The online racing simulator
so what's in the new beta? only bug fixes and patches?
Sorry about bumping this thread up.

But I'm wondering what the new beta is like?

Are there any new tracks that have been released and such? since i've been out of the loop for along time

Only other question I have is about getting new unlock codes, as I have run out. I've already emailed them but it states 2-3 days, has anyone else had to wait that long?
Quote from adamlfs :
Only other question I have is about getting new unlock codes, as I have run out. I've already emailed them but it states 2-3 days, has anyone else had to wait that long?

I imagine most people have taken heed of the advice to BACK UP YOUR LICENSE AND DRIVER FOLDERS!! so you never need to unlock again.

Nice to see you again Adam Catch you on track sometime. Back up you license next time old chap.
Hey Stu, yeah I thought I had it backed up somewhere. But I guess I just forgot to or its lost in my many files

Already been playing the demo again and I can't believe how good it is again interested in driving the F1600 more.
I guess the car physics were improved as well?. There's now a huge amount of life-off-oversteer with the demo car, making the driving more difficult to me than in the older versions. (I'm not complaining though, more difficult = more fun!)
So what's going these days?

After the delay of Step 3, and the MTV blunder I just gave up and disengaged from the community. I did try Beta 3 but that just a one-off thing.

Guess they should be busy finalizing 1.1, right?
Is that all?
That is all.
Quote from NightShift :
Guess they should be busy finalizing 1.1, right?

Quote from The Moose :Correct.

I reported my bug at the forums over there, basically I can no longer connect to race online as of the update. It was acknowledged. I hope they fix it.
Yeah, I've heard of a few people that had that problem. No idea what that's all about, I've not really touched beta 3 as the leagues I race in still use Beta 2.
So, I decided took a look at DI (damn insomnia) and...

LOL! it seems someone linked my post about temperature on the nKp forum and got this reply from Kunos:

Quote :interesting.. if you guys have data from a real car 75m skidpad temperature test I would be happy to rework on the params and the formulas to match them.

Plus, apparently Kunos's not happy about the perpetual whining on the current tyre model and he's planning to bring back a revised version of the old one from 1.0.3.

Oh the irony. He was the one poking fun at Scawen for having to put on his rocket scientist hat to figure out how to make a lowly Scirocco (not a Lambo, he said) work correctly in LFS.

Another nice one is 1.1 final should have been out within February because in March they had more pressing things to do. Another long wait is in store?

Dunno what to hope, really.

Your correspondant from Italy,
the Nightshift.

PS: looks like there's more yummy stuff - full mode is deprecated since February!
Quote from NightShift :

Another nice one is 1.1 final should have been out within February because in March they had more pressing things to do. Another long wait is in store?

Dunno what to hope, really.

Damn I knew it. The 1.03 drama will repeat. Are there any news on the track-editor at least?
Quote from Hoshimodo :The 1.03 drama will repeat. Are there any news on the track-editor at least?

From the sound of it I was thinking more of something like the MTV stuff. They often say they have to rake in money doing other things otherwise they should have to charge 200-300€ for each nKp license.

There seems to be a sizeable part of the loyalist community unhappy with the 'dumbing down' that has been going on e.g. old 1.0.x features disappearing from 1.1, not only full mode being "deprecated" but also other smaller, harder to notice things.

And Kunos has been saying that they probably won't be able to support the old nKp model because true simracing is fading while arcade-sim combos are growing and are being pushed by big playes with massive budgets.

As for the track editor I've read about some "qualified" comments about it being almost out, but then again Kunos said that last September already IIRC.

I've not had enough time to sift through all the posts on DI; despite it being a small community there are a couple of long time users who feel entitled to do whatever they like and post a lot of cruft about their (unfounded?) feelings.

Now this wouldn't be too much of a problem if only Kunos didn't waste time replying to make them happy. BTW he says he keeps fudging things yet "the numbers are OK" but maybe he knows there's really something off.

Plus there are lot of silly bug reports that are really features or known bugs or user mistakes etc (this however is the forum guys' fault for not sticky-ing FAQs, the same holds true for LFSforum)

One other big news which I haven't seen much advertised is the addition of a new auto update system which should push small patches to the clients, and which should make things easier for Kunos (it seems uploading big bundles is a problem)

However he seems pretty nervous about it backlashing so I guess that may be another reason for the delay.
Quote from NightShift :
I've not had enough time to sift through all the posts on DI; despite it being a small community there are a couple of long time users who feel entitled to do whatever they like and post a lot of cruft about their (unfounded?) feelings.

Now this wouldn't be too much of a problem if only Kunos didn't waste time replying to make them happy.

Hehe, the ever recurring issue...
Quote from NightShift :And Kunos has been saying that they probably won't be able to support the old nKp model because true simracing is fading while arcade-sim combos are growing and are being pushed by big playes with massive budgets.

so clearly the best choice is to put your game that by the looks of it is developed by drunken lemurs up against big budget games developed by professionals?
Quote from The Moose :Yeah, I've heard of a few people that had that problem. No idea what that's all about, I've not really touched beta 3 as the leagues I race in still use Beta 2.

It was explained that it might be a bug in the server list taking up 100% cpu for single core systems.

Well at least I'm not the only one.
Quote from NightShift :

Plus, apparently Kunos's not happy about the perpetual whining on the current tyre model and he's planning to bring back a revised version of the old one from 1.0.3.

Interesting stuff... but what still continues to bother me is the whole induced understeer thing. Fix it or find proof.
Quote from Gnomie :Hehe, the ever recurring issue...

Well I don't think he would spend so much time just to hunt ghosts, so either he's not quite pleased or he doesn't really mean (all?) that he says.

Quote from Shotglass :so clearly the best choice is to put your game that by the looks of it is developed by drunken lemurs up against big budget games developed by professionals?

Come on, that would be suicidal! (Yet, iRacing IMO has enough money and smarts behind it to be just as much of a PITA as a major publisher, and iR and nKp appeal to audiences that are not so different)

One of the main ideas behind 1.1 is to make nKp more accessible to a wider audience than before, i.e. going towards the LFS end of the spectrum. That's not a bad thing per se but it also looks like it does not come for free.

Maybe Full Mode is just too much and Kunos is right in turning it into some sort of undocumented feature, that I don't know.

Still, the expectations of the loyal fan base have to be managed, and the guys @ KS don't appear to have quite the knack for communication and expectation management.
I have thought about the differences in the way a racing game feels from one to another, or one physics model to another, and have concluded:

As technology and development continue, each game will feel more and more similar.

I can draw this conclusion because each game, in its own way, is trying to achieve the same goal. That is realism. The closer they get to realism, the more each game will feel similar. This is because there is only one "real".

Eventually every racing game will feel exactly the same.
Quote from legoflamb :I have thought about the differences in the way a racing game feels from one to another, or one physics model to another, and have concluded:

As technology and development continue, each game will feel more and more similar.

I can draw this conclusion because each game, in its own way, is trying to achieve the same goal. That is realism. The closer they get to realism, the more each game will feel similar. This is because there is only one "real".

Eventually every racing game will feel exactly the same.

Well they all feel different to me, must mean they have a long road to realism.

I do agree with you though.
A long road is certainly true. I agree, the different physics models have their own feel at the limit. Only certain situations do they feel similar.
Quote from legoflamb :...there is only one "real". ...

There are more "real" than there are people.

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG