The online racing simulator
#1 - samjh
FOTA and FIA agree on new engines for 2013
**** off.
good, now they can stop pedalling to save fuel because they're too worried about aerodynamics to install bigger gas tanks.
Why don't we expect flinstones-style-acceleration in 2020?
Automobile engines to F1 cars, nice!! Its possible to get an F1 experience in Toyota Corolla very soon.

This looks very "un"promising, however same kind of engines were used in the 80's as far as i know, so it might not be such a bad thing. They should change the cars design 1st before anything, looking just awful right now.
This is bad.

My Jetta has a higher displacement than those F1 engines.
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Quote from dawesdust_12 :This is bad.

My Jetta has a higher displacement than those F1 engines.

and probably weighs twice as much.
Yes, I just think it's kinda comical, that what are the most technologically advanced cars (less now because of cost and safety) are effectively going dow to engines that are smaller than the average road car.
I wonder when the GP2 cars will be faster than the F1 cars. Looking at that crap, that may be the case in 2013.
And the size matters how? They're gonna squeeze 600 hp out of them it seems. In the 80s they had way over 1000 hp out of their 1.5L quali engines. Perhaps they will reconsider the power
Turbo compounding is also interesting, it's unusual in racing.

Sadly, power equalisation sucks majorly. So does the RPM limit
Quote from RasmusL :In the 80s they had way over 1000 hp out of their 1.5L quali engines.

which has **** all bearing on these engines if they artificially limit the power to 600hp through their equalisation scheme and presumably by requring the engines to last half a season
#13 - 5haz
Whats the attraction of building an F1 engine to demonstrate your technical ability if you're not allowed to build a better engine then everyone else, within 4 or 5 seasons the entire grid will be running one engine. How long before the entire grid has to run one chassis? If anything, 'engine equalisation' will stifle development and increasing efficiency, because engine manufacturers wont see the point in investing loads of money for no visible gain over the opposition.
Quote from 5haz :Whats the attraction of building an F1 engine to demonstrate your technical ability if you're not allowed to build a better engine then everyone else, within 4 or 5 seasons the entire grid will be running one engine. How long before the entire grid has to run one chassis? If anything, 'engine equalisation' will stifle development and increasing efficiency, because engine manufacturers wont see the point in investing loads of money for no visible gain over the opposition.

Totally agree, sorry for the cliche, but with that standardisation process, F1 is turning into GP1 year after year And I don't know if that's what the teams, the manufcturers and the fans want.
#15 - pipa
I do like efficient engines, but economic engines in the top racing series is removed.

Good luck finding viewers Bernie.
#16 - DeKo
The cars will make the same amount of power they do now, not a big deal.
This is meant to be the pinnacle of motor sport, so they should be going faster then everyone else. They should really put the X1 on the track, I want to see laptimes in and around 1 minute 5 second mark on the nerb ring.
Lets put ABS into F1
#19 - pipa
Quote from DeKo :The cars will make the same amount of power they do now, not a big deal.

They have around 750 now.
4 cylinders in an f1 car, did we skip back to the 40's or something, im totally with bernie opposing it, f1 isnt going to be the leading brand in motorsport if they introduce this. Also think of the challenge facing the drivers when they get into a 1000hp car that weighs less than a ton, massive challenge (even if tcs did help) they now produce 250hp less and cannot run for the whole race without conserving fuel. Putting the power down to 600hp is going to make the racing easier for these guys, and i dont think we will see the most talented drivers at the front.

f1 is going to lose plenty of viewers, hopefully the dtm, super gt and v8 supercars (possibly even nascar) can agree to making a series together, will be much better to watch
Quote from BBC :It is understood that a series of checks and balances have been written into the regulations to keep costs down and to ensure it should be impossible for one manufacturer to steal a march on the others in terms of performance.

This will primarily be done through resource restriction - such as limiting the amount of people or time that can be devoted to a project.

That doesn't sound so bad unless it really includes some kind of actual performance monitoring and then those who send nice letters to FIA get some special waivers like Renault not so long ago got? I hope there's a emphasis on the "nominality" of the bhp figure.

Quite typical responses. I can not believe people are seriously afraid 2013 cars are going to be slower than e.g. GP2. Also if the displacement size determines the pinnacleness of racing, then I guess F1 has never been the pinnacle. And of course FIA gets all the shit, despite that manufacturers probably drafted regs and the whole newstory was about manufacturers finally agreeing on this.

Quote from kirmy :4 cylinders in an f1 car, did we skip back to the 40's or something, im totally with bernie opposing it, f1 isnt going to be the leading brand in motorsport if they introduce this. Also think of the challenge facing the drivers when they get into a 1000hp car that weighs less than a ton, massive challenge (even if tcs did help) they now produce 250hp less and cannot run for the whole race without conserving fuel. Putting the power down to 600hp is going to make the racing easier for these guys, and i dont think we will see the most talented drivers at the front.

600 + 150 is not 750?

Quote :f1 is going to lose plenty of viewers

Likely those same viewers that vowed to never watch F1 again after every wrong rule change, scandal and political war.
#22 - pipa
The real shame is just that it's basicly trying to jump on the green eco publicity train.

More economical engines will hardly make up for the amount of fossil fuel that gets burned to transport their kit from track to track.

Kinda reminds me of BMW pulling out for the same reason and then coming up with the X6.

Just as Clarkson said "The Eco-mentalist is stupid" :P

Quote from deggis :600 + 150 is not 750?

Kers can only be used for 6 seconds ...
Wtf, 10K rpm limit... screw this.
Quote from deggis :
Likely those same viewers that vowed to never watch F1 again after every wrong rule change, scandal and political war.

+1
Can't agree more.

I just remember the discussion about the new points system, which somehow has proven good.
Less fuel consumption as well as usage of kers is something that can be later adapted for series production.
F1 will never be eco green sports or whatever but it may be become an innovator for new technologies again.
In the future people can brag about their car having the same number of cylinders as an F1 car!

Can't talk about power figures though...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG