The online racing simulator
Top Gear USA [Spoiler Alert]
(49 posts, started )
I could have sworn there was already a thread for this, but I can't find it... maybe on another forum.
first episode is already uploaded on final gear in torrent form if you haven;t seen it. I would suggest not reading below this if you wish to watch the show without first reading my take on it.

Anyhow, here are my observations from the first episode and how it compares to the original. I did my best to be fair, but many things below are just my opinions:
1. not as polished as the original... yet. There were several awkward pauses and segments that were drawn out too long, but I expect this will be fixed .
2. Annoying use of speeding up the film to make the cars appear as if they are going super fast while they aren't in several cut-scenes. Probably the thing that annoyed me the most about the show.
3. The hosts: Did not try to be Clarkson, Hammond, and May. Very thankfully. They are their own people with their own personalities. Seemed uncomfortable at times in the role of presenting a TV show, but I have high hopes that they will improve. They each showed brief flashes of brilliance in the show. And equally all had awkward moments.
4. Tanner Foust: cannot drive in a straight line to save his life. The 2-time American Drift champion and rallycross gold medalist is true to form, putting everything in sight sideways and backwards. He definitely knows his sh*t though. Gained major kudos with me for describing the Viper as hard to drive and his knowledge of shifting from hearing a Lamborghini almost a mile away. An automotive purist with gasoline in his veins. Not comfortable as a presenter yet, he had several very awkward moments. However, he showed occasional brilliance that gives me hope he will grow quickly into that role. He will be the first to tell you that your million dollar baby is complete sh*t, but may stumble a bit on how to tell you that.
5 . Adam Ferrara: the comedian is the best presenter of the three. Had some genuinely funny moments, very smooth delivery most of the time. His interview of Aldrin started out well, but the second half got awkward. I would bet he has almost never, if ever, done an interview before though, I have high hopes he will pick up the skill quickly. Most likely to just sit back and enjoy the ride, but also most likely to make the viewers enjoy the ride.
6. Rutledge Wood: the one presenter that hasn't already started to carve out a warm fuzzy place in my heart. He's not all that bad a presenter. And he knows a bit about cars. I just found nothing to really connect with in the first episode from him. Maybe he'll grow on me, or he may become the one I always root against in challenges. Annoying at times, seemed somewhat uncomfortable presenting on the fly. Had some good moments though, creamsicle and bananorama was pretty good. Most Southern of the three, I actually thought he seemed too polished for his own good. A little more rough and tumble good ol boy would do him well.
7. American Stig needs more hype. He didn't really get a proper introduction.
8. I am a huge fan of the British Top Gear. I love the back and forth between the hosts. But there was a sense of familiarity about having American presenters for me that just felt good somewhere in my heart. I can only hope that the presenters will in time pick up the same level of simultaneous camaraderie and hatred that the Brits present.
9. Some technical difficulties. Cameras in car very vibrate-y. I heard that there were technical problems in the studio during the filming of the studio sections. Not really all that surprising and should be ironed out soon I would guess.
10. I hate commercials.
11. It's not British Top Gear. thank god. Or at British Top Gear's standard or really anywhere near it. yet. There are huge improvements to be made for sure. But I saw enough things that give me hope. I will definitely be watching this from now on, hopefully I will watch it progress quickly.
12. I don't expect the British/ other Europeans to ever like it as much as their own familiar version. And I expect many will bash it from the very start and never give it a fair chance.
13. Parts of it appeared way too scripted. I am absolutely certain the "chase" of the Viper was a whole lot of driving around at moderate speeds on roads with a Cobra helicopter following behind.

I could go on forever but my hands are tired of typing now.
So yeah did anyone else watch this? opinions?
I watched, and I have to say that you really ddid pick up on just about everything. The Cobra Challenge was pretty bad, but I have high hopes for the next show after they showed the sneak peak for the season.
Completely forgot about it. What channel is this on? I missed it, but our wonderful cable and satellite television services in this country will give me 113354135 more times this week to catch it.
Quote from mrodgers :Completely forgot about it. What channel is this on? I missed it, but our wonderful cable and satellite television services in this country will give me 113354135 more times this week to catch it.

And just as many ad breaks. Most US TV is 90% ad break, 8% intro/credits and 2% content.
Quote from mrodgers :Completely forgot about it. What channel is this on? I missed it, but our wonderful cable and satellite television services in this country will give me 113354135 more times this week to catch it.

History HD IIRC.

I watched the episode, and there were some things that bothered me. The lack of real chemistry between the presenters was a major turn-off, but this is something that will get better over time, as mentioned. Admittedly, being a little anti-drift-scene I went into with a bit of a bias against Tanner, but he seems like a pretty decent guy and impressed me, so that was a plus. The worst part of it, though, is how damned quiet it was. There was no backing music (at least, not enough) in many of the 'scenes,' which made it feel a little budget and half-hearted. I know licensing deals in the US are a major pain in the ass compared to the EU, but this is something they seriously need to invest in, from a production standpoint.

The way the Stig was introduced annoyed me; they removed all the subtlety of the mystery, instead deciding to bluntly tell the audience that he was a mystery. I know the average American viewer is not as receptive to nuance like the European viewer, but seriously, you don't need to smack your viewers in the face with a sledgehammer to make them understand a quip. I hated how they kept saying 'big star, little car' over and over again. That got annoying, and the interview was pretty painful, to be honest.

The Snake vs. Snake portion annoyed me, it seemed like too many disparate parts slapped together. It had no flow, and again, no chemistry. The presenters seemed too rigid. As I said, the chemistry will improve over time... hopefully the production does, too.

I did notice that the intro was exactly the same, in essence, as the 'new format' top gear episode one introduction, too, where they deliberately say what the show was about. Not sure how I feel about that one.

Much of the 'joke' nature seems to have been too forced. I'm reluctant to say scripted, instead I'll opt for the term 'censored.' Political incorrectness is at the foundation of the UK show's comedy, and that is something that does not fly in America. I think that one factor alone will prevent it from ever being as good as the original. Not the crew's fault, by any means, that's the country's fault.

All in all... some promise. I'm not holding my breath for a great series, but I will still follow it and try to keep an open mind.

History Channel

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :And just as many ad breaks. Most US TV is 90% ad break, 8% intro/credits and 2% content.

that might be just a little bit of an exaggeration.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :And just as many ad breaks. Most US TV is 90% ad break, 8% intro/credits and 2% content.

25% ad break actually.
missed it as well...probably will never actually watch it, but if it is on, i will flip to it.

but from the sounds of it, they are just getting the hang of it, so i have faith
DL'd it

Watched and it's okay, but has a way to go to match the UK version

Actually, compare the two first ever episodes (UK new format, US) and see which is 'better'
Quote from DieKolkrabe :DL'd it

Watched and it's okay, but has a way to go to match the UK version

Actually, compare the two first ever episodes (UK new format, US) and see which is 'better'

New format UK is definitely better. Lower production quality and less flash than it has now, but Clarkson's still as un-PC as ever. That's my favorite aspect of the show; the fact that it pisses people off. I'm sort of a bad person, though.
I liked this.

It's definitely Top Gear. OTT "race" against a helicopter had Top Gear written all over it with the pretense of the contest and general scripted feel, but it was entertaining. Spectacular driving from someone who obviously is a whole lot better than any of the UK trio ever will be, and spectacular footage with some incredible moments - particularly the Viper making smoke and the 'copter pitching upwards toward the sky before turning on its tail, all with passing traffic only a stone's throw away.

It trailed off a bit after that but still worth a watch if you like Top Gear, and the montage of clips looks like there'll be some good stuff in future episodes.
Quote from MAGGOT :I know licensing deals in the US are a major pain in the ass compared to the EU, but this is something they seriously need to invest in, from a production standpoint.

The BeeB will always have it easy for song use as they have very good deals with the record labels which means they can pretty much use anything they want. Plus they use the "first 30 seconds is free" get out of jail card a lot. They will use the same 10-20 second loop.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :They will use the same 10-20 second loop.

I've noticed this in TG a few times
I've just watched the US version and I think I've just had a stroke. It is like watching 3 guys using a handicam film a car review for YouTube.

And the celeb section is pointless. Why even bother with it? He came on, had a few lines then buggered off. If they don't have time to plug their books then they won't come on the show.
Yeah, the "interview" (if you can even call it that) was really bad... Speaking 10 seconds about the guest's achievements, then list all the cars he ever owned was a waste of airtime... Off the top of my head I'd have three questions relating to Aldrin's spacefaring adventure, which I think would have been 1000x more fascinating than the fact he owned a Saab at one point in his life... Constant yakking throughout the lap (the awkward? silence would have been better) didn't make the segment any better too...

The heli-part would have been better if it hadn't been a straight copy of the original TG film...

The Lambo-Part was ok though, and makes me hope that the show can grow out of being a (bad) rip-off into something more of an homage...
Quote from bbman :Yeah, the "interview" (if you can even call it that) was really bad... Speaking 10 seconds about the guest's achievements, then list all the cars he ever owned was a waste of airtime... Off the top of my head I'd have three questions relating to Aldrin's spacefaring adventure, which I think would have been 1000x more fascinating than the fact he owned a Saab at one point in his life... Constant yakking throughout the lap (the awkward? silence would have been better) didn't make the segment any better too...

The heli-part would have been better if it hadn't been a straight copy of the original TG film...

The Lambo-Part was ok though, and makes me hope that the show can grow out of being a (bad) rip-off into something more of an homage...

It reminds me of old kids TV which assumed that anyone under 25 has an attention span under 60 seconds so all interviews were conducted in a similar fashion "wow, you make music, do you like it? great, moving on."

The Aussies did something similar too, only it was a Scooby.
#17 - JJ72
Who's that guy lynch? He has almost no contribution to the show. Tanner is obviously the spokesman of real driving enthusiasts with his skill and knowledge, the other dude carries most of the show segments and the interview and at least attempted some witty one liners. But lynch just sits there like a dead weight looking stupid? Everytime he tries to throw paddy insults towards Tanner I can just imagine his pain living with that moron.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :It reminds me of old kids TV which assumed that anyone under 25 has an attention span under 60 seconds

well it is for americans

also it was kinda shite in general

i think if i were to start up a new top gear the first episode would be a huge special that competes with the bolivia one in terms of epicness
first of all specials are always the best bit about top gear and also it gives the presenters time to bond which will make any of the folling episodes infinitely better
Okay, so I thought I'd give this another try, out of fairness. I have to be honest, it is no better and they aren't being all that original so far (of course there isn't much they could do). The whole blind man drifting is just a rehash of an old TG stunt. And the racing skiers down a ski slop deal felt really uncomfortable. They just need send the guys off on a big road trip so they learn to gel together as that is what did it for the TGUK chaps.

TG Australia works better, series 3 is the best as they have done a lot of trips so the banter is there. That is really the problem with TGUS, the guys just don't appear to get on, the banter is building, but sending them to the moon with some ratty vehicles and expect them to work together will help the show.

The guide dog pissed over the studio reminds me of Blue Peter (and my yoof) and all of the animal accidents they have had.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :[...]but sending them to the moon with some ratty vehicles and expect them to work together will help the show.[...]

Now that I'd like to see
This week's episode is the Moonshine Challenge so they're finally going to be put in some crappy cars. Hopefully this one will be a bit better
I've been looking forward to the Moonshine episode. The crummy second hand car challenges are what seem to make the presenters gel.
Give it a chance. It's TopGear, so of course a lot of will be a rehash of the original Top Gear. I'm sure a lot of features are just lifted straight from it, in fact. It's a workable formula which TopGear UK still adheres to frequently: "Take new car somewhere interesting, introduce alternative mode of transport, have a "race" from point a to point b."

It has always been awkward.

The presenters seem okay and generally more amusing than annoying so it's fine. I thought the blind man drifting part was excellent too. If it were Top Gear UK then someone would DEFINITELY have smashed through the boxes, if not set them alight, so I gave them kudos for that. It was done with a sense of honesty and confidence that TGUK often lacks.
I was half expecting him to come on stage and pull of his glasses and say something like "Wow drifting made me see again" But in topgear UK they would have smashed through the boxes or broken the car. Or set the boxes / car on fire.
They are avoiding the obvious jokes which is a nice change, but the team just don't click yet, which I think would come from a few long adventures/cheap car challenges. Given the size and variable landscapes of the states, it lends itself to some massive road trips.

(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG