The online racing simulator
Holy Crap [Truck pushes car]
(71 posts, started )
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :There would probably be a pretty decent amount of friction between the car & the truck since the car is, you know, being pushed SIDEWAYS at 100km/h. It's not like a lane change is akin to a high speed hairpin or something, it's easily conceivable that a lane change could occur without losing the car. In fact, the article says that he maneovered onto the hard shoulder and judging by the context of what else is said, the car went with him.

This is true and overlooked by myself. But on the basis of the Video, what reason did the truck have to be in the middle lane?
Quote from BlueFlame :If what she says is true and she didn't deviate her path, then She's obviously undertook, or stayed the same speed as the truck as he's passed another vehicle. Which renderers it her fault anyway but the fact the truck was still in the middle-lane to me, it just seems more logical that she turned out infront of him whilst changing lane, or joining the motorway. Sure, you would see a truck more easily than a car, but people have done it before now, and will continue to do it. Just a case of people not looking, "I DINT SEE YAW". "Yea cos you didn't ****ing look." It's just how it goes. It's how alot of accidents occur.

Bit of local knowledge from someone who's (had the misfortune) to drive up and down that stretch of road (many, many more times than i would have liked) for the last twenty years or so.

It used to be nothing more than a dual carriageway all the way from Newcastle down to a big roundabout on the M62 (turn right for Leeds, go straight over for the old A1 and Doncaster etc, and turn left for Hull - although why anyone would want to go to Hull is beyond me - anyway). The Wetherby bypass in particular was a really nasty little stretch of road, very narrow, with quite a sharp and dipping turn, which simply couldn't be taken at speed, anything over 70 had you face first into the wall.
But now, that whole stretch has changed beyond recognition. In the space of about ten miles or so, it changes from a fast flowing dual carriageway into a six lane mega motorway. An extra lane is added on the left after various junctions, and it then eventually splits into two three lane highways (one goes off to Leeds, the other heads south to the M18 and Sunny Donny.

So, it's my guess the lorry driver was on the inside lane originally, but suddenly found it had become a middle lane after a junction. Then realising he was moving slower than the traffic on the 'new' inside lane had a quick check in his mirrors, saw a gap, and moved over (this is probably where he collected the Clio). Then, further down the road (probably only a couple of minutes or so) as it gains another new lane or two from the left, he finds the lane he's now travelling in has again become one of the middle/outer lanes.
Or, as BBT has said, and anyone who's driven a real car on a real motorway will tell you that changing lanes requires virtually no steering input whatsoever. Just a slight change of pressure to the left or right will do it. (It's not a twisty mountain road with hairpins and 90 degree bends, as has already been stated). So it's also highly likely the lorry could've changed lanes with the Clio still attached.

I guess the only way we'll know for certain is, when, and if, the driver comes forward and explains it from his side.
The Clio was on the left of the truck prior to the ... "incident", so that would make sense.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Bit of local knowledge from someone who's (had the misfortune) to drive up and down that stretch of road (many, many more times than i would have liked) for the last twenty years or so.

I have to drive on the A1(M) whenever I go anywhere that isn't Leeds. Good point - some of the junctions (M62/M1 and M1 Leeds/A64 particularly) do develop quite oddly, and I used to always find myself in a weird lane once the merging was all done with.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I have to drive on the A1(M) whenever I go anywhere that isn't Leeds. Good point - some of the junctions (M62/M1 and M1 Leeds/A64 particularly) do develop quite oddly, and I used to always find myself in a weird lane once the merging was all done with.

Oh yeah, if you make the mistake of being in the outside lane going past Wetherby, then realise you need to stay on the A1(M) to avoid Leeds, you'll soon find yourself having to battle through at least 4 lanes of traffic. It's a chuffing nightmare during rush hour, especially if you're driving a big panel sided van with no back windows.

Mind you, it's a damn sight better than it was. There's still a stretch of the old A1 between Scotch Corner and Dishforth and I always breath a sigh of relief when i've cleared the Leeming Bar junction without having a massive multicar shunt. Nasty little loop in the road with a very very short slip road on the left that you only see at the very last moment. Plus, on other stretches you've got cars crossing the road from either side and others pulling out from the central reservation. And, it used to be like that all the way down to London, except, south of Leeds there'd be a roundabout every ten or twenty miles. Makes you wonder how we ever got anywhere alive, and on time.
Well as per normal with any accident there's not much that a 3rd party theory can determine, but since I haven't driven that road before, I would have to undermine my own opinion with that of someone who has driven that road.

So, as the phrase goes, I stand corrected. Of course the accident may be discovered to be something completely bizarre that nobody would have ever thought of, but I suppose it makes sense that the truck driver is at fault ultimately given that he was dragging a car under his bumper for a good few miles down a motorway...

At least for once my opinion is understood for what it is, guess I'm not as much of an oddball as I first thought, on second thoughts.... :P
:bump:

Quote from BBC News :
The footage showed a Renault Clio being pushed at high speed along the A1(M), near Wetherby, Yorkshire, in January.

The lorry driver, John Tomlinson from Lancashire, appeared before North West Traffic Commissioner Beverley Bell. She told him he could retain his LGV driving licence because he could not see, hear or smell the car.

At the hearing at the Traffic Area Office in Warrington, Cheshire, Ms Bell praised Mr Tomlinson's coolness and "clear head" on discovering the Clio attached to his lorry.

Sean Joyce, Mr Tomlinson's solicitor, told the hearing how Clio driver Rhona Jane Williams was joining the southbound carriageway of the A1 (M) at junction 44 when the incident happened at around 0830 BST on 13 January.

The slip road joins the middle lane of the motorway, so she was effectively undertaking the 44-tonne tanker, Mr Joyce said. Ms Williams, a vet from York, told police she felt a "bump" as the vehicles came together and her car pivoted 90 degrees.

Unaware of the incident, Mr Tomlinson continued driving until a motorist began flashing his hazard lights. Mr Tomlinson, from Clitheroe, brought his lorry to a stop on the hard shoulder and only became aware of Ms Williams in the Clio when he got out of his vehicle.He tried to free her but the door was jammed so he reversed his tanker about 3ft (91cm) to release the car. Neither driver was injured.

Ms Bell told Mr Tomlinson: "It is absolutely clear that you could not see the Clio as you were driving.

"You showed, in my view, coolness and a clear head. "I feel it is entirely inappropriate for me to take away your licence.
"You, your employers and the haulage industry should be able to hold your heads up high after this incident."

Ms Bell added that the case illustrated the dangers of lorry blind spots and urged firms to install close proximity mirrors on older vehicles. It is now law for them to be installed in new lorries, she said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/10162158.stm
Quite right too!
Told y'all she undertook... but some of you didn't listen. Mainly Kev, oh what was that Kev? I was right wasn't I, and you gave me all this abuse about how I think I know everything but actually don't. Give me an apology and bow your head in shame.
regardless of who hit who, if this incident happened in canada, the truck driver would probably have been charged with reckless driving. the whole "i didn't see her" excuse doesn't fly here.

it outrages me to see that he got off scot free.

edit: omg 2700 posts.
can't say i've seen those over here, but that does seem like a good idea.
They're only useful on flat faced cabs, (which is common place in europe - except for that lovely Scania T Cab ) I can't see how it could help with the bonneted trucks in the States.
I agree Xaidon, but to be honest, I could only see that blindspot being a major issue at a red-light situation.

Also, on a side note, you wouldn't believe how difficult it is on some roundabouts for trucks to see what is coming, and then, there is european trucks who have even less chance of the same visibilty.

I saw a German trucker creeping out incrementally, I didn't see a problem with his method, it was all he COULD do, he had no chance of seeing anything, but my girlfriend at the time was blaring the horn and shouting abuse. I was sure to put her straight, but this is a girl that kept trying to tell me that cars have a blind spot. (not including the obvious, under the car, and directly under the front or back.. or on the roof...)
Quote from bunder9999 :regardless of who hit who, if this incident happened in canada, the truck driver would probably have been charged with reckless driving. the whole "i didn't see her" excuse doesn't fly here.

it outrages me to see that he got off scot free.

edit: omg 2700 posts.

If you were just cruising down the highway and someone pulled onto the road from a side road or an onramp and hit you, would you be happy with being charged with reckless driving? Same thing here, only the elephant didn't feel the mouse he stepped on when that mouse ran out in front of him.
#66 - senn
Video removed?
Quote from mrodgers :If you were just cruising down the highway and someone pulled onto the road from a side road or an onramp and hit you, would you be happy with being charged with reckless driving? Same thing here, only the elephant didn't feel the mouse he stepped on when that mouse ran out in front of him.

you're supposed to be aware of the surroundings of your vehicle at all times...
Quote from Xaid0n :Why don't the lorries have mirrors above the front of the cab pointing down? I've seen them on 7.5 ton lorries, why not the big ones?

E: This type of mirror http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl ... aws_gallery_250678944.jpg + http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl ... laws_gallery_51851907.jpg I mainly see them on small lorries, should be mandatory imo.

New trucks have to have them fitted by law, but there is no law (EU or otherwise) stating they have to be retro fitted. So it is at the owners discretion and due to the costs, most choose not to.
#70 - senn
Always be aware big vehicles have big blindspots. We had a ute almost get destroyed by a LHD (bogger/ug loader) when it tried to get past, it hadn't gotten positive commucation from the loader op, loader op didn't see the ute, articulated and pinned the ute to the wall. Loader op didn't even notice hitting the ute a couple times, he only noticed when the occupants of the ute shone their lamps on the roof.

Don't ever assume on a road that a truck can see you. Don't cut trucks off (pull in front, not leaving the truck braking room. They need LOTS)
I'm sure anyone who has driven a medium to large sized truck, or any other vehicle would agree.

Here's a study for Surface Mining equipment blindspots
http://www.usmra.com/repositor ... ent/Blind_Spots_Study.ppt
Quote from senn :Always be aware big vehicles have big blindspots. We had a ute almost get destroyed by a LHD (bogger/ug loader) when it tried to get past, it hadn't gotten positive commucation from the loader op, loader op didn't see the ute, articulated and pinned the ute to the wall. Loader op didn't even notice hitting the ute a couple times, he only noticed when the occupants of the ute shone their lamps on the roof.

Don't ever assume on a road that a truck can see you. Don't cut trucks off (pull in front, not leaving the truck braking room. They need LOTS)
I'm sure anyone who has driven a medium to large sized truck, or any other vehicle would agree.

Here's a study for Surface Mining equipment blindspots
http://www.usmra.com/repositor ... ent/Blind_Spots_Study.ppt

Smart words but people seem to think that Trucks (And busses) can stop on a dime. So many times I've seen trucks and busses be cut up. It really enrages me.

Holy Crap [Truck pushes car]
(71 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG