The online racing simulator
Where have YOU been?
(61 posts, started )
Quote from Becky Rose :Guilty as charged .

So anyone got a sofa in New York I could borrow? *looks hopeful*

*Points to her sofa* Free of charge! But to New York and France (I really didn't know where I was cause my family was taking care of it so yeah.. I been to france. :razz And the mountains around here.
Nice thread

Quote from danowat :Would like to travel ALOT more, as I think travel broadens the mind, maybe when I retire I'll travel the whole world over.

Same here.

Been to:
France [NE, SW, SE]
Monaco
Spain [Majorca & Lanzarote]
Portugal [Algarve]
Belgium [Ypres]
USA [San Diego & Orlando] (plus technically LA)

As for Britain, the furthest north I've ever been is Manchester Airport.
Quote from mrodgers :snip

The most i've ever paid for a flight ticket was about 1'000 dollars, which was for thailand (including the return). And that wasn't exactly booked ahead. If you plan a few weeks ahead it can be much cheaper.

The people i know that travel the most are usually the ones with the lowest income. Don't ask me how they do it tho (probably exactly like that... looking for cheap flights, special offers, etc.). Globetrotters aren't rich people usually (they don't have a wife and kids either mostly, so that's what's holding you back right there).
My return ticket to Aus was about $1000
If your talking about very low income people, Then it's probably because they have been kicked out and are moving to a place that is cheaper.. Unless I misunderstood.
Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Germany, England, Wales, Ethiopia, Kenya, Singapore, Australia, Papua New Guinea, Jamaica.

Airports only: Dubai, India, Netherlands, France, Switzerland.
Quote from TehPaws3D :If your talking about very low income people, Then it's probably because they have been kicked out and are moving to a place that is cheaper.. Unless I misunderstood.

No. They are people who have normal jobs, an appartment with rent to pay, insurance bills, etc, living normal lives, with an income below average. They go traveling and come back afterwards.
I've been all over mainland UK, but that's not all that impressive
France when I was like 3 (which I obviously don't remember).
Spain when I was about 14.
Italy a couple of years back.
The US (TN) a year before that.

The problem now is money. We've almost finished paying off the USA trip but my job has really crappy pay. We're hoping to hit Egypt next year and might make it to Washington DC if all goes well to visit our friends. I'd also like to hop across for a weekend in France. No reason not to since it's actually closer than half the gigs I play
Let's see if I can get my list ordered by distance

- Slovakia (Bratislava and Tatranská Lomnica)
- Poland (Osówka)
- Austria (Nassfeld)
- Germany (Loreley, München)
- Italy (a bunch of summer vacation spots)
- Croatia (another bunch of vacations spots)
- Spain, Mallorca
- Greece (Zakhyntos)
- Bulgaria (don't recall the name of the city right now)
- US (Michigan and Florida)
Quote from Dajmin : I'd also like to hop across for a weekend in France. No reason not to since it's actually closer than half the gigs I play

I am amazed the amount of people who don't do it more, we get crossings when they are doing a deal, recent one we had was £20 for a car with up to 6 people and 8 free bottles of wine, I mean, its almost like they are paying you to go!!!.

Personally, I think France, and to a greater extent, Belgium are really, really under rated, I've offen been critical of Belgium, but in recent years we've visited Gent, Brussels, Bruges and various other small towns (Verne, Damme), and its actually a really nice country, with lots of interesting things to see, and some of the best architecture in Europe IMO.

I am planning to go back again next year and visit the "Atlantic wall" museum at Ostende.
In UK at the moment, so... London, Portmouth, Stonehenge, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburg, Cardiff and Carmarthen.

Italy; Venice, Milano and Como.

And of course, home, Sri Lanka. (Links for direct google image results.)
Lul, Stonehenge must be one of the most overrated historical sights ever.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Lul, Stonehenge must be one of the most overrated historical sights ever.

That depends on how much you have invested in it. It's thousands of years old, a total mystery to most people and lies on a convergence of ley lines. That means Pagans and Druids are all very interested in it.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Stonehenge must be one of the most overrated historical sights ever.

Well, quite a history and a sight (for me) to see.
I made it to my 50th country this year, Australia!
Ive Been in :

The Super market
My Room
On google
and many other places
UK and Netherlands several times, Belgium, Germany, France, Croatia, Austria, Slovakia, Greece, Italy, Romania, and once the US. I'm pretty sure I missed some countries out, especially if they were travel-through ones, but thats it I guess.
Quote from jibber :Couch surfing?

friends use it a lot, ive never had an opportunity

one summer i have to make a trip across the europe...anyone want to join?

Quote from The Moose :Nice to see the Americans in this thread living up to their reputation.
I would like to make you guys aware of a document called a passport.. it enables you to leave your country and see other places in the world!!!

you're right, but on the other hand - where would they travell? if you live somewhere in the middle of us...north far, south far, east & west - nothing...europe - expensive...sme reason i dont travell to US...and also my passport is now useless in eu....but im taking it to uk because all stamps i have are cyrilic lol so i hope ill get an uk stamp
-France ( Paris, St-Raphael - south coast, Normandy, Elsace, Vosges, French Alps: Les Gets, Les 2 Alpes)
-Netherlands (Pretty much everywhere except the far north-east)
-Swiss Alps (Verbier)
-Austrian/Italian Alps (Tirol - St. Peter)
-Passed through Germany alot, but never had a real vacation there.
Except a visit to Nurburgring ,city-trip to Köln and a schooltrip to some mines near Aachen iirc
-Italy (Ventimiglia, Milan)
-Spain (Salou, Lloret de Mar)
-Malta
-Turkey (Antalya, Istanbul, Bodrum)
-Kos (Greek Island)
-UK (London)
-Tenerife
-Czech (Prague + visit to Theresienstadt concentration camp)
-Luxemburg = gas station and cigaretteshop (not as cheap as it used to be tho)
-Farthest ive been is Argentina, but i was - (minus) 7months old

Most of this was before i was 16 years old, after that it's only been the ski vacations and city trips, and this summer i went sailing for 5 days on the Ijsselmeer in Holland.

Always wanted to travel to Northern Europe (Norway) and Asia (Japan, China)
Quote from jibber :The most i've ever paid for a flight ticket was about 1'000 dollars, which was for thailand (including the return). And that wasn't exactly booked ahead. If you plan a few weeks ahead it can be much cheaper.

The people i know that travel the most are usually the ones with the lowest income. Don't ask me how they do it tho (probably exactly like that... looking for cheap flights, special offers, etc.). Globetrotters aren't rich people usually (they don't have a wife and kids either mostly, so that's what's holding you back right there).

Quote from danowat :My return ticket to Aus was about $1000

Planning for next June, to go to Barcelona (1 person, no hotel or anything) would be between 800 and 1,000 dollars. It actually cost more to go to Hawaii and Alaska. If I wanted to go by myself to Munich, Germany (just going with Mike here) then for flight + hotel is about 3,000 dollars, and this is planning 8-9 months ahead.

New Zealand, about 2,200 for the cheapest flight for next June.

Every travel you guys do within Europe is roughly the same to what Americans do here with States. There's a bigger variety of Americans than most countries think. Anyways, you guys don't want us invading anyways, afterall we are hated as Mike said.

To stay on topic:
USA (multiple times to some): California, Montana, Colorado, Las Vegas, Arizona, Salt Lake City, Wyoming, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Minnesota, North Dakota, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virgina, West Virgina, Tennessee, Missouri, Kentucky.

Outside US: Dominican Republic and Haiti, and Mexico.
Quote from mrodgers :I just mapped a route through Europe by car. The route travels from Netherland, through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, and finishes in France. The route is still 3 hours short of my trip to Disneyworld this year.

Granted, it's a lot easier to see lots of different countries on this content than yours. America sure has a lot of real estate. I'd wager on that drive in Europe, that would be a hell of a lot more variety in culture, architecture, lifestyle and general experience though (not saying America isn't varied within itself, I left scenery out of that list for good reason).
Lithuania (Obviously :razz
England
Scotland
Ireland
Russia
Turkey
Spain
Egypt
France
- Driven through France + stayed in a number of places along the way
- Ditto Spain
- Gibraltar
- (Driven through) Belgium.. never actually set foot in it.. literally
- Holland
- Ireland (apparently when I was like 2)
- Portugal (Here managed to write off a mini shopping trolley, aged just 4 :doh
Quote from mrodgers : I just mapped a route through Europe by car. The route travels from Netherland, through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, and finishes in France. The route is still 3 hours short of my trip to Disneyworld this year.

I did a similar drive once, from the UK through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and into Austria then back. I took 2 weeks and the journey felt rushed. I did admittedly see all Luxembourg had to offer in the first 20 minutes, but on that visit I barely got to see Germany because I just didn't have time and was only able to spend an afternoon in Paris - I had to go back to do the Eiffel Tower, Nostredame and all the other stuff.

It's not the distance that makes something a holiday it's the change of culture and you don't really get a chance to absorb that unless you take your time.

You've stayed in a place long enough when you're on holiday and you think "I could live here". Of course it's the holiday talking, but that's the moment when you understand a place and it's culture and start to really appreciate what it has to offer.

Travelling is a lot more expensive within Europe by car. Seriously, you're better off flying because there's no tax on aviation fuel. I can see how you'd mistakenly compare a road trip to a drive around Europe - but I think you're missing the point of what a foreign holiday really is.

It's nothing to do with how far you go, it's about absorbing the culture.

By contrast i'm technically less travelled, i've only been outside of Europe once... But i've seen many more cultures - and repeatedly visited them, to the point where I even like French people
belgium, many times, to go racing at a place called warneton, just over the french border near lille, and a place in holland called marienvelde, again, to go racing, but on the dirt that time, then to germany once, somewhere right near the border with holland, which was for the prize giving weekend, again related to the banger racing, my mate won lots that year, so we got an invite to the evening lol

thats about all, quite boring i guess.

Where have YOU been?
(61 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG