The online racing simulator
F1 to return to the US in 2012
(85 posts, started )
Quote :Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group stated: “For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event.

Of course one could argue that the Indy circuit was not F1 specific, but I imagine Tony George will be pissed beyond belief after reading this. I guess Bernie thought it was only ~75% purpose built.
They were going to have it in Arizona but after the recent law changes they wouldn't have had any cheap labor available

Actually, I think Austin will be a great site for it. Indy had so many other things going on that it took away from the spectacle of an F1 race. A track built in Austin would be the big game in town, should work...
Well Indy was built before F1 was it not?

I think he was trying to say no track in the US was purposely 100% built for F1, which would be true.
Quote from PMD9409 :Well Indy was built before F1 was it not?

I think he was trying to say no track in the US was purposely 100% built for F1, which would be true.

F1 could just race at martinsville
great venue, is like 8 hours away from me! will go for sure!
Well yes Indy was around before the F1 circuit but from the very little I remember Tony George worked his balls of to keep the race there and now Bernie is arguably going out and saying that the facilities were shit. It doesn't take a genius to realize the racing was crap but to call the facilities crap is a real slap in the face.

Really all withers down to how you read Bernie's statement; he should work on his wording.
Quote from 5haz :Har har har :doh:

Come race day, you wait, something will fall off the planned new US team entry just after Book Depository Corner and hit Hamilton as he enters Elm Street Straight. Several decades later there will be a popular film that fuels a conspiracy that the FIA had thrown the object from a grassy knoll just after Book Depository Corner, in a bid to secure Ferrari the championship.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :If you'd read the article or the thread, you'd know it's going to be a purpose-built circuit.

I did read the article, but If I remember rightly Yas Marina was announced as a purposely built circuit.
I hope they get an American designer to do the track because tilke seriously hasn't made a single track worth mentioning, and pretty much every permanent circuit in USA is awesome.
Quote from Rappa Z :Well yes Indy was around before the F1 circuit but from the very little I remember Tony George worked his balls of to keep the race there and now Bernie is arguably going out and saying that the facilities were shit. It doesn't take a genius to realize the racing was crap but to call the facilities crap is a real slap in the face.

Really all withers down to how you read Bernie's statement; he should work on his wording.

Indy wasn't a good track for F1, the banks on the oval where not suitable for F1 cars.
#37 - 5haz
Quote from Mustafur :Indy wasn't a good track for F1, the banks on the oval where not suitable for F1 cars.

Why? I think it was more a case of the tyres being not suitable/faulty.
Quote from Mustafur :I hope they get an American designer to do the track

Yes, this please. If it won't be designed by Herr Tilke (and if it will be at least good), i don't care where it is, hell, they could race in brasilian jungle. What's so bad about Texas?
Quote from 5haz :Why? I think it was more a case of the tyres being not suitable/faulty.

well you could say but there was always some kind of failure on those banked curves by atleast 1 team every year,(90% was involved with Ralf though).

and last time i heard, tyres were part of the car.
Well, this is interesting...

Former USF1 backer Parris Mullins, along with YouTube dude Chad Hurley, want to reignite the USF1 dream in a more feasible form (i.e., merging their funding with a more established infrastructure), but say it's possible that they could do it by 2011.

Meanwhile, Ferrari have said they'll do whatever they can to see such a thing happen.

At the same time, ART, who are closely linked with Ferrari, and who have an American driver in GP3, are looking to enter the series in 2011.

#41 - JCTK
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Well, this is interesting...

Former USF1 backer Parris Mullins, along with YouTube dude Chad Hurley, want to reignite the USF1 dream in a more feasible form (i.e., merging their funding with a more established infrastructure), but say it's possible that they could do it by 2011.

Meanwhile, Ferrari have said they'll do whatever they can to see such a thing happen.

At the same time, ART, who are closely linked with Ferrari, and who have an American driver in GP3, are looking to enter the series in 2011.

not to mention ART is co-owned by Nicholas Todt, the son of FIA president Jean Todt...:guitarist
#42 - JCTK
Quote from Mustafur :well you could say but there was always some kind of failure on those banked curves by atleast 1 team every year,(90% was involved with Ralf though).

and last time i heard, tyres were part of the car.

no it wasn't to do with banked curves, it was Michelin that pushed their tyres right to the limit and its backfired on them, when they under-estimated how abrasive the new track surface were to the tyres...

Bridgestone didn't have those problems, but then they did have data of the track surface, something that Michelin didn't have...
It had better be a hilly area, preferably mountainous. otherwise, they've doomed F1 in the US once again by hiring Tilke. I certainly don't want to go to a cookie-cutter track to watch F1.

Texas itself is actually a fairly good choice, it's a big state with a big population...a population that loves big engines and absurdly fast cars almost as much as they like their BBQ, guns, and pickup trucks. which is a lot. It's in the middle of the country, in fact it's the only bit in the middle that has some character behind it. (Kansas? South Dakota? I don't think so.)

however, I don't neccesarily think it was the perfect choice. There are far more road racing-happy areas of the country, and areas that have more character, as well as areas with a more concentrated population.
How does tilke still get circuits, why doesn't f1 actually get approval polls for hes work they would quickly relise all hes circuits are hated.

I Think the track should of been either near Los angles or near New York City, Im not sure how Austin will be able to bring in the spectators.

and isn"t texas flat?

another flat Tilke drome is just what we need
East Austin is flat. However the city sits on a fault line iirc, so the western part of the city is very hilly. It really would make for a great iconic track nestled within the hills.

downside: F1 teams may now have to earthquake-proof their cars.

EDIT: Texas Hill Country: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi ... s_Hill_Country_187N-3.JPG
Quote from three_jump :OK, we can officially bury the (small) hope for an interesting / entertaining track now.

Tilke is doing it.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83891

look 4 posts above

also:
Quote :Race promoters said the track would be "one of the finest permanent road course facilities in the world. Fans should expect the craftsmanship Tilke is famous for.

Theres no hope.

Tilke? Ugh...boring track again. >.>

I will laugh at earthquake proof F1 cars though
Some nice tracks appear in the USA, but .. oh no! Tilke.. Shame, big shame. If its any good, I'll eat a burger.

F1 to return to the US in 2012
(85 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG