The online racing simulator
Tensions heighten over the Falkland Island
(58 posts, started )
#26 - 5haz
Quote from Xaid0n :What I don't get is why Argentina are so determined to get the island, they tried to get it hundreds of years ago but they failed to and they were only there for a short period, compared to British occupation since 1833.

Because it's discovered to have 60 billion barrels of oil under it probrably.

Quote from flymike91 :the uk should give up. nothing is ever worth fighting for. Give them your healthcares too.

:feedtroll:
Quote from danthebangerboy :And lets face it, if what we hear from the media is to be believed, then our boys are already so overstretched that they barely have a pot to piss in out in afghanistan as it is, the last thing we need is another falklands on our hands at the same time.

Conscription my friend.
#28 - 5haz
Would you go if push comes to shove?

I think the army needs more equipment to go around between the people it has now before it goes about getting in more people.
Just tell them you're gay and men in uniforms get you horny. Or you know, remind them there's an election in a few months and people in armed service still get to vote...
Quote from danthebangerboy :as we have between us started to take from the taliban and give back at least some order and leadership back to their people

Karzai is a crook and a swindler, and when NATO does pull out he'll be even worse. News today is that he's assumed direct control of the body that governs Afghan elections - the same body that declared 30% of his popular vote to be fraudulent in the election he recently won.

He'll probably turn out to be another Saddam Hussein.
Quote from thisnameistaken :He'll probably turn out to be another Saddam Hussein.

Our government used to like Saddam anyway, they don't care about tyrants and dictators, just so long as they are friends with them.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Our government used to like Saddam anyway, they don't care about tyrants and dictators, just so long as they are friends with them.

I wouldn't argue with that, but you can't sit back and light your pipe taking pride in the knowledge that you've legitimised a new one.

Yeah the Taliban are religious mentalists with a bizarre moral code, but Karzai is a crooked self-serving bastard with no morals at all. I don't really understand why anyone would prefer one over the other.

But it's a lot like Palestine. The USA wades in, says "Have a democratic election, democracy is like, awesome, like, dude", so they have a 'democratic election' and a ****ing fruitcake becomes a democratically-elected leader. But of course in Palestine they're busy still bombing the place by proxy over that election result, it remains to be seen what they do with Karzai once the invasion money runs out.

They should just stop ****ing with the middle east altogether and let them sort it out amongst themselves. If it means Israel is raged to dust and Iran nukes half the gulf states then at least it's over with.
i felt quite sad the other week when i discovered the general belgrano's history. when the falkands war happened everything was an us and them situation but time allowes you to find out more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Phoenix_(CL-46)

it just seemed so unfair for it to finish like that after surviving pearl harbour

of course i then started worrying why i felt more sad about the ship than the sailors lost on her
lol @ thisnameistaken.

Oh bless, they're at it again.

A few nuclear subs and a battalion of Royal Marines will be sure to send them packing... again.
Quote from amp88 :I feel the same way about England stealing all of Scotland's oil money...

England accounts for £1.8 Trillion GDP and nearly 90% of UK GDP, London alone accounts for 20% of UK GDP, whilst North Sea Oil accounts for 1.5% GDP and less than 2% of taxes.

So how about we complain at the Scot's stealing English money eh?
#36 - 5haz
Quote from Scott Mckenzie :lol @ thisnameistaken.

Oh bless, they're at it again.

A few nuclear subs and a battalion of Royal Marines will be sure to send them packing... again.

I hope people don't get too complacent like that, it has been said that if more of the Argentine bombs that had been dropped on our ships had actually had time to arm and explode then it could've gone the other way quite easily.

Quote from Scott Mckenzie :England accounts for £1.8 Trillion GDP and nearly 90% of UK GDP, London alone accounts for 20% of UK GDP, whilst North Sea Oil accounts for 1.5% GDP and less than 2% of taxes.

T'is true that, I'd be glad to be in a country with one of the world's leading financial centres. (Although that may change soon)
By 'Argentine bombs' I take it you mean French built and French supplied Exocet missiles? The same France who were suppose to be our allies yet they still supplied arms to our enemy - but hey were no angels either.

The SIS actually run an operation to stop that supply line. We installed arms dealers who were in talks with the Argentineans... but little did they know that the dealers were actually British agents who's objective was to divert their attention away from the real dealers who could actually get the equipment to them.

The only confirmed warhead not to explode was the one which hit the HMS Glamorgan. The real threat came from the Navy's inadequate Anti-Air defence systems based on the ships. So if the Argentineans had managed to take out our two carriers then we would have been in a sticky situation. Thankfully the superior Harriers managed to keep them at bay.
-
(Scott Mckenzie) DELETED by Scott Mckenzie : double post
#38 - 5haz
Nah I meant unguided bombs that were dropped at such a low level (by US built Skyhawks) they didn't have time to arm by the time they hit the ships, from what I've read quite a few British ships ended up with unexploded bombs on board (and of course in at least one case, exploded later).
Quote from Shotglass :youd lose either way
if you want to keep the falklands youd better challenge them in some obscure sport absolutely no one cares about like cricket or competitive haggis eating

That would be the second most popular sport in the world (which no one cares about?). Chortle

Enjoy your competitive lederhosen modelling.
Quote from Jordan2007 :Take Maradona hostage, cut off his hand and Then we make him play football.

Funny how, whenever Maradona is mentioned they always refer to the first goal, BUT they always seem to forget the 2nd goal in which he piddled all over the English defence and showed the skill only a god can have and leave us mortals in his wake.
Quote from Scott Mckenzie :England accounts for £1.8 Trillion GDP and nearly 90% of UK GDP, London alone accounts for 20% of UK GDP, whilst North Sea Oil accounts for 1.5% GDP and less than 2% of taxes.

It should be obvious to anyone that looking at today's numbers don't show anything like a true picture. We can't say what the picture would have been like if Scotland had been independent when the oil was discovered. Additionally, if Scotland was independent then a lot of trained Scots may not have travelled to London (they may have stayed in Edinburgh/Glasgow and developed that as a centre of business). The general public (and, of course, the Scots in particular) were deceived by the English government about the impact of the discovery of the oil (the revenue was not accounted for accurately). Take a look at the McCrone Report.

Quote :Conclusion
This paper has shown that the advent of North Sea oil has completely overturned the traditional economic arguments used against Scottish nationalism. An independent Scotland could now expect to have massive surpluses both on its budget and on its balance of payments and with the proper husbanding of resources this situation could last for a very long time into the future.

Yes a very bias report. I have no issues with Scotland going alone, but Scotland should keep the Darien scheme in mind.

Scotland does not own ALL the North Sea oil as things currently stand. Some of it is in English waters. So why should calculations be done based on it claiming England's oil?

Controversy persists about a claimed "tweaking" of the maritime border between England and Scotland in the 1960s, the border being altered in Scotland's favor. The English were not consulted. Concerns about this issue must be addressed.

Or what about if the Orkney Islands claimed independence, hell that would see alot of Scottish Oil gone? but i guess you wouldn't have an issue with that.

The list goes on. All the talk about the English keeping the Scottish down just to keep control is aload of crap, conspiracy theorists. If we were keeping Scotland in poverty why would we spend so much more money on the health service and education than we do in any other part of the UK, including England?
#43 - 5haz
Id rather be Scottish, then I could have my Uni tuition fees paid for, a privelidge the English no longer have.

We have a Scotsman as Prime Minister, so does England rule Scotland or does Scotland rule England?
obligatory simpsons quote

Quote :BART: "Wait, how can you be here, when your show's on live?"

KRUSTY: "Ah, I just threw on some old rerun. Nobody'll know the difference."

KRUSTY (on TV): "The Falkland Islands have just been invaded. I repeat: The Falkland Islands have just been invaded! (Whips out map and pointer) The disputed islands lie here, off the coast of Argentina..."

Quote from 5haz :Id rather be Scottish, then I could have my Uni tuition fees paid for, a privelidge the English no longer have.

Looks like someone has never heard of academic inflation and the un-reported consequences of these types of schemes. "yay it's 'free' **cough cough** so it must be good" lol
#46 - 5haz
Quote from Intrepid :"yay it's 'free' **cough cough** so it must be good" lol

Good for me at least, and honestly that all I care about.

If the rich people have to pay out some more of their huge bonuses I wont shed a tear.
Quote from 5haz :Good for me at least, and honestly that all I care about.

If the rich people have to pay out some more of their huge bonuses I wont shed a tear.

How can spending 3 years of your life in a university be a good thing be good if by the end of it your qualification, or the process in which you were able to do that course renders it is totally worthless. In fact there has been a trend for people to skip University and get a 3 year head start on graduates. The internet is such a wonderful resource most degree level information is widely available already with having to tax people.

Those huge bonuses btw are not being paid out by rich people. It's your money that's being paid out whether it be through QE (inflation) or from tax revenue. And if all the rich people decide they've had enough and skip abroad then there'll be even less jobs and business in the UK for you to apply to with your worthless degree... but at least it's free right??

the yooof today have absolutely no clue!
Quote from sinbad :That would be the second most popular sport in the world (which no one cares about?). Chortle

haggis eating is nowhere near as popular as you seem to think it is
Quote from Shotglass :haggis eating is nowhere near as popular as you seem to think it is

Damn straight. I had a really minging haggis, neeps and tatties in a pub in Northumberland last year and I haven't eaten haggis since.
Ah god, Haggis. Looked it at, Looked alright. Smelt it, Smelt of sh*t. Goodbye.

Not trying to offend Haggis Lovers, but common! The Food that represents your country as most people seem to think, Sheep heart, liver and lungs..

Tensions heighten over the Falkland Island
(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG