The online racing simulator
F1 to return to the US in 2012
(85 posts, started )
Why can't F1 go to (say) Elkhart or Road Atlanta or Barber or Miller?

Four venues with history and (for the first two at least) tradition
#52 - JJ72
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Why can't F1 go to (say) Elkhart or Road Atlanta or Barber or Miller?

Four venues with history and (for the first two at least) tradition

Because none of them have deep enough pockets.

May not be the entire reason but I think that's more than 80% of the truth.
I find it somewhat ironic that once you get past the prejudice against Americans only driving ovals.. there are many excellent road circuits in the USA. There are also a few 'new' ones, High Plains Raceway and probably a few others that make sense and offer a few good bits and corners.

Tilke's signature tends to be to at least have one 270 degree 1st gear righthander followed immediately by a 180 degree lefthander.. sigh.. just sigh..
Would laguna seca be feasible for f1?
I would have loved Watkins Glen to be the host.

Unless Tilke would have raped that beautifull track.
Quote from lizardfolk :Would laguna seca be feasible for f1?

F1 cars through the corkscrew: the single most terrifying thing I can think of.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :I find it somewhat ironic that once you get past the prejudice against Americans only driving ovals.. there are many excellent road circuits in the USA.

Yes. I think big difference is that in Europe many previously awesome tracks have been tilkefied mainly for GP use while in USA most of the tracks are in same condition (in this case a good thing) than they were 20 years ago and even when renovated (Laguna Seca) it is done moderately* and they still retain the old configurations.

*or somewhat moderately... Lime Rock Park
Even the new tracks here are pretty cool (New Jersey, Monticello, Barber, High Plains, Miller, etc.).
Both on the road course and oval side US has always had a large number of fantastic tracks. So Tilke is very worrying...well...atleast he isnt trying to renovate a current track, but rather building a new one and hey...there's a chance it might be good. But if not...well, atleast the US wouldnt have lost a good track
maybe someone could start a petition.
Quote from Mustafur :maybe someone could start a petition.

nobody cares about petitions, online or otherwise.
well no one here is famous enough to have an opinion.
If tracks designed by Tilke are all that bad, why did they choose him anyway ?
I mean Bahrain, China,Turkey and Southkorea didn't know any better, they had not much experience in case of racing. (I guess it was Bernie who told them to do so)
But USA has a great racing tradition and I suppose has also enough local companies that could do the job.

Could it be that there are only a few guys arround here that dislike Tilke tracks, while the vast majority just keeps quiet ?

Before any bashing, I am neither a fan of Tilkes tacks nor do I hate them.
I am just wondering what are the reasons behind this decision.
Quote from yankman :If tracks designed by Tilke are all that bad, why did they choose him anyway ?
I mean Bahrain, China,Turkey and Southkorea didn't know any better, they had not much experience in case of racing. (I guess it was Bernie who told them to do so)
But USA has a great racing tradition and I suppose has also enough local companies that could do the job.

Could it be that there are only a few guys arround here that dislike Tilke tracks, while the vast majority just keeps quiet ?

i can think of two reasons...

1) money money money
2) past experience / acquaintances in the f1 community (max/bernie/etc)
Quote from yankman :If tracks designed by Tilke are all that bad, why did they choose him anyway ?
I mean Bahrain, China,Turkey and Southkorea didn't know any better, they had not much experience in case of racing. (I guess it was Bernie who told them to so)

He seems to be the Official F1 deisgner i think so he seems to be the defualt desginer for new GPs.

The whole Long striaghts and tight hairpin isn't working at all. all that does is spread the field out naturally.

If i was the one who payed for Valenica street circuit to be designed by tilke i would be asking for my money back thats for sure.
Quote from bunder9999 :i can think of two reasons...
1) money money money

I was thinking of that too.
But I doubt that Tilke's services are cheap.
And if Tilke is designing boring tracks there would be no serious reason to choose him.
Tilke is a very good venue designer. I suspect his processes are smart and his efficiency are probably the best in the business. Unfortunately a 'good drivers track' is not part of the regulatory requirements set out by the FIA
#69 - 5haz
Urgh, 'racing venue', what a horrible thought.
Autosport has an interview with the guy that made it all happen. From what he says, the location is very hilly and has some lakes, and he says the track will be 3 miles long and "hella fast". The way he talks about the classic American racing tracks is promising too. You also have to remember that Tilke has had a difficult job, he has either had to ruin old circuits to make them safer, or build tracks in flat deserts.
Well atleast it is hilly, But most of Tilkes circuits are fast but not fast flowing due to the hairpins after the straights, we need more high speed corners.
I'm hoping we get something in the vein of Sonoma, but in Texas. :P
Who/which company designed Algarve?
Quote from deggis :Who/which company designed Algarve?

Google sez...

Quote :Someone mentioned the Algarve International Circuit. The track was designed by its Diretor, Mr Paulo Pinheiro, an ex mechanical engineer, who do not have any expertise as Circuit Designer before the Algarve Circuit.

http://translate.google.com/tr ... ve/&sl=auto&tl=en
Thanks. "who do not have any expertise as Circuit Designer before the Algarve Circuit", well this isn't a compliment to Tilke.

F1 to return to the US in 2012
(85 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG