The online racing simulator
#26 - Jakg
Quote from boosterfire :Wait, what?

Why do you people always say this? "Get a license or I'll close my ears and sing shout so that I don't hear you"?

magicaldog's interrogation in this thread is that he doesn't get a good sense of speed, and that has nothing to do with being in the demo or in the full version.

Because he's complaining that 7 environments / 20 cars is far too few... without even having driven them.
Quote from Jakg :LFS displays any resolutions your GPU says it can do (and that will be restricted by the EDID settyings of your monitor).

In short - if LFS wont do the res you want (and your not using more than one screen with LFS), it's your GPU drivers / config outside of LFS thats wrong.

And RBR feels faster because your piloting a car down a road ~1.5 car widths wide at 70. LFS tracks are literally like a motorway by comparison.

I'm convinced now after trying out the REALLY fast cars and it feels about the same as taking my own car for a spin on the highway at + 210 km/h.

In other words LFS feels the way a really good sim should.
I'm glad I finally found an alternative sim to RBR that has all tarmac tracks after trying all the Simbins and rFactor.

About 1920 X 1080 resolution
I have two monitors, 1 PC monitor at 1280X1024 and my SONY TV at 1920X1080 and when I play RBR the game automatically pops up on my TV.

With RBR I have changed the text in the ini file to 1920x1080.

But in LFS I only see the max setting is 1280.
Options -> Graphics -> Adapter
Click it and a list of available adapters pops up, select the second one. The list of resolution/refresh rate combinations in Options -> Screen should now show all available combinations for your TV.
Quote from morpha :Options -> Graphics -> Adapter
Click it and a list of available adapters pops up, select the second one. The list of resolution/refresh rate combinations in Options -> Screen should now show all available combinations for your TV.

Works great now exept I cant seem to get my Fanatec GT3 RS V2 and Clubsport Pedals to work with LFS.

The small bars in the LFS interface moves when I press the pedals and move the wheel but I cant seem to get the game to assign any.

The only thing I can assign are the buttons on the wheel like shift up and down etc etc but no Steering gas brake or clutch
Options -> Controls
First of all, make sure the top section there is configured correctly, i.e. wheel / joystick is selected, wheel turn, wheel turn compensation, etc. set according to your preference (I recommend 900° or 720°, compensation 1.00, force 100), throttle / brake axes set to separate... you get the idea.

Now click Axes/FF, pretty much in the center of the screen both vertically and horizontally, in the row of small buttons. There you will find a list of axes on the right and a list of functions they can be assigned to on the left. Simply click a function (the label / name) and then the axis to assign to it
Quote from Jakg :Because he's complaining that 7 environments / 20 cars is far too few... without even having driven them.

Yeah this is one of LFS selling mistakes.

They need to specify all track combinations, it looks like there is not much but actually there is

But.. Rockingham is always welcome to join the club
Quote from morpha :Options -> Controls
First of all, make sure the top section there is configured correctly, i.e. wheel / joystick is selected, wheel turn, wheel turn compensation, etc. set according to your preference (I recommend 900° or 720°, compensation 1.00, force 100), throttle / brake axes set to separate... you get the idea.

Now click Axes/FF, pretty much in the center of the screen both vertically and horizontally, in the row of small buttons. There you will find a list of axes on the right and a list of functions they can be assigned to on the left. Simply click a function (the label / name) and then the axis to assign to it

Very complicated compared to RBR but thanks to you it now works!

Thanks a million !
Quote from cargame.nl :Yeah this is one of LFS selling mistakes.

They need to specify all track combinations, it looks like there is not much but actually there is

But.. Rockingham is always welcome to join the club

I tell you after trying out the demo I certainly wasn't convinced or impressed. But after trying out some of the other cars and tracks at one of my friends I can say that it's really a nice sim.

They should put at least one fast car in the demo + explaining all the variations of the tracks.
My friends == Piratebay

time to buy the game to join the real speed, and fun..the demo kinda ignores the fast cars
Quote from magicaldog :I'm convinced now after trying out the REALLY fast cars

Which are the really fast cars?
Quote from magicaldog :
I know that it's possible cause I've read that people use 1920 X 1080.

Well - if you have a Nvidia - you may be abele tp force add a custom resolution via the control panel
Quote from magicaldog :I'm used to Richard Burns Rally which has great sense of speed and acceleration and is an accurate simulator.

I'm searching for a sim that has the same sense of speed and acceleration as RBR but with tarmac tracks.

I thought LFS was the answer but obviously it is not!

Maybe they should change the name of this game to something that doesn't have the word speed in it!!

youre are right,
rbr has much better feeling of speed than lfs...and it is because rbr tracks are much more detailed and narrow...in lfs tracks are very wide and youre close to nothing...theres only road and grass...all objects are far away, thats the reason you dont have the feeling of speed...

in rbr there are lots of details, trees and rocks all around you, detailed roads,...thats why it seems youre racing much faster...

if lfs would had some narrow tracks somewhere in a forest with lots of trees around, you would feel the same
Quote from majod :youre are right,
rbr has much better feeling of speed than lfs...and it is because rbr tracks are much more detailed and narrow...in lfs tracks are very wide and youre close to nothing...theres only road and grass...all objects are far away, thats the reason you dont have the feeling of speed...

in rbr there are lots of details, trees and rocks all around you, detailed roads,...thats why it seems youre racing much faster...

if lfs would had some narrow tracks somewhere in a forest with lots of trees around, you would feel the same

Totally agree !
Lack of 'feel' of speed is, unfortunately, normal.
Just check youtube for example - everyone who drives below 200km/h feels like crawling.. it's just way it is.

However, to improve a bit sensation of speed, try setting FOV to 95, or even to 100 (beyond that it's just getting too distorted on 1 screen).
I think it's also because the tarmac textures are quite plain; more details such as some criss-cross skidmarks, cracks and other imperfections would surely enhance the sense of speed a bit.
Also, play around with your cockpit camera motion settings; a static cockpit camera never helps to give a sense of speed!
Quote from jensbrix :Which are the really fast cars?

UF1 for me! Sometimes XFG if the circuit is wide and open :-)
Since about a week ago I found out how to really get the right sense of speed and acceleration.

I bought SIMBIN's GTR Evolution and Race On

Real Cars

Real Tracks

It's AWESOME
Should of bought LFS S2 with that money, much better than awesome. Even though getting outdated.
Quote from magicaldog :Since about a week ago I found out how to really get the right sense of speed and acceleration.

I bought SIMBIN's GTR Evolution and Race On

Real Cars

Real Tracks

It's AWESOME

Real cars?what do you mean by that??ohh,so cars in lfs are made out of jelly??

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG