The online racing simulator
Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
Had to walk home from school for about 45 minutes in fecking snow...it sucks I need summer.
Quote from jibber :I see nothing has changed with the UK and their ignorance of snow tires (it's not really rocket science to understand why they should be used). Really comical when you see all the pics posted in here with lots of snow, together with all the comments like "we don't have snow over here, no need for winter tires...". Dear lord...

It's not so much ignorance. It's more that for the vast majority of the last 25+ years we've had less than a week's worth of actual snow in the majority of the populated places in the UK. It just doesn't make financial sense to buy another set of wheels and tyres to use for a few sporadic days in the year. Sure, if what we're seeing this year (i.e. several days in a row with substantial snowfall and local authorities that can't afford to do a good job in clearing roads) then we might need to think about making the investment of winter tyres in the future. Clearly in countries where you have a real winter with substantial snowfall, sub-zero temperatures etc (e.g. Switzerland, Finland, Sweden) it makes perfect sense to buy winter tyres and another set of wheels because you actually do need them on a regular basis.
Actually, while we have decent winters here in switzerland, i can count the days i had to drive on snow last winter on one hand. This is simply because after it starts snowing, they'll salt the streets and the snow is gone. All the people in switzerland could apply the same logic as you people in the UK... since there's no actual snow on the road for 90% of the winter, we don't need winter tires. Luckily, our common sense has still worked so far.
Quote from Bob Smith :My 16" steelies should be delivered today...

Just arrived and packed into my car. One step closer to becoming a tractor...

Maybe I should invest in a toe rope too, and start charging people for pulling them out of the snow. Would go some way to recovering the small fortune this is costing me.
Quote from jibber :i can count the days i had to drive on snow last winter on one hand. This is simply because after it starts snowing, they'll salt the streets and the snow is gone.

I've been driving for over 8 years and I can count the number of days I've had to drive on snow on one hand. We have gritters over here too
Quote from amp88 :We have gritters over here too

Do they drive around on summer tires?
(ok, i'll let it go now...)
Quote from jibber :Do they drive around on summer tires?
(ok, i'll let it go now...)

315/75/ZR17 Semi-Slicks ill have you know
Quote from Hahmo :In Finland aswell. Should be in every scandinavian country though, right?

Yep, except for Denmark maybe. In northern parts of Norway, winter tyre season is from mid October until mid May, but usually the snow is gone by mid April and you can put on summer tyres then.
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :As south as you can go in NJ, Cape May.

nice,we were planning to go there with gf this summer,but didnt happen.(didnt feel like driving few hours XD)
:frosty: - 22 C atm, brrrr its too cold :/ and more snow next week
Uhhuh.

Attached images
snow!.jpg
Quote from Luke.S :yeah but as soon as everyone buys winter tires and snow chains it will never snow again. Its is what happens here.

That's why you have a set for when it DOES snow...... Just think how cool you will look in chains, knowing you bought them 3years ago even tho it stopped snowing when you got them, to cruise past many motorists who are stuck in silly places.

7 inches in west yorkshire and counting, theres huge snowflakes falling.
rain tonight, and then sub zero temps. should make for an intresting night of drinking
Its melting like mad here with rain too

interesting all the winter tyres debate, has anyone tried snow socks?

linky

Aparantly they are available at any vauxhall dealer here in the UK.

SD.
They are all over Amazon, though I like the centres more just because they have the crash dummy roundel on them, which I find mildly amusing.
About the same here, techarmy
cycling on snow didn't end well for me. SPD pedals unclipped in very steep descend, rear wheel jumped in the air, i landed upside down, heard a loud crack and bye bye collar-bone. Shit, i wanted to go to bicycle race before christmas...

My first words after crash were - Where the f**k are my sunglasses? And a lot of swearwords later. Well at least my bike, helmet and everything else except that f**king bone is ok... Even my sunglasses aren't broken. Good, that i'm insured.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Uhhuh.

Is that it?! Maybe another couple feet and you'll finally see the need for winter tyres....
Quote from KiRmelius :cycling on snow didn't end well for me. SPD pedals unclipped in very steep descend, rear wheel jumped in the air, i landed upside down, heard a loud crack and bye bye collar-bone. Shit, i wanted to go to bicycle race before christmas...

My first words after crash were - Where the f**k are my sunglasses? And a lot of swearwords later. Well at least my bike, helmet and everything else except that f**king bone is ok... Even my sunglasses aren't broken. Good, that i'm insured.

Ouch, all I ended up with after snow cycling was a slightly cut up calf. Going down a 16% hill, braking slightly I hit some ice, front wheel locked up and my underpants filled up with poo. Somewhere from wheel locking and pants filling with poo my calf got ripped up by something. Stings like a bastard, but suddenly quite a lot less after hearing your story.
Broken collar bone is very common injury among cyclists. It doesn't hurt very badly, but it takes hell a lot of time for a bone to recover. Damaged muscle is painful, but it recovers faster...

Injuries suck, now i'll have to sit at home and do nothing for at least a month. No fun on Christmas holidays. Shit.
Quote from KiRmelius :Broken collar bone is very common injury among cyclists. It doesn't hurt very badly, but it takes hell a lot of time for a bone to recover. Damaged muscle is painful, but it recovers faster...

Injuries suck, now i'll have to sit at home and do nothing for at least a month. No fun on Christmas holidays. Shit.

I realise that, I know too many people with buggered bodies from spills, but it always makes my smaller injuries seem a lot less dramatic. I am lucky in that I have only broken a few bones and if I can keep it that way I will. But I enjoy two wheels too much.

Sucks about the holiday deal though.
Quote from SparkyDave :Its melting like mad here with rain too

interesting all the winter tyres debate, has anyone tried snow socks?

linky

I saw a couple of British Gas vans wearing those on their driven wheels when the snow was at its worst. They seemed to work fairly well, they were doing better than the cars around them anyway.

Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG