The online racing simulator
Weapons in the home...
(149 posts, started )
I carry two blades on me at all times to defend myself with

Doesn't hurt I collect 'em though, and keep them within reach in case of trouble. At last count I had about 20 swords (yes, 20) laying about.

Paranoia? No I call it preparedness. And what I don't use I can sell
No, I don't think people should keep weapons in their house, even if the weapons are just strategically placed household items.

And I don't even bother locking my front door at night.
That's your viewpoint but IF it happens I'd rather have something handy to defend myself with
Mind you, your enemies can use those weapons too. As soon as you resort to weapons, your enemy will too. If he already has done so, good luck finding a weapon in time.
Quote from Vain :I can't see how pointing a gun at a possibly armed guy's face makes you any safer. The only possible result I can see is that your chances of death rise from about 0-0.5% in a normal robbery to 50% in a straight stand-off between two scared guys who both fear for their lives.

Also consider the chance of yourself killing a 16 year old teenager who thought your place was vacated and the possibility of mis-use of the gun by someone else or yourself under emotional stress.

The only thing a gun can do is kill. If that's what you want, keep it. If you want to avoid killing or getting killed, don't keep it.

Vain

Also: this.
Quote from tristancliffe :No, I don't think people should keep weapons in their house, even if the weapons are just strategically placed household items.

And I don't even bother locking my front door at night.

Best not mention that to your contents insurer , just in case like
I work on the principle I'd rather be able to get out quickly (in the event of, say, fire) than worrying about the even remoter chance of someone getting in.

If there is a fire, and if I (or whoever else is in the house) panic (and people, even rational people or people that like taking risks, are prone to panic when under extreme stress) and can't get the key in the door, or breaks the key in the lock... well that worries me a lot more than somebody coming in and taking my TV whilst I'm powerless to stop them.
Haven't read any comment in this topic, so I might say something which has already been said...

I think anyone with a license should be allowed to have guns in the house.

Myself I have a whole collection of weapons from WW2.

For example a M1-Garand, a Thompson, some pistols such as the Walther's and some grenades.

Also a few modern pistols.
Quote from jibber :Dude, i live in switzerland. It's pretty safe here.

Isn't it the law in Switzerland that all men of a certain age are required to keep a gun in the house, as part of the country's standing army? Or is than an urban myth?
Twice in my life i've awoken to find someone with a knife robbing me.

On both occasions making a load of noise and shouting at them to get the f**k out of my house was all that was needed for them to do exactly that.

As a rule, these people carry a weapon to scare you, not to harm you.

I have no doubt that if I had tried to attack either of these guys with a weapon I would have had a very high chance of being stabbed.

Having a weapon wont protect you, it's more likely to get you killed.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Isn't it the law in Switzerland that all men of a certain age are required to keep a gun in the house, as part of the country's standing army? Or is than an urban myth?

People who are in the army have a swiss army rifle at home until they are done with the obligatory service. After that they have to give the weapon back to the army. Even this is something that is considered a problem by some people (the fact that every army recruit has a weapon at home).

We had things happen like somebody freaking out over a fight and then going home to get that rifle and return with it to the scene. We also had a guy at work who came to work one morning wearing his army uniform and holding his army rifle in his hands.

These people usually get arrested very quickly.

So again, these examples show that weapons don't protect anybody most of the time, much more likely, they simply cause trouble for everyone.
Quote from thisnameistaken :No I don't keep random weapons concealed around my house, are you mad?

If someone does break into my house (which is very unlikely to happen) and that person is willing to attack the occupant rather than scarper if they are disturbed (even less likely to happen) then the last thing I would want to do is take a weapon to them.

For one thing it'll be obvious to a judge that you kept that object around for the express purpose of killing someone with, and if you lose it it's going to be used against you. In fact if your visiting friends have found these "hidden" weapons what makes you think an invader won't also see them?

If they're planning to get violent they'll probably come tooled up for it anyway, so you'll be ****ed whether you've got a weapon or not.

Agree.

On a more personal note, I leave my front door unlocked overnight and have never had a problem. I have a big bread knife but I use that for cutting bread. However I would use it in an event such as one of my bikes being (attempted to be) stolen, but obviously would rather stay away from trouble.

Either have an AK47 or something massive, perhaps a SPAS-12 or a G36, or have nothing.
Quote from The Moose :Twice in my life i've awoken to find someone with a knife robbing me.

On both occasions making a load of noise and shouting at them to get the f**k out of my house was all that was needed for them to do exactly that.

As a rule, these people carry a weapon to scare you, not to harm you.

I have no doubt that if I had tried to attack either of these guys with a weapon I would have had a very high chance of being stabbed.

Having a weapon wont protect you, it's more likely to get you killed.

If shouting at them leave, surely waving a wheel brace in their face will make them move double time.
#39 - PoVo
Personally, I have a meter long 5cm in diameter brass-bar in my room, which is beside my bed (unseen, to the wall side of the bed), which was put there about 3 years ago
Guys, I keep this on my person at all times:

Quote from danowat :Wow, paranoia much.

Not really.

Given the kind of shit I've been through (Which isn't much compared to say, soldiers or something) but maybe you would be too.

Different situations lead to different actions.
I can just imagine the size of the marshmellows that thing fires... truly terrifying stuff dawesdust.
-
(Luke.S) DELETED by Luke.S
2 weeks ago, my mom went to work and her friend/co-worker(also lives in our neighborhood, maybe like 1/4 mile away) told her about how her house was robbed, they stole her jewelry, and her son's clothes/shoes. Now we live in a pretty nice neighborhood, never had any problems like this. But there has been two teens in our neighborhood, who are meth-addicts(apparently one overdosed before also.) And they are in a gang, always lots of cars and people at their house too. She went to a local jewelry store and asked if people tried to sell them jewelry, they said yes, and completely described the person she thought it was(friend, possible gang-member with the meth-heads.)

Anyways, we have always protected our house, always had firearms at close hand. But about a week ago, I went out on our front porch in the morning, and out porch light was busted, I don't mean it fell out, but broken, with the screw part still screwed into the socket. Now I know it wasn't natural or anything, the bulb itself is protected by a surrounding glass cage type of deal.
So lately, we have been extra cautious. We have a shotgun with rounds in the magazine(not in the chamber) locked. I have my M44 in my room with rounds stored close-by. We never have any little kids in our house, even if we do, the firearms are out of reach. And my family members all know how to handle them safely, and understand that you shouldn't point your rifle at something you don't wish to destroy. Now, I always carry a knife around with me, so does my dad, and sometimes my sister. I have at least 3 knives at close hand in my room. We also have a wooden baseball bat hidden in my sisters room. Now some people may shun people carrying knives. Well first of all, knives are not weapons, they are tools. They become weapons when somebody harms someone with them. I carry my knife for emergencies. It's a surival knife, it has fire starting fire steel, whistle, etc.

My point is, if somebody enters my house, they should've thought about the owner maybe having a weapon on hand. They made that choice to enter my home, and are definitely going to receive full consequence for it.

In most states, we have a "Castle Law", or "stand your ground" law. Which means, our home is our "castle" and we have a right to defend it(lethally even). It basically states that if your home is intruded, you aren't legally required to retreat, like in other places. You are allowed to stand your ground and fight to protect your home. Some states, this law only applies in your property, in others, it's in effect in public as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Quote from PoVo :Personally, I have a meter long 5cm in diameter brass-bar in my room, which is beside my bed (unseen, to the wall side of the bed), which was put there about 3 years ago

If it hadn't been sitting there collecting dust for 3 years you can guarantee someone would've broken in and killed you by now.
Quote from The General Lee :... surely waving a wheel brace in their face will make them move double time.

Why would it?

Making a load of noise and shouting alerts other people that somethings up. It seemed they just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible.

If they think they are about to be attacked they are far more likely to try and defend themselves. Someone's going to get hurt, and there's a 50/50 chance it's going to be you.

My method worked twice for me. That's enough proof for me that it works and no one gets hurt.
Quote from thisnameistaken :If it hadn't been sitting there collecting dust for 3 years you can guarantee someone would've broken in and killed you by now.

Saying that his bar he keeps by his bed is pointless, is like saying that the smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in your home are pointless. They are there for preparedness, these aren't things that you buy after the fact, they are items to have just in case one of these situations happen.
Quote from The Moose :Why would it?

Making a load of noise and shouting alerts other people that somethings up. It seemed they just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible.

If they think they are about to be attacked they are far more likely to try and defend themselves. Someone's going to get hurt, and there's a 50/50 chance it's going to be you.

My method worked twice for me. That's enough proof for me that it works and no one gets hurt.

I operate under similar principles. I've been jumped 3 times (with a fourth a really shoddy attempt) and never had anything taken from me. Standing my ground (and breaking a nose in one instance) was all it took to make them think twice. Typically, they aren't looking for a fight, most operate under the pretense of fear, it's not worth it to them to fight when they can just wait for the next sorry sod. I've never been injured in these attempts, apart from a mildly sore jaw for a few days. It might help though that I'm a crazy white kid with a mohawk. We're feared haha

This is, of course, in my experience, anyways.

[EDIT] Oh yes, I live in a pretty craptastic area, too. Rexdale, in Toronto. Not as bad as many, many other areas around the developed world, but still not such a nice place.
#48 - Jakg
Quote from DeKo :Big solid flashlight beside your bed, no way can that be said to be a weapon.

^ this ^

Guns, knives & baseball bats are all obviously only brandished for one purpose, and as other posters have said the second you bring that into a situation someones going to get scared and do something stupid.

A big BIG beefy torch on the other hand... totally understandable, and not intimidating. But it can help you if words fail... and in any court they will see no forward planning and self defence.
Quote :In most states, we have a "Castle Law", or "stand your ground" law. Which means, our home is our "castle" and we have a right to defend it(lethally even). It basically states that if your home is intruded, you aren't legally required to retreat, like in other places. You are allowed to stand your ground and fight to protect your home. Some states, this law only applies in your property, in others, it's in effect in public as well.

It's probably contentious to say so, but we need this in the UK. As it stands, if someone breaks in and you kick their arse, odds are it's you going down not them if someone can argue your response wasn't "proportional".
#50 - Osco
Think it's the same in holland. When confronted with burglars, please assist them in searching any valuable objects and offer them tea/coffee. (then toss hot water in their face and claim it was an accident)

Speaking of weapons, I do have a switchblade somewhere in my room. Haven't seen it weeks though, so please don't come rob me untill I find it.

Weapons in the home...
(149 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG