The online racing simulator
Server Option - No Teleport to Pit during race.
We have come upon this issue several times now and many of us agree that it would be a very beneficial (and simple) option to add to the server.

When a race is already running you can have "no midrace join" but to go with that it would be nice that if you wreck mid-race you can't teleport to the pit and then rejoin during that race.

[THIS WOULD BE AN OPTION]

I know I've posted this before and had replies suggesting that you would end up with people in unsafe cars cluttering the track limping back to pit, but that's life. What we don't want is someone crashing pitting, crashing, pitting, etc. It happens to us when we run longer races and the organizers agree that it would be an excellent option to add realism.

Do it up!
I like it.

One thing that really detracts from the realism of being "locked into a race" is the fact that you can mash two buttons and magically teleport back to the pits. The only downside to not being able to teleport is if you get stuck in the sand pits and you can't move. One way to overcome this problem is when you hit space bar, it should teleport you out of the sand... maybe not back onto the track, because you'll more then likely get placed infront of the pack and cause a massive pileup... but off the sand and onto the grass would be good.

Yes this is still unrealistic, but a lot more realistic then being teleported all the way back to the pits.

So if you're hauling down blackwood straight and you come to a grinding halt and someone rear ends you which sends you flying off into the wall beyond the sand, busting your front end, then yes, you can teleport out of the sand back onto the grass but you have to limp your way back to the pits.

Or, maybe get rid of teleporting all together and make it easier to get out of the sand? Because we all know rescue crews and tow trucks are a long way off being implemented into racing sims....
#3 - Dumpy
Quote :Because we all know rescue crews and tow trucks are a long way off being implemented into racing sims....

That would rock! I've always thought GTA should have tow trucks that come get wrecked/burned cars, complete with tow truck missions like the fire truck and ambulance missions!
#4 - X-Ter
I would support and welcome such a feature. I have myself wished for it many times.
Ok, ok, try this on for size ....

It would be awesome if there was the option to be the "towie" in a race

You are only allowed out of the pits when there is an accident. You have to drive the correct way around the track to the accident. Drive up to the car, reverse up to it as though you were hitching it. Then when you tap the car (reverse into it) the damage car is linked to your car and you then proceed to tow it to the pits.

Meanwhile, there is a pace car that was instantly deployed to infront of the race leader and everyone is speed limited (80km/h, as the pit limiter is currently) and have to follow the pace car until the damaged car has returned to the pits.

Would that rock the world of realism or WHAT!

Edit: If the human driven towie fails to return the car to the pits within say 2 mins for example, then the car is automatically forfeited from the race and the pace car returns to pits and race resumes. Saves the possibilty of a useless towie. Or, if all else fails, could just have an AI towie, who instantly spawns at the crash site and tows the car back to the pits. But, i reckon i'd have fun being the towie 8-)
I've always thought this should be the way of things. It would make it much more realistic if you couldn't teleport. Would be a very good option in league events.
Quote from Gentlefoot :I've always thought this should be the way of things. It would make it much more realistic if you couldn't teleport. Would be a very good option in league events.

I couldn't say it better
well, i think that would be a good option. but a better damage model etc is also necessary for sth like this... so people cant produce yellow flags for 20 min, cuz they are trying to reach the box. u kissed the wall badly -> race is over

AKA +1
Well, I'm glad to hear the positive response to this suggestion.

I do agree that the damage model should be upgraded to include drive/engine problems on huge impact.

COOL!
+1, but make full course cautions an option too.
+1
It would stop me accidentally voting to restart during a race.
I think that telepit should be removed completely unless a car is beached, flipped or severely damaged and it wasn't the driver's fault.

However the latter would require a black flag system. Which would be a great idea.

If it was the driver's fault, the car shouldn't be able to telepit: he should have to limp to the pits with hazard lights on.
Quote from duke_toaster :I think that telepit should be removed completely unless a car is beached, flipped or severely damaged and it wasn't the driver's fault.

However the latter would require a black flag system. Which would be a great idea.

If it was the driver's fault, the car shouldn't be able to telepit: he should have to limp to the pits with hazard lights on.

Remember the Devs have to try and put this into some kind of engine that decides that which driver gets the black flag which will be hard and alot of people would get frustrated with it, if Codemasters did it with ToCa 3 i think it is possible in some kind of way, so it is a good idea

I think the overall idea is a very good one and should be included
+1 Great idea. But if you have mates on the server that will be sensible then you can decide not to use the telepit option during a race anyway, I know there's always the urge, but it's always fun to try and drive a wrecked car back to pits.
tbh most LFS'ers pit when they need not anyway. You can take a fair amount of damage and have it only effect your lap times very marginally. I usually race on unless a wheel brakes or the car is veering one way or the other (too dangerous to race on)... as a result I often turn a retirement into a rostrum finish whilst I pass all the shift-s'ers...
^^ agreed. I find it rather annoying when you're having a good race with someone and then they hit the grass and spin out. So you pull up and wait for them, then they telepit (i like that ) and i'm left in the middle of the road saying "fine then! **** "

One thing it would definately need to be an option because on FM (Oval Junkies) server you need to mash Shift+S to clear the road if you crash... then again.... real F1 races don't have the option to "clear the road"

No option! haha j/k.
+1

Great Idea!
heck, on the FM (Oval Junkies) server they force you into the pits with some crazy program.

+1. I think the devs could implant a tow truck. I had an Indy car game where about 5 trucks pulled onto the track if there was an accident.
+1
Option banning shift+s is much more needed than planned option banning reset.
Quote from wheel4hummer :+1, but make full course cautions an option too.

I dont agree, because people who cant go to the pits, will stay on the track and thus likely cause an accident.
Quote from ORION :I dont agree, because people who cant go to the pits, will stay on the track and thus likely cause an accident.

its called a yellow flag buddy, they use them to warn of slower/damaged cars or a accident illepall
#24 - Gunn
I hate telepitting option during races so +1 from me.

Crammond's Grand Prix series used to remove wrecked cars with an overhead crane animation. Something like that might be suitable for LFS rather than a tow truck, at least in the short term. That way you can have the wreckage affect racing for a lap or so while the crane does its job. I think an automated safety car would not be too much of a pipe dream either, maybe sometime in the future of LFS.
+1

although orion does make a valid point

how about this, if a car sits on the track without no user input for like.. 2 minutes or whatever specified time, will automatically be spectated?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG