The online racing simulator
I can't think of any reason Dorna/circuit staff had to continue the race at all, it's not justified one bit and isn't the right thing to do. Am I wrong in thinking that if a death occurs at a sporting event in Italy/San Marino the race isn't allowed to go ahead?
Death was confirmed with 6 laps to go of the MotoGP race, so what are you talking about?
Im guessing Grid sizes may get reduced following this, a sad day for motosport and a missed talent for the future.
#29 - AMB
Quote from Mustafur :Im guessing Grid sizes may get reduced following this, a sad day for motosport and a missed talent for the future.

This

They are only young and things like this are what make people retire
You could have the same accident with just two or three riders - grid size was not the cause, but it may still be a focus.

Logically, the next step would be improving riders' leathers to include proper impact protection on the thorax. That may be difficult to implement given the nature of riding however.
Quote from Boris Lozac :I said it the wrong way, didn't mean for it to sound like that.. I was talking more about F1 drivers, i'm sure the bikers are more aware of the danger. In F1, when drivers see what Kubica has walked out of without a scratch.. they probably think they're as safe as in any other sport.. Didn't mean for it to sound disrespectfull in any way..

That's true, but I'm sure every single-seat racing driver is also well aware that if something substantial hits them in the head (Massa, Henry Surtees come to mind) then they're going to have a problem.

It's only a couple of years since Craig Jones was killed in a similar way when he was hit by the bike of Andrew Pitt in World Supersports at Brands Hatch. It happens frequently enough at the highest level for riders to be aware of that risk. It's also why nothing will be changed as a reaction to this.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Am I wrong in thinking that if a death occurs at a sporting event in Italy/San Marino the race isn't allowed to go ahead?

I'm sure this only applies if the rider/driver is pronounced dead at the scene. If they die in hospital or en route, then it doesn't apply.

At least, not in Canada, anyways.
Quote :if something substantial hits them in the head

Then why they can't just redesign these cars - put glass or something over the cockpit?
Quote from serioussam909 :Then why they can't just redesign these cars - put glass or something over the cockpit?

Don't worry, they've been thinking about this idea for a while now.
Rest in peace..
terrible when such things as these happen. the only good thing is that he died in thing that he loved to do.
horrific.

are the other two riders ok? or did they suffer injuries? Redding looked like he was in a lot of pain... but at least he was moving...
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! : horrific.

are the other two riders ok? or did they suffer injuries? Redding looked like he was in a lot of pain... but at least he was moving...

De Angelis has no injuries, Redding has some cuts on his back but not the fractured pelvis that they initially suspected.
Shocking action by the marshals / medical staff to just roll them onto stretchers and drag them off as quickly as possible (so quickly that they dropped Tomizawa). That sort of thing only usually happens at IOM TT these days.

What if Redding had broken his back? You simply do not move them like that - it has potentially life changing effects for the patient. The ambulance with all their equipment could have been on scene in seconds had they stopped the race.
It's always very sad to hear news like this. I'm not such a big Moto2 fan, but this is still very sad to hear.

R.I.P
Oooh, I saw that incident. I can say that, from my point of view, no one can survive a crash like that.

R.I.P. Moto2 won't be funny without him anymore.
im inclined to think he was killed instantly or at least on second contact
RIP to Shoya-san us bikers will see him in biker heaven.
he will always be remembered, first ever moto2 winner! all round nice guy.

now all japanese have 2 numbers to put o their leathers 74 and 48
This is part of the aticle on the gp website,
“I have been in contact with the Race Direction to understand the circumstances of the accident and I know that everything that could be done has been effectively carried out to save the life of this rider. However, the dynamics of the accidents that take place in our sport are often unpredictable. We must continue to research and analyse to minimise them.
What a joke, Did he not watch the way he got put on the stretcher, Makes me sick. Nice man Such a shame.

Quote from Storm_Cloud :Shocking action by the marshals / medical staff to just roll them onto stretchers and drag them off as quickly as possible (so quickly that they dropped Tomizawa). That sort of thing only usually happens at IOM TT these days.

What if Redding had broken his back? You simply do not move them like that - it has potentially life changing effects for the patient. The ambulance with all their equipment could have been on scene in seconds had they stopped the race.

R.i.p
when u see the rear view, u can see his leathers were ripped open torn apart
Yowch

Toby Moody wrote a column about it on Autosport's site, here
RIP Shoya Tomizawa
Scott Redding gives a few word ... he's ready for next race.

I'm amazed of the maturity and the courage of the guy, really. He's only 17 after all. He's been directly involved in a fatal crash where he got minor injuries, can't recall anything about that. Nevertheless he still is 100% commited on getting back to business ASAP.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG