The online racing simulator
lfs performance?
(82 posts, started )
lfs performance?
hi im new here and i have a problem with lfs z25.
right so i installed lfs only to find i cant really play it,
i mean fps is so low it near nigh impossible to play,

i know this is because i have a shitty pc but there was a stage where i turn the graphics down to the lowest setting possible ie no mirrors no lap times no dials everything set to the lowest also in the misc tab in setting i moved the sound lag slider all the way to the top i think its 20 or summat?

anyway this cut out all the crackling sound i heard before and made it possible to get a few laps in providing i used the outside view with the two front tires,
crap i know but this was as good as it got for me!

now i installed some cars and stuff and messed up the data folder like a idiot i forgot to back up the old files, so i decided to re-install lfs and get it back to normal only to find now that the lag and sound is even worse even with all the setting minimal like before? most of the time lfs is running at around 8 fps?

my pc spec is 2.8ghz p4 with 1.5ghz ram its not great i know but is this really as good as lfs can be on a system like this??

if anyone has any suggestions as to how i might be able to increase lfs performance even just a few fps will be a great help?

also i read somewhere that by downloading something for lfs you can get a increase in fps but i wounder how much truth is in it??

thanx in advance HANK
#2 - senn
z25 isn't the latest version, Z28 is.

Also LFS uses a lot of CPU time, and yours is extremely old. so thats probably the best you will get.
#3 - garph
Magic beans?

.....it should at least run LFS a bit better than that, what grahics card to you have? You could trying giving your system a good clean up, not with a hover! I mean running spyware, anti-virus, clean up software, defrag (meh, I know) loads of stuff.

Obviously make sure you're not running anything else, MSN and the like, will cost you a few FPS.
yeh i kinda know ma pc is old n crap but yes i thought it would be able to handle it a lil better than this, also my graphics card is intergrated like on the motherboard!

i know this aint a great setup but its frustrating as hell considering i was playing it just days ago before the re-install?

would z28 be any different i wonder? maybe worse i dunno? oh and i always try to keep things minimal when running lfs most of the time i dissconect from the web entirely. defrag yesterday along with a disk cleanup but to no avail?

might just re-install again see what happens, what sort of systems r you lot running and how many fps r u getting??

cheers for the suggestions
#5 - garph
Intergrated graphics...ouch.

Can't remember about the change log but as the z'ds go up assume so does the usage requirments. From what you've been saying it wouldn't take much to tip your system over the edge.

The important bits of mine that will make a difference to LFS FPS, Intel e6750 (2.66ghz) and a 8800GS graphics card, everything maxed out and no FPS isssues at all.
#6 - senn
1.8ghz dual core intel
6gb ram
XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
Windows Vista 32bit

this system is old, it can run LFS fine as long as there isn't 20ai on the screen at one time, but then the CPU starts to struggle. I'm looking at upgrading later in the year.

What's hurting you the most is a slow CPU (being as LFS does a lot of physics calculations) and integrated graphics card. They aren't really intended for gaming.
right then i need a beefy quad core with like a million ram

i get the feeling that my pc would make a better bbq than anythink else
whos for a hotdog then?
#8 - garph
Quote from hankevans83 :right then i need a beefy quad core with like a million ram

i get the feeling that my pc would make a better bbq than anythink else
whos for a hotdog then?

No. LFS doesn't make use of multi-cores. With the newer CPU's the architecture makes them run things better, don't use the ghz's as a performance comparison marker (like you could in the good old days). And RAM really won't help at all with FPS, thats more for load times.

You just need a newer system, nothing special at all.
holy shieeet! i know nothing about pc's n stuff
think i might get a snes instead then

only kidding think im gonna go for an upgrade, i aint been playing lfs long but even at 8fps its in my opinion better than forza and gt5, im definitely a simulation sort a guy and i have a nice slot in my life lfs
Quote from hankevans83 :holy shieeet! i know nothing about pc's n stuff
think i might get a snes instead then

only kidding think im gonna go for an upgrade, i aint been playing lfs long but even at 8fps its in my opinion better than forza and gt5, im definitely a simulation sort a guy and i have a nice slot in my life lfs

Your only bottleneck for the moment is the GFX (graphics card)... I have a similar PC at home and the difference is the my CPU is !!slower!! (2.4 GHz P4 ) but i have an old 7600 gt and im running 30 - 40 FPS w average graphics... So if you're going for a cheap upgrade just to run the game... get a dedicated GFX... otherwise... go all the way
ok look at this, i have a gigabyte ga-8ld533 mainboard right, and this is probably going to be my stupidest question yet but this board dont look like it can house a gfx card? at least not one iv seen before all three slots r like the same length and shape,

like i said i aint the pc man, but i have two old gfx cards lying around somewhere from a pc i butchered a while ago both are different kinda slot types but not like this?

sorry i cant post pics n stuff atm but i wonder if anyone can shed any light on it??
A quick googling tells me that you MB doesn't have any AGP or PCI-Express slot, which leaves you with no real upgrade possibilities. If you're in a desperate need of playing LFS, you might get a PCI graphics card, but it definitely wouldn't be worth the money. Maybe a fresh windows install could give you some more fps, especially if you haven't reinstalled windows for like two years or more.

EDIT: Beaten by Garph...
super s*hit then
You could get LFS to run, much better, for not a lot of £ is you wanted. Not sure what the best PCI card would be tho.
this is better garph!

temporary solutions! i like this.

ok last chance for this piece of junk,
i just blew the webs......n maybe some bugs off this old thing ati 7000 64m ddr w/tv, can i slap this in????
No, looks like thats AGP. You need PCI (NOT PCI-E).
BONFIRE!!! im now on my mobile phone

ok this confirms it my pc is useless!! thanx again ppl
bloody good sim u lot are smashin!

c u in the near future
ok so im looking for an upgrade on my pc, well a whole new one actually but as iv mentioned before im not too clued up on pcs and im wondering if anyone would point me in the right direction?

i want this pc purley for lfs well gaming to be honest but i dont want anything crazy like for £1000 just summat that will run lfs at reasonable fps, also im looking for suggestions on a gfx that will handle 3 screens possibly 4.

thanx again hank!
My sugestion is: if you have to spend money, spend it wiselly and in good stuff.

Don't go for that just because it's cheaper. And don't choose that one because it's the most expensive, it is awesome, beautifull looks, extreme performance and washes your dog in the mean time.

Get some specialized opinion and think what you REALLY want in a PC. "Play LFS" is a really short reason to spend such a lot of money...
well this is the thing u see i dont wanna spend loads i just want a deccent pc for once i have around £500 so i was just wondering what is best for the sorta dough i have soz im a pc nooob
Hi Hank.

I have used overclockers for years the provide a very good service and if you buy a PC from them they will build and ship normally well within a week.

I wouldn't advise you to get an "overclocked" PC because things are more likely to go wrong but they make good PC's and will advise you on the phone too

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43

SD.
Quote from hankevans83 :yeh i kinda know ma pc is old n crap but yes i thought it would be able to handle it a lil better than this, also my graphics card is intergrated like on the motherboard!

I think here is your problem.
I have around the same setup like yours.
P4 3.0GHz
1GiB RAM
and an x600 ATI graphics card.
It's not the best, not the worst either. I had problems with FPS too, my problem was with the ATI CCC, where I set the anti-aliasing and all to the max and it was squeezing around 20-22FPS on average, when I was alone, no impact when racing with 10 other players online.
Then I reduced the settings in the ATI CCC to absolute minimum(or use application settings option), set everything to the highest point in LFS(except anti-aliasing, that's only 2x I think or even none, would have to check) and now I'm getting about 50-55FPS on average with a full "demo pack" on the road.
Just get some cheap graphics and you're ok.
ok so what is ati ccc, gfx? how do i find this anti-aliasing option, like what tab in lfs? or is this gfx setup option?

suppose i aint gonne have this option whith intergrated graphics?

does anyone know what would be a good choice duo core, cpu and gfx to handle lfs at an averege fps whilst looking nice?

gonna buy summayt soon just dont know where to start??????

lfs performance?
(82 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG