The online racing simulator
Fu%&!ng Volkswagen
(63 posts, started )
#51 - Jakg
Quote from rich uk :Whats wrong with the radio trasmitters that were mentioned before? They work perfectly well and are about £20. They just fit to the end of your ipod and can be run from battery (phone, or seperate. Or via the car) They also take up no room and look nice too.

FM transmitters sound like arse.

Hate to say it, but I totally understand where S14 is coming from - OEM HU's look good, and aftermarket ones always look gash.

However, while it might be an expensive car to you, it's not withcraft - a professional audio shop will have MORE experience doing stuff like this than the VW dealership. Although personally - DIY every time. You'll learn more, know it hasn't been bodged, take proper respect of your car, and save a wedge of cash. Most cars trim isn't impossible to disassemble...

Personally, i'd get some a Connects2 kit and DIY fit it - but on the other hand trying to work around an OEM HU is a bitch, and isn't really worth it unless it does something special (i.e. Nav, iDrive etc) - I've just bought a HU that does proper iPod support (all playlists, search by artist, control from the HU / wheel controls), better sound quality than anything OEM, and it cost me £50 second hand...
Quote from BlueFlame :Who gives a monkeys, it's clearly not the deciding factor of his list of do's ...

Is it just me or did he made a thread some time ago about looking for a car with iPod support...

edit: rofl @ Fuse
I think he just needs to put his ipod there... no matter plugged in or not

Quote from Jakg :FM transmitters sound like arse.

Hate to say it, but I totally understand where S14 is coming from - OEM HU's look good, and aftermarket ones always look gash.

Exactly. And it isn't just the looks either, most radios also feel extremely cheap. So far the only reasonably good looking aftermarket HU's I could find are Becker HU's. Too bad those are also ungodly expensive.
That's all you need to repair a Type 1
#57 - Uke
Quote from -NightFly- :Who the heck uses regular CD's anymore ? Even my 92' Transporter has mp3 player (i didn't buy it it was in when i got it).

CD's are for nerds. I have a vinyl player.
Vinyl players are for poor people, I just hire the band to come play in the back seat of my car.
I just go on the stage with my car where they play.
lol @ this thread

no idea about my opinion but 1st thing what I would say, it is always to ask 1st before of buying anything, or even ask twice if rly no idea.

But maybe in this case it sounds like you could do anything else anymore
Why not buy an after market stereo? VW standard ones suck balls and buying a stereo with 4x the power and usb/aux in isnt chavy, its what everyone does that dont want to be ripped off £50 for a custom usb wire from a dealers. Its liek saying u dont want a quadcore or sli gfx because its too chavvy lol...

Its only chavy if u have dolphins swimming on the screen or have a remote control for it when sitting 10 inches away.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp ... +Connection&width=800

http://www.iworld.co.uk/p/Grif ... p_for_iPod_and_iPhone.htm

The FM transmitters are fine, I use one on my psp sometimes and the quality is perfect if u keep it tuned to a clear channel. Used to have it on a Nokia phone also and it was fine too, even when kept in pocket.

There are cheapers alts out there too...
Quote from Foilpact :Why not buy an after market stereo? VW standard ones suck balls

I can assure you the VW 10-speaker system I have in my mk5 Golf will destroy any cheap aftermarket setup. Plus it doesn't look like a 5 year old went mental with a bunch of tacky LEDs around the dash. Trust me, I've been there. I had the £200 Clarion headunit and it was fine but not nearly as good as the standard stuff I have now. (Not 100% sure it is standard as the car has quite a few option upgrades, is still VW though).

And no, FM transmitters are not fine, but I'm guessing if your setup is crap anyway you won't notice.
Quote from pb32000 :I can assure you the VW 10-speaker system I have in my mk5 Golf will destroy any cheap aftermarket setup. Plus it doesn't look like a 5 year old went mental with a bunch of tacky LEDs around the dash. Trust me, I've been there. I had the £200 Clarion headunit and it was fine but not nearly as good as the standard stuff I have now. (Not 100% sure it is standard as the car has quite a few option upgrades, is still VW though).

And no, FM transmitters are not fine, but I'm guessing if your setup is crap anyway you won't notice.

Meh, The 8 or 10 speaker stereo in my Passat b5.5 was crap compared to when i got a different headunit. Same speakers but the difference in sound was like going from pc speakers upto a decent house stereo going from 20w to 65w per channel. Wasnt much louder just much better/clearer sounding when turned up compared to standard low power budget stereo.

its been a while since i used the transmitter but the differences were tiny if any. It depends if u get a cheap powerless one or not but u cannot expect great quality when playing compressed mp3's anyways. Mine was some dodgy import from abroad years ago so might be overpowered idk, it does get damn hot.

Tho i got sick of carrying extra crap around wi me for music so just have all my music on a 2GB flashdrive now that plugs directly into the headunits usb.

Also, the 10 speaker setup, Is it not just 4 speakers and 6 tweeters? Same as how a mk4 astra has 8 speakers, But its only really 4 with tweeters in different place?

Fu%&!ng Volkswagen
(63 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG