The online racing simulator
Wheel Hubs
(96 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
Wheel Hubs
Quick (probably stupid) question.

Why do differrent cars have different numbers of nuts, different bore sizes and space between nuts (PCD)?

Heavier duty vehicles have more nuts i've noticed, but why 4 vs 5 on saloons, and 100 vs 114 PCD?
#2 - garph
You need to turn your computer off right now and go do something else cause that is a shit, boring ass thing to be wondering about.
I've always wondered that too, garph wind your neck in

I thought it was so manufacturers wheels only fitted their own cars, but with adaptors etc it has put a stop to that.

I have no idea. 5x120 on a BMW btw
#4 - garph
No way!

You're telling me that if your sat there thinkin to yourself, why do they have more wheel nuts or less wheel nuts on some cars, then thats an ok thing!?

That should set some alarms off in your brain to do something more interesting
I don't sit there and think "What can I think of thats totally pointless and a waste of my brain"

I might happen to look upon some 4 stud wheels and some 5 stud wheels, and think to myself "Hey? Why do they have 4 and those have 5? Hmmmm?"

#6 - garph
The answer is....

...because.
Actually mate, sorry to piss on your chips, but it isn't.

The answer is...

It's Friday night and I'm at work, leave me alone
#8 - dadge
why-do-birds, suddenly appear...
because otherwise it wouldnt be effing impossible to find wheels for my car that have the right number of nuts nut circle diameter size offset etc and an abe for tyre sizes that you can actually buy
Quote from Shotglass :because otherwise it wouldnt be effing impossible to find wheels for my car that have the right number of nuts nut circle diameter size offset etc and an abe for tyre sizes that you can actually buy

not if all wheels used the same standard.
The way car manufacturers look at it is "why standardise?". Especially when you can charge 7x more for spare parts.

It's not just the wheel hub you see, it's the brake disc, the caliper & pads and suspension arms and shock absorbers... The whole arrangement is bespoke for each car, with frequent poorly documented changes between years making buying spares much harder, and i'm sure this is all deliberate so that you have to go to main dealers and peoeple who sells parts at reasonable prices like me have a nightmare databasing product ... I've been the last week writing a script to process brake pad fitments, it's been running 16 hours and is 50% complete. It's the first pass of 3.

I hate car manufacturers.
If I get a chance, I'll ask someone who might know
I'm suspecting though, that noone wants to agree on anything
As far as I know, it's just because there is no standard that everyone agrees on or has been forced on the manufacturers. And you can't really fix the problem, auto makers are from all over the world, it would take somebody forcing an international standard on the manufacturers. Which I certainly don't have the power to do, or I would.

Same reason some gas caps are on the right of the car, though the left makes more sense (reverse for people who drive from the right). And the same reason a lot of people on this forum drive on the wrong side of the road. There just is no recognized standard.
More wheels hubs = slow car

Less wheels hubs = Faster car

j/k
Quote from Inouva :More wheels hubs = slow car

Less wheels hubs = Faster car

j/k

Must be able to do *at least* 450kph with that many hubs!
Quote from wheel4hummer :[IMG]http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/114/road_train_australia.jpg[/IMG*]

Must be able to do *at least* 450kph with that many hubs!

Read what i posted

More WH = Less speed
Less WH = MORE speed

That australian train have so many wh = slow
Quote from Inouva :Read what i posted

More WH = Less speed
Less WH = MORE speed

That australian train have so many wh = slow

Oh, I thought you were saying the opposite. In that case, this thing must be CRAAZY FAST:

It's weight, I do believe, The more weight you have, The more lug nuts you need to hold the frame on the tires.

For instance, Trucks have about 6 or 7 ( here at least) Or 5 with a big one in the center, Race cars have 4, Race cars are light weight ( Referring to Nascar and a slight bit of ALMS ) Trains don't have wheel hubs, They have cute little train wheels.

This is just my idea, No flaming or bashing allowed.
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
Certainly more bolts are able to distribute any forces better between them, but the fact that no standard exists is endlessly annoying
And that is only handling one part of the question - the number of bolts. PCD, sizes etc. are also different between cars.
-
Quote from RasmusL :And that is only handling one part of the question - the number of bolts. PCD, sizes etc. are also different between cars.

Which makes sense because not all cars are designed for the same purpose or to the same durability requirements. A vehicle designed to travel at high velocity and/or carrying cargo and/or being raced (... you get the idea) differs from a light, relatively slow city car. Needlessly large hubs mean unnecessary added unsprung mass, unfavourably high moment of inertia and increased production time and cost.
Quote from RasmusL :How did this answer ANYTHING?

I dunno, I didnt read his question before.. Still haven't
#25 - Jakg
Quote from TehPaws3D :For instance, Trucks have about 6 or 7 ( here at least) Or 4 with a big one in the center, Race cars have 4, Race cars are light weight ( Referring to Nascar and a slight bit of ALMS ) Trains don't have wheel hubs, They have cute little train wheels.

I thought racing cars used some sort of weird screw assembly like the Carrera GT?

More lugs makes sense for more load, but I thought the hub itself supported the load, and the lugs held the wheel onto the hub and just had side-to-side load?
-

Wheel Hubs
(96 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG