The online racing simulator
Quote from JJ72 :Asking an art guy to do PR? He'll rather chop his dick off.

:uglyhamme

So it is either up to Victor or they get someone to work for them (very unlikely) to do PR's. Scawen seems a bit stressed out since his tyre physics plans haven't gone too well. The last thing he will want is people moaning at him for trying to do his best and being forced to answer why development speed is slow over and over again.
#27 - JJ72
Scawan's wife (damn I forgot her name) were mentioned to be in sort of PR position, but I guess the idea just disappeared without notice....not that I would expect that to work out anyway.

LFS is much like an indie band, they made a few good records, had a bit of fun, picked up a few self-important fanboys and then gone with the wind. That's how it should be.
Holy cow, I di'nt knew that!
Even tho people are losing interest in LFS, and it affects MoE, IGTC, etc., moans won't bring Scirocco/Rockingham/Physics or whatsoever you want. Its easy to compare LFS to rFactor or iRacing itself, which is waay too overpriced. Like Devildare said, LFS is made by 3 enthusiasts who were keen to spend their time on making this, and I reckon they're not happy or motivated to do any more when they see dramatic whines of "lfs is too old" "wheres my scirocco" "tyre physics are bad, gimme new" etc. etc.
I think that if the dev's expanded the current selection to a American stock car, and maybe incorporated more ovals. That they could increase the sales in the Americas. Maybe just sell it as an addon pack of ovals with an oval car. Lfs would be a great alternative to THOSE WHO CANT AFFORD IRACING BUT STILL WANT REALISTIC OVAL RACING! I am sure the devs could also find people in the community to help them with the data and testing physics for this. As long as it isnt NASCAR promoted, I'm sure that general stock cars could be developed and various ovals including fictional and realistic tracks could be created.

I have some experience in Nascar Heat with modeling tracks , I can tell you that it isnt the hardest thing in the world to do. However I am sure the physics portion is rather difficult. I know that the devs really do not want to allow player editing but it may be a good idea. Instead of having people release random mod's maybe have it so that the devs must approve them and then they can release them to the cummunity via the LFS forums.

The devs should consider the input we give them as we are the reason they are getting money from this simulator. I think the devs have done a great job developing and the quality is great bit the speed isnt all that great. I am sure that there are people out there willing to help. If the devs want to make more money from this sim then they will need to release new updates more rapidly, or atleast give us updates, so people will have their money in their hands and be ready to buy some new trakcs or cars.

There is no way that the cummunity will survive at this rate, and it should survive, because the sim is great. The devs need to step in a little bit more and show us screenshoots and videos of what these new tireswill do, how the new cars look, and maybe a passover of the track ? All these little things can help LFS succeed more easily.

And lastly, advertising. LFS does NOT ADVERTISE WHATSOEVER. We should be advertising at sim racing sites, advertising at real racing sites, and more... maybe promoting it to real life drivers asking them to try it for realism and to increase the popularity, because if they like it they will recomend it.

Thank you.
PS: I think the devs have done a great job and I am really enjoying myself but this SIM could use some more development or atleast teasers. To us it looks very slow but I am sure that you are working hard and not showing us everthing.
TBH LFS is particularly hideous for Oval Racing [bad drafting model and dodgy collision detection] and tyre physics isn't going to fix that.
Quote from JJ72 :LFS shouldn't aim to compete with Iracing, it really should re-discover what made it great in the first place...

Agree 100%

I think Scawen is doing the right thing to take his time to get his head around the physics as this will probably be the last time he does a major overhaul on tyre physics. Ultimately if he can get that right the rest will fall into place imo

One of the key differences between LFS and iRacing that I find currently is that in LFS I'd get up to a certain performance level then really struggle to see how it's possible to go faster, in iRacing I still have to work hard at going faster but I always feel I can get more out of it. Hard to describe what I mean there but I believe it comes down to the tyre physics and track dynamics it's just more convincing in iRacing at the moment.

I don't see why LFS has to compete with iRacing either as I'll certainly give S3 a go when it comes out and if I like it will run that along with iRacing - the two can happily coincide
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :[*]Last thing, if any troll is going to act in this thread, I would sincerly ask him to realise that he would not have the balls to do so if he was in front of real people, instead of his computer screen.
2) The official forum is not properly moderated and became an heterogeneous melt of trolls, perverts and kids thinking that LFS will help them to sort their childish problems, mixing with legitimate LFS lovers willing to share their passion with other people.

What can be done about it:
  • Be harsher with offenders. If someone do not have enough maturity to hang out there, warning, and then, ban.
  • Hire new moderators, as the current ones seem to be running out of motivation.
  • Remove problematic and offensive posts/threads.

If the below people would have read the above, I wouldn't have felt so obliged to report their posts.

Quote from DarkTimes :tl;dr

Quote from rc10racer :

Quote from arrowkart4 :ergh

Quote from e.M :greybull u are seriously ill

Quote from SilverArrows77 :Did i just hear a pin drop....:em31:

I do agree with some points, a few more updates would be nicer, but I don't expect this and it probably won't happen. Maybe one a month would do.

Also, a three man dev team is cute and feels more homemade, but its not getting the job done as fast as the community seems to want. As said, a few more devs, even if it was just doubling the team size would help very much. Pick a few people out of the addons section, like Lynce, ask if they would help and see how it goes.
Quote from DarkTimes :tl;dr

If you can't even be bothered to read my thread, why can you be bothered to post in it?

Anyway, I'm happy you posted this as it proves my point: spam is a problem on LFS Forum.

Now, if you can't have your own opinion, either shut up or buy one. Thanks.

Quote from JJ72 :I think the devs are being really honest, Scawan has stated his lack of passion about the project recently and I believe for a 3 man project, really not much will be done unless you trap them in an office working 13 hours a day. They have their own projects and their own life, so I don't believe they are hiding anything. They have no reason to hide because they don't have shareholders and investors to answer to, and in all the time I've known about the devs, they are pretty comfortable with working to their own pace.

I must say, I pretty much tried to chock people on purpose with argument n°3. Scawen isn't really lying to us indeed, but lots of work need to be done on the communication and customer service side of the sim. No one knows exactly what Scawen stated about X or Y except people actually searching for Scawen's post history because no one can be bothered to read the "Progress Report thread" until page 35.

I do know that Scawen cares of his sim, somehow But I'm mostly stating that for any casual people, he's giving the impression to hide himself in the masses. As I stated before, LFS.net is an underused tool, why don't Scawen use it a bit more in order to express his mood?

Quote from JJ72 :And about this part:
"The devs shouldn't be affraid of people moaning and trolling: they could easily get rid of those people with good and active forums moderators."

Why should moaners be removed?

A over moderated forum is a boring forum, you know what is the worst reputation about the LFS forum? Is that you can't say anything negative about LFS.....yeah, stricter moderation will just make it worse.

Well, I kinda agree on that one. Moaning should be allowed of course(And it'd better be for me, because I'm kinda moaning right now:razz, I just meant that moaning has some limits and should remain constructive. Posts such as "Scawen sucks, now give update or go die in a fire" are a good example of unconstructive(and unrespectous towards the devs and the community) that shouldn't be allowed. And this is why the mods are there.

Quote from JJ72 :LFS shouldn't aim to compete with Iracing, it really should re-discover what made it great in the first place, no matter what you try LFS isn't going to have the same production quality of big budget releases. I agree LFS should use the talented user base to their advantage, the community spirit and the casual atmosphere of it especially, it will take someone close to the devs to think over. LFS cannot compete in budget and development speed, not ever, but there are things that doesn't cost much but makes a lot of difference.

This makes sence, yea But I do belive that LFS has the potential to at least keep its current quality members if minimal efforts are done now.

Quote from z-ro 8 :I really don't like to respond to such posts, but I for one have taken the attitude to overlook what LFS lacks simply because of how much I enjoy the people who play it.

But if fewer people play on a daily basis, my arguement becomes moot.

TBH honest, I don't know crap about what it takes to make, maintain or develop a sim. But I can say that if whoever is responsible for doing so is overwhelmed, or just doesn't give two shits, let someone else help.

Everyone has their limits, and there's always someone willling to step up and help out.

This makes sence, and not so much time ago, I used to think like you. But obviously, the amount of quality people moving/willing to move to iRacing is just making me too sad

Quote from JazzOn :I can't agree with that, because Scawen just recently told what's going on and never lied. He admitted that its not no1 priority ATM. Reporting publicly whats not working out is pointless. It's self-demotivating and a waste of time, if you know what i mean. Scawen/Devs are the only one who need to know whats going on.

Yeah, somehow I agree. This post tries to prove JJ72's point, so check my answer to JJ72's post for my reaction about this.

Quote from AndroidXP :First the Brazilians, now the French

Sorry, what do you mean exactly?

Quote from e.M :greybull u are seriously ill

Haha. I must say, I laughed on that one

Now, seeing your post history and your sig, I have good reasons to think that the only reason why you're hanging on there is to troll. So I can understand that you have reasons to tr to pretend I'm ill. Just check again what I proposed for the guys like you. Section 2), "What should be done about it", first proposition, that is

Quote from NotAnIllusion :The way in which LFS is currently being developed doesn't bother me one bit.

Next thread.

Good you expressed your opinion I think. This is rather nice to see people stil enjoying the game for what it is now, and what it could be, but it shouldn't be.

I guess you didn't read my thread well anyway as I'm not really speaking about the way is developped but much more the way LFS is maintained and promoted. These are rather different things.
Fantastically worded post In fact its probably the best post i have seen around here in a while... But it is just another one of the many "I'm bored, give me new content" threads.

Development continues, the devolopment plan is set. our job in the community is to wait... patiently... OR if thats not possible, Play something else whilst waiting...

Quote from EliteAti :
Also, mods havent been doing anything lately, how about recruiting some moderators for this forum Scavier? Im sure trashtalking would end and everyone would get along, unlike sometimes nowadays.

@ EliteAti... I beg to differ, Theres been plenty of moderation going on, Although you might not notice it due to the amount of bad users currently stalking the forums.

This thread is likely to end in one of 2 ways.. either with a Fanboy vs non-Fanboy flame war, or closed.

It seems "ok" right now, but i'll be monitering closely over the next few hours.

Although i cant say i agree with the thread title, Perhaps you would consider changing it for the sake of keeping things tidy...
@Bmx: why give them more work, when the issue is completing the work that already needs to be done? And you won't get realistic oval racing with unrealistic cars anyway.
Leave the ovals to rFactor, NH and iRacing, and let LFS be what it is.
Quote from franky500 :Fantastically worded post In fact its probably the best post i have seen around here in a while... But it is just another one of the many "I'm bored, give me new content" threads.

I agree with the first bit, but I disagree that it's a "give me more content" style thread. I think he (Greybull) is highlighting what he feels should be done to improve the relationship between Scavier and the consumers, and I would agree the bond between 3 devs and the users of their product, that have paid for it to help pay their bills, is a bit lacking. I would personally like to see this increased.

Quote from franky500 :@ EliteAti... I beg to differ, Theres been plenty of moderation going on, Although you might not notice it due to the amount of bad users currently stalking the forums.

Recruitment time for more moderators perhaps?
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :If you can't even be bothered to read my thread, why can you be bothered to post in it?

Because it's the same old blah blah blah bullshit that's been posted on these forums by someone new every week for the last five years.

Quote from piggy501 :If the below people would have read the above, I wouldn't have felt so obliged to report their posts.

Oh, you reported my post. I expect I'll get banned then.

Did I mention I had chicken arrabbiata for breakfast? It was a bit spicy, but worth it.
well about dumb post at forum: It's just a part of forum life you cant have active forum without spam
Quote from oldnavy :well about dumb post at forum: It's just a part of forum life you cant have active forum without spam

Ban the spammers and you have an active forum without spam
Quote from SparkyDave :IMO this is just another thread trying to make out the LFS Devs should do more, very well worded for a non native english speaker tho

Also people thinking that "do it this way" or "do it that way" will change anything the devs do is just silly, they do what they will, when they want! and theres nothing wrong with that.

"mistakes in LFS development" and "lfs will never match iracing" are just very silly statements also.

If your very rich then go to iracing you might be able to afford all the content but don't come here and try to fix lfs with one post.

SD.

Thanks for the first part

I'm aware the devs aren't gonna follow exactly what they read in this section anyway, but I still belive they read the forum once in a while, which helps them to see how the community react and such.

Unfortunately I can't afford iRacing and anyway, I just love LFS more than I could enjoy iR. But there are interresting ideas in iR that the LFS devs could consider.

Quote from DevilDare :Silly IMO. Beware, what you are about to read is MY opinion.

First of all, let me just say this; iRacing.com can easily be called a company. There is a reason why they have huge headquarters and are working with top level motorsport and are getting all the promotion. Thats also the reason they are able to produce quality content on such short time.
They are making money everyday. Like I said in the other thread, I wouldnt be surprised if the devs are simply not motivated enough because they know they are not getting enough out of it in terms of money.
Scavier is a 3 man team, therefore I dare calling them "indie" developers. They do not have the resources, nor the financial back up to produce at the same pace as iRacing does.
It is quite simply stupid IMO to compare them in any way when it comes to the developers themselves.
I am not saying that Scawen, or Eric or Victor aren't as good as the guys at iRacing. I am however, saying that you dont need to know rocket science to figure out that more people will produce faster.

So there you go. Ofcourse LFS will not be as good as iRacing. iR came in and took over because they saw this as a proper investment that would bring a lot of money. LFS on the other hand, was simply a hobby. There is a bloody huge difference.

The whole idea of the devs being isolated from the community also sounds somewhat stupid. Reporting MoE/IGTC/NDR events at LFS.net? Why should they? What will this bring to THEM? Am I missing something here?
There is the news section in LFS World where you can add all your events and whatnot. They are displayed at the main page of the forums for everyone to see. How is that not enough?

Also, devs do not have to promote the work of the community. No one asked them to develop addons and all that. Sure its a great thing to have and it really improved LFS and how we play it, but they were not forced to do it. And thats another thing, it is made BY the community, FOR the community.

Its like you would start expecting ISI to promote the mods to rFactor. Plain silly. Thats the players job. (Simraceway/rFactor Central/Inside Sim Racing etc)

On the same note, do you actually know any game company that is promoting the stuff fans make?

I will somewhat agree with the moderation part tho. The mods are very unpredictable. One time they will ban you for something minor, and the other ignore when it really needs to be acted on.
I dont blame them tho. This place is a mess. There is no lying about that. But then again, which forum isn't? Thats how internet works. The mods can do very little about it.

There you go. Please feel free to disagree with me. Thats simply how I see things right now.

Indeed,you cannot really compare LFS with iR, as they are so much different. But somehow, they are competing together, as they both are racing sims and are attracting the same type of customers. And LFS is loosing many players to iR. If LFS wants to remain competitive against iR then it'll have make some chances I guess.

Quote from J@tko :TBH LFS is particularly hideous for Oval Racing [bad drafting model and dodgy collision detection] and tyre physics isn't going to fix that.

Indeed

Quote from piggy501 :If the below people would have read the above, I wouldn't have felt so obliged to report their posts.

I do agree with some points, a few more updates would be nicer, but I don't expect this and it probably won't happen. Maybe one a month would do.

Also, a three man dev team is cute and feels more homemade, but its not getting the job done as fast as the community seems to want. As said, a few more devs, even if it was just doubling the team size would help very much. Pick a few people out of the addons section, like Lynce, ask if they would help and see how it goes.

Totally agree.

Quote from franky500 :Fantastically worded post In fact its probably the best post i have seen around here in a while... But it is just another one of the many "I'm bored, give me new content" threads.

Thanks, but nah, it isn't really. Most of the OP isn't dealing with the content, but much more with the general strategy the devs are trying to follow, which isn't well understable for the random community member. Most of the people do not understand if the devs are still working on LFS, what they really think about how's the community going, if they enjoy the stuff some community members are working on...

IMO, either you decide to act like a big company and let the community deal with its own forums, or you decide to stay close to the community and take some of your time to answer to the fans etc.

The thing is, if you are willing to follow option n°1, you actually have to maintain a place where you actually tell people what

I have the feeling LFS can't really decide between the two options unfortunately, which ends up in a messy public relation system.
Quote from J@tko :Ban the spammers and you have an active forum without spam

most of "spamers" are the ppl who keeps that forum active, sometimes they post spam sometimes good stuff so this would be bad in most casses
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :I guess you didn't read my thread well anyway as I'm not really speaking about the way is developped but much more the way LFS is maintained and promoted. These are rather different things.

Promotion is heavily interlinked with development, from my PoV. I don't particularly want LFS to be promoted much with no ETA on S2 "retail". In the current stage of development, which RL racers use LFS is of no interest to me. Featuring community content and events would be fine, but tbh until certain steps in development have taken place, I'd do no more than spend 5 seconds skimming a feature
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Unfortunately I can't afford iRacing and anyway, I just love LFS more than I could enjoy iR. But there are interresting ideas in iR that the LFS devs could consider.

I'm stuck with the same situation as you, so I can only use LFS. iRacing looks great and if LFS had more devs, it would be able to keep up and also improve to similar levels.

Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :IMO, either you decide to act like a big company and let the community deal with its own forums, or you decide to stay close to the community and take some of your time to answer to the fans etc.

The thing is, if you are willing to follow option n°1, you actually have to maintain a place where you actually tell people what

I have the feeling LFS can't really decide between the two options unfortunately, which ends up in a messy public relation system.

I agree. They're acting like a big company, but they're only small. The phrase "Acting too big for their boots." springs to mind.

My mum works for PR...
Quote from AndroidXP :It's a joke about the Brazilian "LFS is doomed" trio that all started here: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=3643 (please note both date and general content/aim of the thread)

Ahh, good old times

Made my day

Quote from DarkTimes :Because it's the same old blah blah blah bullshit that's been posted on these forums by someone new every week for the last five years.

You make absolutely no sence dude. If you feel this thread is useless, ignore it, don't troll it like that, it's just so stupid, and your own bullshit won't improve anything there either. Unless you enjoy trolling, which is probably the case.

Franky, Piggy is right actually. Time to do something for the moderation perhaps?
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :... he's giving the impression to hide himself in the masses. As I stated before, LFS.net is an underused tool, why don't Scawen use it a bit more in order to express his mood?

This is what i was on about saying 'demotivating'. If he'd go all out regulary and share his 'feeling' or self expectations, the flaming and especially rumors, ect, would only be pushed. Past has shown that this happens inevitably.
You need to consider here again, that not all users, may it be licensed or demo, are as mature as others. After all it's a public forum.

And 1 thing i'd like to say regards Iracing. If i'm informed correct. Krammer is basicly working for 20 years on iracing, by making connections and so on... so this will always be hard to keep up.

I think once it's finished they will promote it properly.

PS: I'd agree on the moderating issuse.. at least sometimes in the skins section. But thats just my 2 cents
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :
Also, real life racers are also totally ignored, while they should be a pride and a force for LFS. I'm not even sure that 10% of the licensed players are aware that the Williams F1 test driver used to play LFS and used to drive in leagues that you and me can join. Here again, LFS.net is the answer.

Great post Greybull and you have serious points here.

IMO LFS guided racings sims just up to the level when they became acceptable by real racers community what they treated before as "playstation games". I was hoping then that those communities would interfere and sims would even become a playground area for future real racers. However LFS progress slowed down, some flaws are to be fixed now, and iRacing went over that point and became such a platform that gives opportunity for a lot of people to race with real life racers.

I would blame contradictory objectives that devs have - first, the very important point of LFS was to have best phisics best optimized for online play that gives respect for the sim.
Second, I reckon, and I seriously and undoubtely do not know why, that popularity of demo servers, mostly populated by kids, is something regarded by devs as rewarding. Graphics and new content is something appauling to gameplayers, therefore I also dont understand why devs dont give props to third parties creating such content that would be appreciated by gameplayers. Well they did, some of them where included in several patches I think.

So I see as as a challenge is to find good equilibrium or rather solutions to those objectives.

I also agree that this forum is known for the community so any new content that would promote LFS and its capabilities on the official site would be welcomed.
Know what else would make LFS better? Scirocco.
#49 - arco
Put them in an office and let them work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, like most people in this world does while still managing family and other stuff, and I'm sure things would happen a lot faster. But as we all know that's not the way they want to work, and the reason they went solo. I totally undestand that, and it sure has its upsides, but also some downsides.
Quote from SidiousX :Know what else would make LFS better? Scirocco.

Saying that won't help. It'll just cause a bitchfight and get the thread locked, which defeats the purpose of the thread.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG