The online racing simulator
the thread youre looking for is here http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=63604

why on earth does every one of these posters think that their thread & overall point behind the thread is unique.
"Scavier on a tropical island, run off with our monies?" "Scavier working on iRacing instead?" "Scavier having more babies?" ... (hint: not different topics actually)

Please stop rephrasing & rewording the same issue and go play a different game.
Dont you guys realize, that as every day passes, LFS falls behind more and more and more, due to the tiny dev. team size, and them trying to add more and more things, the time it will take them to complete the tasks is exponentially greater, and it has reached a point where when they finish said tasks (if they ever do), they are close to obsolete, so scawn gets started on updating them again, and since it takes a tiny dev team so long to do, by the time the 2nd update to the original update is almost done, its once again, completely obsolete, then wash\rinse\repeat the process x infinity.

And that my friends, is why LFS has been dead a long time.
Why it's not you making LFS.
Quote from PioneerLv :I'm getting very curious. If the Live For Speed would be a political system, then which one it would be?

Dictatorial ofcourse
We understand that the tyre model's difficult. But tracks? There are legions of people knocking out free tracks for other sims all the time. I can tell you some of the LFS'ers over at iRacing - and most of the fastest sim racers seem to be there now - say going back to those glassy smooth LFS tracks holds little appeal.

But even if the theory's correct that it was the laser scanned Rockingham that exposed tyre model problems, they could still knock out something even if it's flat, but just different. Doesn't look good.
Quote from RMachucaA :Dont you guys realize, that as every day passes, LFS falls behind more and more and more

LfS falls behind what?
Quote from RMachucaA :Dont you guys realize, that as every day passes, LFS falls behind more and more and more, due to the tiny dev. team size, and them trying to add more and more things, the time it will take them to complete the tasks is exponentially greater, and it has reached a point where when they finish said tasks (if they ever do), they are close to obsolete, so scawn gets started on updating them again, and since it takes a tiny dev team so long to do, by the time the 2nd update to the original update is almost done, its once again, completely obsolete, then wash\rinse\repeat the process x infinity.

And that my friends, is why LFS has been dead a long time.

Sorry but your point makes no sense what so ever, the current development is mainly the the new tyre physics, once these are finished how can they become obsolete, if they are made to be as accurate as possible now then hopefully they should not need any reworking in the future, which I guess is why it's taking so long, if they get a near perfect tyre model finished and working then future development can be focused on other things.

The "tiny dev team" have done a good job so far in that LFS is still one of the most realistic racing sim on the market, sure it would be nice to have updates on a regular basis but they have always stated that they work at their own pace and in their own way, I don't see a problem with that, at the end of the day most people have been (and still are) racing S2 for several years for just a one off small licence fee, if you want constant updates and content then go pay for it at iRacing
Ruled by one or three Jong-Il; what's the difference? And what's this broken analogy supposed to demonstrate?
Quote from Breizh :Ruled by one or three Jong-Il; what's the difference?

Nothing. Might make less problems with succession if one of them dies brutally I guess, but who knows.

Quote :And what's this broken analogy supposed to demonstrate?

Nothing.
Perhaps if we all chipped in some £$ we could buy LFS off of Scawen etc.? It might be possible, to be perfectly honest... (in terms of cash needed - even if the Dev's did agree to sell). After that, we could open source it and develop it ourselves somehow.
again with the OSS stuff...

i'm as much of a fan of OSS as the next guy, but the developers have the right to choose whether to release the source or not, and in all fairness, i can't see them doing it.
No. LFS will not degrade in quality. Scawen didn't code in if (time() > 1034343){ physics = suck;}... It's other sims will improve, moving the relative bar of what makes a sim "good".
but other race sims will be better because they have a big company
Quote from marcel1 :but other race sims will be better because they have a big company

Big company doesn't make the sim better in any ways.

Though, bigger company with much more workers have mmmuuch faster work rate, so they can publish all stuff much quicker.. They might do stuff much more easily than scawen by himself, because they have many heads thinking over the one thing - scawen is doing everything by himself which makes the job much harder and takes a lot of time. We should respect the work he puts in to this.
Quote from Scawen :[...] Anyway, you may be assured we have not stopped development. I guess if we stopped development then we'd make a post about it. I'm not sure how that would happen, maybe if I got run over or contracted a fatal illness or perhaps someone will come and offer me a flight to the moon but I have to train at NASA for a couple of years. Unlikely, and there's really nothing better I can do than work on this simulator. [...]

---
Quote from Hahmo :We should respect the work he puts in to this.

amen.

It is quite funny to see how people here try to assume the LFS aging problem in place of the devs. Comrades! seriously the LFS (S2) dates from 2004, six years of lifespan (at least) for a racing game is amazing enough. Let it die in peace if it has to die, just let the devs to decide, their objectives regarding LFS are probably completed, I don't have to know what they are anyway... LFS status bores me but threads like this one is boring me more because nothing happened already for a long time from your past devs aggression tentatives. Just enjoy the game like it is now, like you want. Nothing from you all will make the devs to work in a different way from the one (a bad one indeed) they chosen.

Just play it or wait for the next kick-ass sim. Even praying your favorite god is more intelligent than debating the LFS fate. Everything has an end (I love this conclusion)
Scavier should look at the example of Urban Terror. It's been around for many years, first as a mod of Quake 3 then as a standalone and soon as its own game. It's free, and the admins have been recently recruiting new developers, that without receiving any money are doing an amazing job rendering new weapons, improving the characters, etc. Of course they have specific ways of recruiting, and only 2 or 3 entered, but it does make a huge difference.

There's absolutely no reason why LFS is made by Scavier and not any other combination of names (people). Those 3 just happened to meet and have similar ideas. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people out there that would fit the same criterea, that is, be as good if not better in the group, both as friends and developers. Reminds me when guys feel something special for a girl, and say she's the one, when there are many more out there, as special, perhaps even better suited for them.

Since they decided to close themselves down to 3, be stubborn and not hear what others were saying about recruting more devs, well it's not easy nowadays, to make a simulator with just 3 people. In the end, they managed to do a good simulator, albeit an unfinished one. Can't say i'm surprised the pace as slowed to a stand, as much as i would prefer it not to.
Quote from LiveForBoobs :Those 3 just happened to meet and have similar ideas. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people out there that would fit the same criterea

Hawai hotels can't accommodate more LFS developers.
You guys really think that there is gonna be a new patch? Well, doh forget about it. Scawen is busy making another kid.. It seems that this one takes a bit more time.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :You guys really think that there is gonna be a new patch? Well, doh forget about it. Scawen is busy making another kid.. It seems that this one takes a bit more time.

This brand new low was presented by ExLax

Pissing off devs since 2006
Quote from Hahmo :Big company doesn't make the sim better in any ways.

Though, bigger company with much more workers have mmmuuch faster work rate, so they can publish all stuff much quicker.. They might do stuff much more easily than scawen by himself, because they have many heads thinking over the one thing - scawen is doing everything by himself which makes the job much harder and takes a lot of time. We should respect the work he puts in to this.

That leaves out a reality of the large majority of big game dev houses: the idiot execs who force the actual content/feature developers to make idiot content and features because "it'd be so cool". E.G. A relative of mine who's worked in a few major studios reported the same thing. This is why you have major blockbuster games nowadays with some bugs/features/false notes that any amateur knows at first sight how to do better.
Quote from Breizh :That leaves out a reality of the large majority of big game dev houses: the idiot execs who force the actual content/feature developers to make idiot content and features because "it'd be so cool". E.G. A relative of mine who's worked in a few major studios reported the same thing. This is why you have major blockbuster games nowadays with some bugs/features/false notes that any amateur knows at first sight how to do better.

So do you call LFS some "blockbuster game with some bugs/features/falses"?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG