The online racing simulator
Well my car already has 4 wheels same as F1, next I am going to buy pirelli tires .
Certainly can say I'm not happy about these radical changes, but who knows, maybe they'll provide good looking cars for the first time in a decade?
Yeah, the RPM limit is the most ridiculous part Just a few years ago we had engines reach 19k RPM, and now they want to limit it to almost half that.

Nonetheless, I am quite amazed by their goal of reaching 600 bhp from a 1.6 liter engine with a limiter of 10k. Retarded amounts of compression/boost? This will have to run on some crazy fuel made of unobtainium?
Quote from RasmusL :Nonetheless, I am quite amazed by their goal of reaching 600 bhp from a 1.6 liter engine with a limiter of 10k. Retarded amounts of compression/boost? This will have to run on some crazy fuel made of unobtainium?

They got ludicrous amounts of power out of the 1.5s in the 80s even before they got pneumatic valves in [limiting the revs to ~12000] so I doubt now they will struggle to get 600 out of a 1.6.

Doesn't the F2 engine deliver ~450 from a 1.6 anyway?
#31 - DeKo
Quote from pipa :Kers can only be used for 6 seconds ...

Currently, yes, but the way I understand this is that the other 150hp will be always available, essentially making the car 750hp, which is the same as the cars just now.
Quote from DeKo :Currently, yes, but the way I understand this is that the other 150hp will be always available, essentially making the car 750hp, which is the same as the cars just now.

I doubt they'll tell the drivers "just go and reach the KERS button in the corner exit". Once the car is straightened up they could have 1200 hp with KERS and it still wouldn't be exciting to watch and/or drive.

600 hp in a corner exit with the level of traction they have now is a joke.
  • Ban wings & allow ground effect - better racing as wings lose more downforce in turbulence.
  • 2.4L V6 turbo charged (no restriction on pressure). Limited engines per season. Turbo vs reliability regs to produce 1000hp to 1200hp in race trim.
  • Fuel allowance for the season. With no restriction on turbos then even a diddy team can whack up the pressure and give it the beans for a couple of races. If they run out of fuel allowance before the end of the season then they may only run minimal turbocharging. Whatever goes in for a race is lost from allowance, so you don't save by retiring.
  • Increase minimum weight by at least 300kg to increase braking distances and general.
That should mix things up a bit. Theoretically, anyone should have a chance to win. Red Bull would still be quick, but give Kamui enough fuel to have 150hp extra for a race or two
Quote from DeKo :Currently, yes, but the way I understand this is that the other 150hp will be always available, essentially making the car 750hp, which is the same as the cars just now.

I was thinking that way too.

Quote from PhilS13 :I doubt they'll tell the drivers "just go and reach the KERS button in the corner exit". Once the car is straightened up they could have 1200 hp with KERS and it still wouldn't be exciting to watch and/or drive.

There could be rule saying the electric motor must be controlled using the accelerator pedal. If they even need a rule for this, it might not be so practical to press the button n times per lap.
Oh, and ban telemetry except for dire safety stuff like tyre pressures.
Dont know what all the fuss is about. The scariest and most ludicrous days in F1 were the 1.5 turbo days. V8/V10/4 pot boost, who cares?

The cars will still go just as fast and will still make a ridiculous noise. Just more like a Group B rallycar than the current V screamers which cant be a totally bad thing.

The engineering challenge that the current engine configuration offers, will just be redirected into (lets face it) more accessable and useful technology. Performance capping will allow the lower teams to mix it with the big boys, whats so bad about that?
Quote from RasmusL :Audi 1.8 4-cylinder with 425 hp AFAIK. I guess 600 isn't very hard to obtain with the money these guys are spending. Remind you though, the engines in the 80s lasted for 1 qualification before a rebuild I think

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ... nes#1.8_R4_20vT_110-221kW

I'm kinda afraid it is. Turbocharged engines need to run on pretty rich fuel mixture to prevent them from blowing up. As long as these engines will use classic 98 MON unleaded fuel, I don't think it's possible to push them really hard. Add the fuel flow restrictions to the equasion and you get an awful engine with no torque(thus no power on the lower rev band) and huge turbo lag.
What I find the most ridiculous is the 120 kW power boost delivered by KERS. What will be next? Naaws or some solid rocket boosters?
Quote from yankman :+1
Can't agree more.

I just remember the discussion about the new points system, which somehow has proven good.
Less fuel consumption as well as usage of kers is something that can be later adapted for series production.
F1 will never be eco green sports or whatever but it may be become an innovator for new technologies again.

This season would of been EVEN CLOSER if we had the old points system. I agree with your last to points tho.
wtf. That is all I can say...... I bet they will be inline fours with not even a hint of F1 history in it's note.
You can't really get much more historical than 1.6L turbo as compressed 1.5L engines were part of the regs in 1950
#43 - JJ72
the power drop is sad, but it might probably has more torque yes?
Quote from JJ72 :the power drop is sad, but it might probably has more torque yes?

Not from that displacement.
Yeah much less torque at low RPM.. Low down torque means squat anyway, it has no meaning whatsoever in a sport like this. It's used for about ½ second at launch, and never again.
The engine will have to deliver more torque around the RPM limit to achieve the power they are claiming though.
if the manufacturers are happy then in theory it has to be a good thing, at least it's better than a set of engine regs that non of the manufacturers like, then we really could be left with just one engine supplier who can only manage to supply half the field and the rest will be reduced to looking round for something that fits the regs even if it's not competative.
I wonder if they will use Inline 4, V4 or Boxer 4 cylinders. Maybe there will be some different concepts
I just want to see what ferrari come up with, the last time they made a 4 was the Tipo 500 or the 625, I might be wrong?
Quote from burn4u :I just want to see what ferrari come up with, the last time they made a 4 was the Tipo 500 or the 625, I might be wrong?

The tipo was an Osella engine IIRC. but non the less, it's just the FIA's way of making all the cars have a Ferrari engine.
#50 - JCTK

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG