The online racing simulator
Yes, by 8 tenths or something, this just might be due to setup/car development during the night im assuming unless he was heavier yesterday. BTW i think its time to stop reading into these times so much, the inconsistency of the times makes it hard to make anything out of them, especially not knowing fuel loads.
dawguk: No need to be so defensive. You should base your assumptions on facts, not speculations.

Hamilton set 1m12.491s a few minutes before you posted that he was running with 20 laps to go. It has since been over an hour, and he has only improved his time by just over 0.12 seconds.

Clearly, the lap times should NOT be taken at face value. You are trying to extrapolate too much from the lap times. I should point out that Barrichello, Hamilton, and Massa have all been doing long runs today, not just Hamilton.

After tomorrow, when all the lap times are in and more information may be available, then we can start to say who has been truly impressive.
UPDATE: Rosberg doing heavy runs now.

Massa clocks 1:12.370 during a 6-lap stint. Now suffering from a gearbox problem. Update: false alarm for Massa.

Hamilton on a 18-lap stint, pulls out 1:13.262.
Earlier on in the day, I was reading that Massa is doing a long stint, and running 1m14s. Rosberg is currently doing long stints, and running 1:16s. I can only compare this data. It's hardly like I'm arbitrarily plucking stats out of the air either, it's a best educated guess given all the facts and figures that are thrown at me.

And in that, it's not that different to watching practice sessions on Friday / Saturday of a normal race day - no, it doesn't give you the whole picture, but it does give you an indication of who is running fast on the track at the time. It's not like I've sat here and claimed that someone is going to win all the Grands Prix of the season

Sure, I'm being defensive, and it's hard not to be automatically defensive on these forums sometimes :P
Nice last sentence - agreed!

But long stint and long stint might be very different with, say, 80kg fuel difference... If Massa's long stint was with 80kg and Rosberg has decided to brim it at 150kg... Both are 'long' stints, but neither are comparable.
It's only testing though, not racing. I don't blame people for getting a bit carried away during a Grand Prix, but going hyper during a test?! It's like a football riot during team practice!

Quote from dawguk :Earlier on in the day, I was reading that Massa is doing a long stint, and running 1m14s. Rosberg is currently doing long stints, and running 1:16s.

We know that Hamilton was running with approximately 20 laps worth of fuel. We don't know what Massa, Barri, or Rosberg were running with (nor Kobi, who has also been doing long runs).

Yesterday, Ferrari and McLaren were running with 100kg of fuel. That's a lot more than 20 laps worth! Who knows how much they were carrying for today's long runs?

We also know from Hamilton's lap times that pushing the limits isn't a high priority for these tests. Just before, Hammy was pulling 1:13s with 16 laps of fuel, when we know he can actually go faster. Just because Massa, Barri, and others were pulling 1:14s to 1:16s on their long runs, we shouldn't just assume they were all pushing for fastest laps and compare them against Hamilton's fast heavy laps.
CCCCCCOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMEEEEEE OOOOOOOONNNNN YYYYYYOOOOUUUUUUUUU ... erm ... shiny .. silver .. and ... redys / orangeys?
Macca diffuser: http://twitpic.com/110stq
Macca oil cooler: http://twitpic.com/110tr2

Liking the oil cooler idea. This might be one of the things that Whitmarsh was eluding to the other day, when he said "we've got some things I've not seen on an F1 car before".
I think it's safe to say most of the guys are doing 'heavy' laps. As that is what needs to be tested the most.. They all know they can turn up the wick on low fuel, it will be at later test dates that we will see the raw pace on low fuel. Why would they fuel light and go for it now? Doesn't make sense, since the cars are designed to hold fuel for the whole race and it hasn't been put into practice with these cars yet until today and yesterday of course.
Kobayashi is awesome!

Also, Sauber look very good so far.
Quote from dawguk :Macca oil cooler: http://twitpic.com
/110tr2

Surprisingly similar to the oil cooler location on our car for this year (a new addition). Ours, of course, won't be quite so attractively or expensively integrated, but it's nice to know that I came up with a solution that McLaren are using

and an air intake presumably for balls coolage

Well well, seems like Ferrari did a really good job this year. Of course we don´t know how much fuel the guys had doing their fastest lap times, but I am sure Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes didn´t do anything stupid (like fuel for two laps) and are all three doing at least similar testing.

I am not sure about the other teams like renault, but it seems Sauber also have a nice car this year. We have to wait to see what Redbull have done with their car and there is of course much time for improvement until the first race but until now I wouldn´t underestimate the lap times driven so far.

Edit: what is with the green colour on the McLaren? Aerodynamic testing or what?

You wouldn't wanna be following the flow-jiz cars
Quote from tristancliffe :Surprisingly similar to the oil cooler location on our car for this year (a new addition). Ours, of course, won't be quite so attractively or expensively integrated, but it's nice to know that I came up with a solution that McLaren are using

Bruce Mclaren was putting the oil cooler on top of the gearbox way back in 1967.
Yes, I know it isn't new really, but it was stated above that maybe it was one of the 'new' things that hadn't been seen before - when it fact even I, dumbass driver/mechanic, thought of it.

These F1 chaps are handsomely overpaid Anyone would think an F1 car was complicated
The beauty lies in the simple solution Tristan.

Anyone can use a hacksaw to fit something, but it won't beat the fact that you could also remove the clamps
Stefan GP are becoming quite something: Yesterday they were saying that they've shipped a car off to Bahrain, even though they aren't entered in the championship. Today they've announced that they will be testing at Portimao this month, having hired Kazuki Nakajima!
Quote from spookthehamster :Stefan GP are becoming quite something: Yesterday they were saying that they've shipped a car off to Bahrain, even though they aren't entered in the championship. Today they've announced that they will be testing at Portimao this month, having hired Kazuki Nakajima!

That's what i was about to post here too. Very impressive and commited move. I think they could get that spot, if US GP fails, which i see coming more and more closer now.
Quote from Kid222 :That's what i was about to post here too. Very impressive and commited move. I think they could get that spot, if US GP fails, which i see coming more and more closer now.

Campos will 'fail' before USF1 do. And they are both gonna fail.
Quote from BlueFlame :Campos will 'fail' before USF1 do. And they are both gonna fail.

I hope Campos doesn't fail, they seem to be quite ready and all they need is "just" money. US GP could have them, but what else i know about them? Almost nothing. Just some Lopez guy, who has no skill.
Don't think that USF1 will fail to be honest, they got money and from what I got on YouTube video's about them they're sort of the USA image into F1. To me that's a step one only makes when being 100% sure of making it to the GPs and being able to perform semi-decent on a debute year. No ?

I know nothing about Stefan GP, but seeing their site and the Bahrein dedication... bah, why not give them an extra spot. What more can a car extra on track harm aside bringing more fun and pleasure ?!
Their website is terrible IMO.

I mean come on... Was it done in M.Publisher?!

But yeah. Great dedication.

Formula One Season 2010
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG