The online racing simulator
LFS:// links and Opera 10.51
(14 posts, started )
Hiya

For a reason LFS and Opera don't work together. IIRC I have mentioned about this earlier (:hide LFS apparently will start since I can see it in the running processes but I see no window for it.

Opera 10.51 on Windows XP home.
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Are you having difficulty accessing lfs.net, lfsworld.net and lfsforum.net on the Opera web browser, or is it something else?

I know if I was to try and help, I would need a bit more information.
Ah, that. No, I've never quite understood that, it hasn't ever worked for me. Sorry, can't help you I'm afraid.
Did you check the correct association between Opera and lfs.exe ?
In FireFox I have these settings in Tools -> Options menu...
I believe there's something similar in Opera too.

Edit: Ah, sorry, I re-read your OP and it looks like Opera is indeed launching LFS, but LFS is minimized...right ?
Attached images
JOINLFS.jpg
Actually you can set Opera up in 2 ways:

1) Automatically use a certain application for a protocol (=the same way as firefox). However if I set the protocol 'lfs' to be opened with 'LFS.exe' I get an "invalid command line" error.

2) If no application is set up for the protocol in question I get a popup asking weather I want to open LFS because Opera can't handle the link (see attached). This is probably because lfs links are associated with LFS.exe normally (the feature that came with the installer a while ago)

I think I have to be a little more clear about the problem as Opera does handle the links perfectly fine. The LFS window just won't appear on my screen even though the process is running.
Attached images
opera.PNG
Can confirm, LFS.exe opens under the Opera process but its window settings in process explorer is greyed out. This is with the same link association as Firefox.
LFS bug or Opera bug ??

Did you try to associate lfs protocol with whatever other "light" program you have (maybe 7-zip, vlc, etc...), just for the sake of experimenting and seeing what happens? Does Opera launch it correctly?

You should be able to see its window behaviour, before the parameters errors show up...of course any other program won't be able to handle lfs protocol the same way LFS does...

Did you post your issue in the LFS bug sub-forum ?
#9 - Bean0
Quote from hyntty :Actually you can set Opera up in 2 ways:

1) Automatically use a certain application for a protocol (=the same way as firefox). However if I set the protocol 'lfs' to be opened with 'LFS.exe' I get an "invalid command line" error.

This makes me think it is working but then failing at the command line switch to join the server.

The open with for me in Firefox is 'Use "<path to lfs>\LFS.exe" %1'
(" " are included, ' ' are not)
Quote from Ripley :LFS bug or Opera bug ??

LFS. As I said repeatedly, Opera handles the link (nearly) perfectly but LFS won't open correctly.
Quote :
Did you post your issue in the LFS bug sub-forum ?

The what? Never thought of that

Quote from Bean0 :This makes me think it is working but then failing at the command line switch to join the server.

No that's not the case. Actually, if I try to launch LFS via Opera, LFS will connect to a server, I will be online, and if I open LFS itself I get a "another instance already running message."

Again (, and I wish people would actually pay attention for once) the problem is in LFS starting but sort of running in the background with no visible evidence of it on screen. The process is there eating memory and I'm online and all but there is no LFS window anywhere. It's solely a Opera related problem as I tested with firefox.

Quote :
The open with for me in Firefox is 'Use "<path to lfs>\LFS.exe" %1'
(" " are included, ' ' are not)

Tried already.
I got the same problem - XP, Opera 10.51. I get similar results as you do just so you know, only difference is my lfs wont run but instead I get 'Invalid command line' in a small window and LFS process opens as well (about 4.5 MB).
There is way to bypass it however, maybe you discovered it already. Simply delete the protocol. Then, after you click the lfs link click yes - but leave the question that appears unticked (so that the protocol doesn't get added automatically). It's not the most convenient method clicking yes every time, but at least it works.

I remember protocol was indeed working in Z27, but I can't pinpoint if it stopped working after Z28 or Opera new version (didn't use links in Z28 at all until I read this).

If you manage to solve this please let me know.
Quote from hyntty :LFS. As I said repeatedly.......
.....Again (, and I wish people would actually pay attention for once).....

Not the right attitude man. We're just trying to help. I was typing while at work, doing RL related things...
Good luck.
Quote from Ripley :Not the right attitude man. We're just trying to help.

I'm not a nice guy sorry.
My observations:

When LFS is in window mode (I mean, it is supposed to be), the window does not become visible. The windows upper bar is visible for a short while, then it disappears. LFS.exe is shown in task manager

If full screen is used, LFS appears normally. However, when switching to windowed, it disappears, but this time stays visible in the task bar. Clicking on it appears to activate it, but LFS doesn't appear (like it's minimized). Right clicking and choosing maximize makes the window appear and from there on everything is normal.

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG