The online racing simulator
Another pic. Looks like the photoshopper just copy-pasted it from a snowmobile.

What happens when it gets dirty? It's not like they can have windscreen wipers or tear offs on it.
If arox would like to update his OP with the various news bits (Narain, Mclaren launch date etc) then that'd be great, as I would like to use his post as my calendar for this years launches...
Legard gone.

Jonathan Legard
Life moves on. Ask Nick Heidfeld or @narainracing. You never know what's next. To the critical and the complimentary, thanks for the company
Oh ****ing sweet!
Quote from robt :Lineup confirmed for commentry team now legards gone.

Glad Legards gone - he was a professional enough commentator, but it could have been a game of darts, or a rowing race for the amount of passion he showed.

Good news about Martin though. Once he got over the fact that he wouldn't be racing in F1 again, he got much better at his job.

Also, I hope David's better in a commentary box that the cringe-worthy way he comes over commenting in front of a camera.

Hope they decide to get rid of Eddie Jordan too; I fail to see what "value" he adds to the broadcast team. Just seems to be there for a free ride.
Quote from JPeace :He is an arsehole, without him there would be nothing for people on youtube to complain about.

I think he's there for his contacts
Quote from sinanju :Hope they decide to get rid of Eddie Jordan too; I fail to see what "value" he adds to the broadcast team. Just seems to be there for a free ride.

EJ is now analyst. Oh great, let him talk even more
He's there for controversy, he's there to say things that people wouldn't dream of asking. He may be a bit of a twat, but i enjoy watching him just to see how people answer his abrupt questioning

He does make good viewing imo

Glad legard is gone, and this year F1 will be broadcast by FOM in HD - can't wait!!
People have made such a fuss about this HD thing. Not once have I have thought "F1 would be better in slightly better detail". But for some deranged reason people spend thousands on TVs for this very purpose. You could test a freakin' good car for a day and have the time of your life for the price of slightly better TV quality. crazy world.
Quote from Intrepid :People have made such a fuss about this HD thing. Not once have I have thought "F1 would be better in slightly better detail". But for some deranged reason people spend thousands on TVs for this very purpose. You could test a freakin' good car for a day and have the time of your life for the price of slightly better TV quality. crazy world.

The difference between standard and HD for F1 actually has a much greater impact than a lot of different areas (other sports, TV, movies etc). How many times have you been unable to tell what tyres a car was on because the picture wasn't quite sharp enough? How about quickly identifying a car from a long shot? Reading the dashboard / steering wheel display? F1 in HD will make a big different in real terms, rather than just looking a bit nicer.
Quote from Intrepid :People have made such a fuss about this HD thing. Not once have I have thought "F1 would be better in slightly better detail". But for some deranged reason people spend thousands on TVs for this very purpose. You could test a freakin' good car for a day and have the time of your life for the price of slightly better TV quality. crazy world.

HD TVs may have cost thousands a few years ago, and were not owned by many...this is why Bernie put off HD broadcasting until now.

Pretty much any new TV is HD Ready nowadays, starting from about £100.
Quote from amp88 :The difference between standard and HD for F1 actually has a much greater impact than a lot of different areas (other sports, TV, movies etc). How many times have you been unable to tell what tyres a car was on because the picture wasn't quite sharp enough? How about quickly identifying a car from a long shot? Reading the dashboard / steering wheel display? F1 in HD will make a big different in real terms, rather than just looking a bit nicer.

Never had trouble at all.

Of course it's a natural progression to have higher resolution broadcasting. Maybe I am just imaging this but on HD TVs standard definition looks particularly poor over older generation TVs with SD. It's certainly the case with cheaper HD TVs where standard definition is disgusting. Maybe it's a deliberate ploy?

However, the amount people are paying for what is merely slightly better resolution, is laughable really.
Quote from Intrepid :Never had trouble at all.

Either you're lying, misremembering or you haven't watched a lot of racing. I'm tending to go with the first.
I'm looking forward to HD. So far, the only 'programme' I've watched that benefited has been David Attenborough documentaries, and one or two films on BluRay (though most BluRay films add a lot of noise to make up for the fact that HD doesn't add ANYTHING to the picture quality).

F1 will benefit from it. I'm annoyed I won't have HD where I live until the end of the season at the earliest. And my TV is only a second hand 720p one, but will still be nice (although as the broadcast will be in 1080i I'll be okay, as I think my TV can do that natively too).

But I have NEVER once thought the picture quality in 'SD' wasn't good enough to see the details I've needed to see. Hell, even in footage from the 60s and 70s there is enough detail to see everything vaguely important.
Quote from amp88 :Either you're lying, misremembering or you haven't watched a lot of racing. I'm tending to go with the first.

I've never had a problem with SD. Whether it's with bikes or cars I am also pretty quick to see if anyone has issues with tyres or what not. I don't buy new TVs as it's a waste of money for me. Older TVs tend to be better at SD than newer ones from my experience. I have watched SD on modern HD TVs and it's often dodgy. Maybe this is what you experience, and everyone else. My TV is much older than most.My old TV's picture quality has always been decent for SD.

In regard to cheap HD TVs. I have found them to be awful. Hooked up an xBox on one and in SD it was unplayable. On an older TV is looked fine in SD. You HAD to have it on HD on the HD TV to get a usable image.

I accept HD is 'better' in general, of course it is. As long as you get a decent HD TV that is (£££). It's common sense for F1 to move with the times and all that blahhh

Anyway what were we talking about again?
Quote from amp88 :Either you're lying, misremembering or you haven't watched a lot of racing. I'm tending to go with the first.

Onboards will still just be upscaled SD, so they won't be that much clearer if at all. And anyway, you need more than just an HD TV, you need an HD source - I highly doubt those without satellite/cable just now will be rushing out to get one before the start of the new season... or that BBC will offer HD one freeview outside London I think it is.
Quote from boothy :Onboards will still just be upscaled SD, so they won't be that much clearer if at all. And anyway, you need more than just an HD TV, you need an HD source - I highly doubt those without satellite/cable just now will be rushing out to get one before the start of the new season... or that BBC will offer HD one freeview outside London I think it is.

Should be in HD on iPlayer though, no? I don't have a working TV, so I watch all the coverage through there.

@Intrepid + tristan: So, you were able to read the steering wheel / dashboard displays of the cars from the 2010 coverage? If so, your eyesight must be fantastic.
Actually, you can read some aspects of the display on some cars!!! But the HD move won't make a difference, as the onboard cameras are upscaled HD - it doesn't add any clarity on stuff like that as the cameras can't pick it up. Upscaling just guesses the data inbetween known pixels to make the image smoother, but it can't add information.
I thought one of the reasons they didn't move to HD sooner was because they had no HD onboards, so I would guess they got some now since they decided to switch? I know MotoGP does HD onboard shots these days so I doubt F1 wont.

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG