The online racing simulator
forgot to say, murry walker made mistakes and was over enthusiastic but the difference was he had the background in motorsport, the experience of doing the job since post war racing started at circuits, on radio etc and came over as someone who really did thing that his was the best job in the world rather than someone apparently doing a job they weren't trained for (legard) or someone who appeared to think that they had to be manically enthusiastic as the sport was totally uninteresting (allen).

infact i'd go as far as to say the difference between a very good motorsports commentator and a very poor one is simply the good one's have a genuine love of the sport that they mange to project in their commentary. neville hay and the current radio le mans team are good examples of how a love for the sport shines through and makes a commentary interesting by simply sounding like fellow enthusiasts talking with you.
You guys don't know what you have...

Personally, I watch whenever I can the BBC F1 broadcast since the portuguese commentators are a total lame!! Even yesterday I was talking to some friends of mine and praising the BBC cover of a GP. No comercial breaks (at Sport TV they happen in a 10/15 minutes interval basis), great info delivered to the spectators (at Sport TV, lot's of mistakes), good emotive comments (at Sport TV, a great overtake goes something like "Kovalainen making the move on Hamilton... he is right besides him... they brake... Kovalainen passes, very good... the weather is warm... flowers are groing neat and pure... Kovalainen is now leading the race, that has been quite spectacular... where do you wanna go lunch today, mate?") and some good moments pre and post race, with Eddie Jordan and Coulthard interviewing drivers and team members!

Really, if the BBC F1 broadcast and commentators can be even better than it is now, it will be heaven on TV!
Yep, I think the Brits complain on a very high level, I'm always watching the whole thing on the BBC since the pre-race build-up actually got some interesting bits in it and the commentary isn't as bad as Heiko Wasser and Kai Ebel for example, both manage to ruin the german f1 broadcast all by themselves, most of the time you're happy you get a break every now and then when they do commercials in the worst possible moment. Don't get me started on our Swiss commentator I don't even know his name, sometimes I got the feeling he takes a nap during the race since he constantly manages to miss all the action.
the reason why brits complain is because we pay for the bbc. and we want value for money.

its a bit like paying £6m for some movie geek twat and a friday night show for years on end. (jonathan ross)

xD

plz not motogp commentators from bbc. in motogp they r dull. eurosports better xD moody, burnicle(sp?) and spalding ftw

but yea, legard sucks
Ben Edwards is ok but, I feel he's not really opinionated enough. Cox is funny and Intrepid is talking complete cock if he thinks Cox is a worse commentator than Legard. Cox will give Brundle the respect he deserves, and they will both compliment each other well. Legard says the same shit over and over again "HE'S CLOSING ALL THE WHILE, DISCRETION IS THE BETTER PART OF VALOUR" etc etc and the way he worships Schumacher and Jenson Button....

He is an idiot in Qualifying he was screaming when someone set the first lap of the session and went 1st he was too retarded to notice that the person in 1st was the only driver to set a bloody lap.

And he just doesn't seem to know what he's talking about in terms of F1, all he does is intricate the trials and tribulations of pitlane gossip rather than any real analysis or depth to what he says. Cox was excellent as BTCC commentator a while back, and he does Moto GP a great service on the BBC as he would as F1 commentator.
i still think that martin haven should comment f1 alongside brundle
Quote from Shotglass :i still think that martin haven should comment f1 alongside brundle

He is a good choice, but to the BBC a fellow BBC commentator is a first choice, therefore Cox will probably have a reasonable shot at it.
Quote from BlueFlame :He is an idiot in Qualifying he was screaming when someone set the first lap of the session and went 1st he was too retarded to notice that the person in 1st was the only driver to set a bloody lap.

It was when one of the Williams went out for the their one and only lap in quali 3, he was like "oh he's done personal bests in the first two splits" - Martin's like "that's because it's his first lap dumb****".
Quote from boothy :It was when one of the Williams went out for the their one and only lap in quali 3, he was like "oh he's done personal bests in the first two splits" - Martin's like "that's because it's his first lap dumb****".

Heh yea, and the way he was screaming about Jenson Button setting times when it was his bloody outlap.
Toby Moody would be terrific alongside Martin... as long as he carried on doing MotoGP aswell.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Toby Moody would be terrific alongside Martin... as long as he carried on doing MotoGP aswell.

Toby probably is only qualified to commentate on bikes (something which he knows a fair old crack about) even though he is a fantastic commentator, I don't think he is right for F1.
Quote from tinvek :it's a pity really as jake humphrey has, in the words of steve ryder, made the anchor man's job look easy after steve ryder spent years trying to make it look hard and jim rosenthal made it look bloody impossible, coulthard and jordan have settled down to an unlikely doubly act, lee mckenzie is getting the job done with interviews and ted kravitz is still showing the form he developed at ITV. the only other improvement i'd like is for holly samos to share the pitlane with ted kravitz, she's very competent and would allow better coverage of all the pitlane when there's a story at both ends but that would mean taking her away from radio 5.

I don't think Ted Kravitz is as good as he was on ITV, he's not as funny, maybe because he got up the noses of the wrong people and they stopped talking to him.

I agree Jake Humphrey is really good at his job, made all the more obvious because DC isn't as interesting as I expected him to be (probably because he isn't allowed to swear) and Eddie Jordan is just pure car crash TV. Someone should tell him that when you're interviewing someone you're supposed to ask them questions, not just ramble at them for thirty seconds and then point the microphone at them while they stare at you and try to work out what you expect them to say.
Eddie has strange methods, sometimes it's painful to watch, most of the time it's actually just quite funny.

Take note, look at DC's face everytime EJ talks, he is struck with bemusement everytime!
What I would like is a live feed minus commentating! Bernie hurry up and get with the times!
there is atleast 4 or 5 times during the race when Brundle is face palming the shit that legard says during the race, put Walker in there he can add some extra flavour which really is one of the best championships in a very long time.
You know what I would like, have a separate channel with the Top Gear trio commentating. That would be awesome.
Quote from BlueFlame :Toby probably is only qualified to commentate on bikes (something which he knows a fair old crack about) even though he is a fantastic commentator, I don't think he is right for F1.

He is a huge fan of F1 and very knowledgeable on the sport.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :You know what I would like, have a separate channel with the Top Gear trio commentating. That would be awesome.

Agreed

Now that re-fueling is banned maybe Hammond wont be so confused as to why the drivers didn't fill up before the race
Quote from BreadC :the reason why brits complain is because we pay for the bbc. and we want value for money.

its a bit like paying £6m for some movie geek twat and a friday night show for years on end. (jonathan ross)

xD

plz not motogp commentators from bbc. in motogp they r dull. eurosports better xD moody, burnicle(sp?) and spalding ftw

but yea, legard sucks

Here in Portugal, Sport TV is also a contract channel. The signees pay 20€/month for it, and it is the exclusive broadcaster of F1, Nascar, MotoGP and I believe WTCC, besides football and other stuff.

I thought the F1 on BBC was public, not Contracted or PPV (Pay-Per-View).
-
(JackDaMaster) DELETED by JackDaMaster
Quote from Storm_Cloud :He is a huge fan of F1 and very knowledgeable on the sport.

Well I never got that impression from him on Moto GP commentary. GET HIM IN THEN!
Quote from NunoMike :I thought the F1 on BBC was public, not Contracted or PPV (Pay-Per-View).

We have to pay a TV license to have a TV, which funds the BBC.
Quote from J@tko :We have to pay a TV license to have a TV, which funds the BBC.

You've never paid for a tv license

Formula One Season 2010
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG