The online racing simulator
How much do you download?
(64 posts, started )
Quote from tbofram :Ye my friend is on sky broadband (uk) and he only used like 49gbs in the first month he was registered and they put him to dial up speed without even phoning him. I think it is horrible. And most of that he says was from using lovefilm stream on his ps3. I think ISPs have to change there FUP for these days Internet usage.

Sky has to be THE worst ISP to be with in rural areas.. i have tried to give them a chance to make their services better but they simply blame it on the area i live in.
ye i have been told they are trying to improve there service but i bet it is just to get people to not move to other isps
Haha I just found out how to get around by limiting bandwidth. By hasthis openzone thing that basically if you are a customer you get a number of wifi minutes to use on these 1000s o openzone networks that are around the country. Well the guy who lives next too me has it so I desided to connect to that and like owned his network. I think I used like all his bandwidth but bt limits bandwidth on these open zone. I only got 1 mb/s from it ahhwell I still managed to get my latest update of my Linux distro downloaded before it started cutting out.
My service provider increased my downloads from 50gb to 1tb and lowerd the cost, after learning this I tried to cap it, the best I could do was 400gb in a month.
Quote from tbofram :Ye my friend is on sky broadband (uk) and he only used like 49gbs in the first month he was registered and they put him to dial up speed without even phoning him. I think it is horrible.

i used to work for a Tier 2 ISP, doing tech support for our network and our the networks of some of our subsidiaries.

on a daily basis we used to look at the CMTS for the modems responsible for the most traffic, or otherwise going over their cap, and we'd change their provisioning mode so that their modem would get stuck offline. the only way for them to fix it would be to call us and then we can tell them to either fix their virus-ridden computer, or to stop downloading P2P... then we'd turn them back on (and if applicable, start applying overage fees).

a 40gb transfer cap for a home user should be far more than enough... but the people we were disconnecting had sometimes 150gb of transfer.

while i won't say anything about DPI/QoS practices by ISP's, i feel the ISP's should be allowed to reserve the right to cut off people pigging out on their network.
Quote from tbofram :I think ISPs have to change there FUP for these days Internet usage.

They have...they've gone from 'Unlimited' to actually having a FUP.

Back in the day, everything was unfiltered, and you fought for the available bandwidth with all the other users. Bear in mind that ISPs needed to preorder this bandwidth from BT Wholesale, so there was only a fixed amount of central pipes per ISP.

As internet use became more common, and more bandwidth intensive applications came about (video, VOIP, P2P, etc), they found that their existing business models did not allow for the average use per customer going up as quickly as it had.

Some ISPs brought in traffic management on certain protocols, some monthly usage limits, and some both. It is now up to you to do the research and find out which ISP is best for you.

I have a 30GB 'peak time' monthly limit, with unmetered off peak.
This does me fine, and also ensures that I do not suffer from massive packet loss/latency increases during busy times when I am trying to game.
I don't think 40GB is more ten enough. If people that use the Internet normally and can use that 40Gb in 48 hours then I think that would be impossible to only use 40 gb in like 30 days
well when I returned to my hometown with new ISP and
DL Speed is around 1,560KB/s and UL Speed is around 640KB/s

Since September this is what I got downloaded per month

September 20 - October 22, 2010
Download: 23.45032 GB
Upload: 12.42011 GB

October 22 - November 24, 2010
Download: 40.31694 GB
Upload: 5.40323 GB

November 24 - December 29, 2010
Download: 32.50923 GB
Upload: 10.49211 GB

2010 Year Total
Download: 96.3 GB
Upload: 28.5 GB

December 29, 2010 - January 25, 2011
Download: 30.66623 GB
Upload: 15.98324 GB

2011 Year Total
Download: 30.6 GB
Upload: 16.0 GB

Thank god my ISP doesn't have limits of Download/Upload peek
thats alright. and hmmm i have been offline for a while and when i looked at my router since i was gone my download usage was alot lower then usual. i guess my family does not use that much and its only me. (i blame LFS host)

First time I've looked at my account in... ever.
Sent 3.580942055tb
Recieved 3.714135566tb
Since Dec.
Gee that's a home network?

How much do you download?
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG