The online racing simulator
had to laugh at the wonderfull "journalism" in the new of the world

apparently berni and his girlfriend were ambushed without warning.

unusual that, usually muggers phone up a week in advance to arrange the mugging with you and what you'll be carrying etc.
Quote from arox123 :The Malaysian Grand Prix will change its name to the Malaysia Grand Prix as part of the efforts to promote the country.

erm, what
Quote from JPeace :But then Alguersuari has been improving in his first full season of F1, how many seasons has Buemi had already?

Half a season more?
Quote from Mustafur :Half a season more?

Full season more, actually.

Here are some stats, for comparison. Alguersuari, while he scored less points (but 8 points versus 5 is hardly decisive), appears to have driven a more consistent season.

Alguersuari:
% finished in points = 15.8%
% finished 11th or better = 42.1%
% finished 12th or better = 57.9%
% finished 13th or worse = 42.1%

Buem:
% finished in points = 21.1%
% finished 11th or better = 31.6%
% finished 12th or better = 47.4%
% finished 13th or worse = 52.6%
Quote from samjh :Full season more, actually.

Only 9 more races in fact. Buemi has done the whole 2009 and 2010 seasons. Alguersuari has done the last 8 races of 2009, plus the whole 2010 season.

That said, Buemi also has a bit more experience in feeder series, with a full season of A1GP, GP2 Asia and GP2 Europe.
Quote from Fuse5 :erm, what

They must have something against the letter "N" over there.
Quote from samjh :Full season more, actually.

Here are some stats, for comparison. Alguersuari, while he scored less points (but 8 points versus 5 is hardly decisive), appears to have driven a more consistent season.

Alguersuari:
% finished in points = 15.8%
% finished 11th or better = 42.1%
% finished 12th or better = 57.9%
% finished 13th or worse = 42.1%

Buem:
% finished in points = 21.1%
% finished 11th or better = 31.6%
% finished 12th or better = 47.4%
% finished 13th or worse = 52.6%

What about qualifying?
Quote from Williams Press Release :
1 December 2010. Grove, UK. Williams F1 today confirmed that Pastor Maldonado will contest the 2011 FIA Formula One World Championship for the AT&T Williams team. The appointment finalises the team’s line up for next year following confirmation in November that Rubens Barrichello will remain with the British squad for a further season.

Who ?
Quote from Becky Rose :Who ?

Pastor is sponsored by the Venezuelan Government as well as state owned petroleum company PDVSA.

Who says motorsport is a money game?
#60 - CSF
-
(Intrepid) DELETED by Intrepid
Quote from Intrepid :Pastor is sponsored by the Venezuelan Government as well as state owned petroleum company PDVSA.

Who says motorsport is a money game?

Better Pastor than Milka Duno
#62 - DeKo
Hülkenberg made Maldonado look daft when they were in the same cars in GP2, even though it was Hulks rookie season and Maldonado was in his second season. Fair enough Maldonado did win this years GP2, but it wasn't exactly the strongest GP2 field ever. Anybody who says his appointment is about anything but money is a liar. I hope Hulk gets a drive, he deserves it a lot more than some of the garbage pay drivers.
Quote from DeKo :Hülkenberg made Maldonado look daft when they were in the same cars in GP2, even though it was Hulks rookie season and Maldonado was in his second season. Fair enough Maldonado did win this years GP2, but it wasn't exactly the strongest GP2 field ever. Anybody who says his appointment is about anything but money is a liar. I hope Hulk gets a drive, he deserves it a lot more than some of the garbage pay drivers.

Are you suggesting F1 doesn't represent the pinnacle of driving talent in the world? But TV sez so?
Quote from DeKo :and Maldonado was in his second season.

Third, actually. Though he didn't take part in 2007's 4 last races.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastor_Maldonado

And well, I think this year's GP2 field was fine, lots of promising talents around IMO, but most of them still lack of consistancy. Maldonado won by being in the pace everywhere(until he got that title, since he messed up big time the last few rounds), and by being always very strong in feature race, though he wasn't the best in quali. Sure, he had a big advantage with his experience, but he went and took the title, we can't deny that afterall, though he might have not been the most impressive in the past.

I think he is despised because he is a paying driver and because he often acts daft in traffic situations. Otherwise it doesn't chock me to see him in F1, of course he probably isn't worth an Hulkenberg, but still
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Third, actually. Though he didn't take part in 2007's 4 last races.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastor_Maldonado

And well, I think this year's GP2 field was fine, lots of promising talents around IMO, but most of them still lack of consistancy. Maldonado won by being in the pace everywhere(until he got that title, since he messed up big time the last few rounds), and by being always very strong in feature race, though he wasn't the best in quali. Sure, he had a big advantage with his experience, but he went and took the title, we can't deny that afterall, though he might have not been the most impressive in the past.

I think he is despised because he is a paying driver and because he often acts daft in traffic situations. Otherwise it doesn't chock me to see him in F1, of course he probably isn't worth an Hulkenberg, but still

What i don't get is, most the f1 teams have reduced spending under the concorde agreement yet pay drivers are more apparent then ever, whats going wrong then?
Quote from Mustafur :What i don't get is, most the f1 teams have reduced spending under the concorde agreement yet pay drivers are more apparent then ever, whats going wrong then?

What's happening? Motorsport is quite well developed. If you show a reasonable amount of speed then with enough funds you could be developed to a high enough level you can enter F1 without embarrassing yourself. No longer are pay drivers the risk they once were. A driver can bring in significant sums, and still perform to a high enough level that it makes financial sense. Pastor is going to be pretty good.

Teams haven't imposed a spending cap, just a commitment to reduce spending. Either way if someone rocks up with $15,000,000 on the table you will take it. Especially if ur a team in financial trouble, which I suspect Williams is after ditching the very good Hulk. Also, Williams also needs the investment to develop it's other commercial interests, though don't just do F1 any more. They have hybrid technology departments etc.... Money coming in is very important for a team like them as they have to run as a business not just a race team which just looks to break even.

I do however see state-backed drivers as a serious change in F1. Prices for seats are going to go through the roof. We have only maybe 3-4 teams right now in F1 who are not interested in pay-drivers, but that can soon change once countries start offering £20mil, £40 mil, even £100mil. Even then, when a team looks to hire talent where do they look? Everything is so money driven now, more so than it has ever been.

Is this good for F1 credentials as a sport? Nope, probably not. But as long as viewers turn on their TV to watch the 20 so-called best drivers on the planet, nothing will change.
#67 - DeKo
Quote from DeKo :Can I borrow your crystal ball?

yeah, no problem

I should have added that the he will achieve above expectations. Reason being that when people think of pay-drivers they think of past guys who were useless. but with advances in driver training, as well as access to race cars and their increasing ease of use, pay-drivers can get up to a decent standard. Hence we'll hear "people doubted him at the start, but this result proves he's F1 standard" a lot by TV companies justifying why they spend huge amounts of money following this show around the world
Interesting to see Hulkenberg in 8th place! What more could he have done?
Maybe he could have scored more than half the points that his team mate did?
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Maybe he could have scored more than half the points that his team mate did?

In the modern era of next to zero testing, it's a bit silly to expect a rookie to out-score an opponent who spent the second half of 2009 outscoring the eventual world champion.
Disagree. Apart from his Hollywood moment in Brazil he had a solid but unspectacular season of steady progress. 8th place was about right. I'm surprised that people are so blinded by hype.
I know, I also hated the hype around one of his fellow countrymen who only scored 1 point above half of his team mate's tally. Totally overrated!
Quote from Intrepid :I do however see state-backed drivers as a serious change in F1. Prices for seats are going to go through the roof.

Bring back the A1GP!

Meanwhile, Max Mosley speaks again:
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=396016

Quote :A 20-race calendar is too long for Formula One, according to former FIA president Max Mosley.

2010's tally of 19 races was the equal-biggest in the history of the sport, and next year the rally is growing to twenty rounds.

The USA and Russia are set to join possibly more additional grands prix in the near future, moving Sir Frank Williams to recently muse that he can envisage a 22-race schedule before long.

"For me personally, it's too much," Mosley told the German newspaper Welt.

"In my opinion that's too many Sunday afternoons to expect people to dedicate to Formula One. At some point, it starts to become tiresome.

"And then if you start skipping a race here and there it can quickly become a habit and it can snowball in terms of the TV ratings," he added.

Mosley, whose successor as FIA president is the former Ferrari boss Jean Todt, is also worried that F1 team budgets are still far too high.

"In January 2008 I warned that without cost reduction it won't be only the small teams having problems," said the 70-year-old Briton.

"It has arrived: Honda, BMW, Toyota and Renault have gone because the budgets are out of proportion.

"This continues to be true and it worries me," admitted Mosley.

"There is the risk of a crisis in the short term," he insisted. "Currently, a great season is being celebrated but the future looks bleak.

"For 2011 you need $100 million, with 30 or 40 from Bernie Ecclestone, perhaps 20 to 25 from sponsors or the drivers. I'd say six teams are wondering where the rest is coming from.

"It's quite possible we'll lose two or three teams," warned Mosley.

His final act as FIA president was to entice new privateers onto the grid with very small budgets, but Lotus, Virgin and HRT have been criticised for lacking competitiveness.

"I don't agree," said Mosley. "They need to be given time to improve.

"Virgin's development has been downright revolutionary. Their car was built entirely without a wind tunnel and that's a warning for the likes of McLaren because their wind tunnels are like running a small town.

"On the other hand Virgin developed a car only with computer simulation and it's only two or three seconds slower.

"No one can argue that the huge cost of the wind tunnels is justified."

Mosley said a quick fix to the looming crisis would be a budget cap for 2012 and 2013, requiring teams to tighten their belts immediately.

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG