, but it doens't make sense to have two race meetings at Bahrain and not at Abu Dhabi.....

Well, not really I guess, they could hardly put a 4th race with the tight schedule(car delivery/testing/etc).
GP2 "asia" actually doesnt run in asia :/
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Well, not really I guess, they could hardly put a 4th race with the tight schedule(car delivery/testing/etc).

Well they have a month gap between Bahrain race weekends, this could easily be two weeks as it stands they force the teams to go home, only to come back again to the same damn place in 2weeks costing them alot of money, also when I suggested squeezing more races in, I meant it would make sense for them to start the season at the end of 2010 like November or something. That way, even F1 drivers could enter! That would be awesome!
Quote from BlueFlame :when I suggested squeezing more races in, I meant it would make sense for them to start the season at the end of 2010 like November or something.

For some reason they wanted to use the new model for this season, and it wasn't delivered to the teams before early 2011.

Last season we had 1 round somewhere in November 2009 and the rest in February 2010 and after, so they probably want to keep December/January clear for some reason anyway. And having a 4ish months break between round 1 and 2 isn't really the way to go TBH.

Quote :That way, even F1 drivers could enter! That would be awesome!

That definitely would, but I can't really see the interrest F1 drivers would see in this. And after the Kubica story, teams would probably think twice before allowing them.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :For some reason they wanted to use the new model for this season, and it wasn't delivered to the teams before early 2011.

Last season we had 1 round somewhere in November 2009 and the rest in February 2010 and after, so they probably want to keep December/January clear for some reason anyway. And having a 4ish months break between round 1 and 2 isn't really the way to go TBH.

That definitely would, but I can't really see the interrest F1 drivers would see in this. And after the Kubica story, teams would probably think twice before allowing them.

But interms of personal injury, rally crashes are more brutal on the body than single seater crashes of the modern era in terms of, actually getting close to being/ or completely killed.

I'm sure teams would rather their drivers competed in GP2 than a rally.
Quote from BlueFlame :But interms of personal injury, rally crashes are more brutal on the body than single seater crashes of the modern era in terms of, actually getting close to being/ or completely killed.

I'm sure teams would rather their drivers competed in GP2 than a rally.

That's true of course, but just have a look at least season... At least three serious injuries(Bianchi, Tung, Kral), plus some minor-ish(Clos...).

E: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89525/. Bahrein's first meeting cancelled. This means we'll have only two race meetings this season(can't see how they could replace him within the next few weeks), maybe only one if F1's cancelled aswell...
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :That's true of course, but just have a look at least season... At least three serious injuries(Bianchi, Tung, Kral), plus some minor-ish(Clos...).

E: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89525/. Bahrein's first meeting cancelled. This means we'll have only two race meetings this season(can't see how they could replace him within the next few weeks), maybe only one if F1's cancelled aswell...

This is true, I guess they should just hand the trophy to Bianchi then because I don't think they gonna be able to do any more racing in Bahrain, and they've kicked themselves in the nuts since two of the events are there. Which is the biggest problem I had with GP2 asia this season LOL, kinda smug, but it's not the best circumstances to be.

Seems like there may be more Muslim countries populations demanding political reform. Might be for the better.
Much more efforts are gonna be put in order to save the second Bahrein meeting though, since it shares dates with F1.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Much more efforts are gonna be put in order to save the second Bahrein meeting though, since it shares dates with F1.

Let's hope so, or maybe, lets not, I wouldn't mind if the first race of the season wasn't at Bahrain to be honest... :P
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Quite obviously, GP2 follows F1 and cancels 2nd Bahrein meeting: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89609

I would really LOL if Bianchi gets crowned after a one event season

It's their own fault for having a 3 round season to begin with, and even more their fault for having two of them in the same country, regardless of which country is is/was!
Great. That's like the Asian Cup(Football) being played in Europe...
Quote from Swiss-Spirit :Great. That's like the Asian Cup(Football) being played in Europe...

What else are they to do? It's not like it's really GP2 ASIA when all events are in the middle east is it? And almost all of the drivers aren't Asian anyway.. Whats your point again?
The middle east is still part of the Asian continent, you know...

But I agree, there is a plethora of tracks (and some very good ones at that) they're discarding when they're looking to Europe...

(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG