The online racing simulator
lfs performance?
(82 posts, started )
Quote from hankevans83 :ok so what is ati ccc, gfx? how do i find this anti-aliasing option, like what tab in lfs? or is this gfx setup option?

suppose i aint gonne have this option whith intergrated graphics?

does anyone know what would be a good choice duo core, cpu and gfx to handle lfs at an averege fps whilst looking nice?

gonna buy summayt soon just dont know where to start??????

ATI CCC is the ATI Catalist control center for ATI graphics cards. In it you can override some graphics options for the applications(games to be more exact).

If you're not doing much offline, AI races, then your CPU is more then enough, because the CPU needs to calculate only your car.
All you're missing is a grpahics cards. If for now you're on a low budget, just get some dedicated graphics card and you're good for online races.
thanks for clearing up the ati ccc thingy

honestly i aint gonna bother upgrading this old filing cabinet pc. im getting a new system in a matter of days no matter what!!

i did hope someone could rather help me with suggestions/recomendations??
so i aint buying blind??

yeah yeah sure i could spend 3 weeks googling endless forums baffled with all sorts of computer jargon? to come up with what i need to know, or i could ask the good ppl who bash the game????sorry simulator
ok i got it....howbout ome ppl post there spec if there runnig a pc that is valued at around £500 (just the base) i dont mind building it myself!

like ram,cpu's,gfx ermmm thats it right???
pretty simple!

pls anyhelp?

cheers
If I were you, for 500 pounds or thats roughly the same as 650€ I'd get an AMD Athlon 2 X4 630, 2.8GHz, AM3
at least 3GiB RAM
and some mid-range gfx, pick one:
GF 9600GT
ATI HD 4670
ATI HD 3850
GF GT240
ATI HD 4670

Neither of those are the top on the market, but all of them will do a pretty damn good job in running LFS and some other gmaes, that's for sure.
Quote from xfirestorm :If I were you, for 500 pounds or thats roughly the same as 650€ I'd get an AMD Athlon 2 X4 630, 2.8GHz, AM3
at least 3GiB RAM
GF 9600GT
ATI HD 4670
ATI HD 3850
GF GT240
ATI HD 4670

Neither of those are the top on the market, but all of them will do a pretty damn good job in running LFS and some other gmaes, that's for sure.

NICE ONE BUD!!

exactly what i was hoping for ill look into that
Quote from xfirestorm :If I were you, for 500 pounds or thats roughly the same as 650€ I'd get an AMD Athlon 2 X4 630, 2.8GHz, AM3
at least 3GiB RAM
GF 9600GT
ATI HD 4670
ATI HD 3850
GF GT240
ATI HD 4670

im stupid..... but these things , is this quad core?? surley not, like 4 cpu's each 2.8ghz? ive seen these mean machines around for strong dough ££££, if its a single cpu then why so slow my p4 is better @ 3.2ghz aint it?

im missing summat here aint i ?
Quote from xfirestorm :AMD Athlon 2 X4 630, 2.8GHz

Each core runs at 2.8GHz, making a total of 11,2GHZ (even though LFS will use only 2.8)
at least 3GiB RAM
GF 9600GT
ATI HD 4670
ATI HD 3850
GF GT240
ATI HD 4670

our survey said..... >< nope.

AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 550 ... ack Edition (Socket AM3) - £71.99 inc VAT
Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AMD 770 ... -Express DDR2 Motherboard - £62.99 inc VAT
OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 Dual Channel Series - £79.99 inc VAT
Point Of View GeForce 9800 GT ... PCI-Express Graphics Card - £76.99 inc VAT
Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM - £52.99 inc VAT
LG GH22LS50 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter Lightscribe Drive - £20.99 inc VAT
OCZ StealthXStream 500w Silent Power Supply - £48.99 inc VAT
Asus TM-261 Case - Black/Silver - £26.56 inc VAT
ViewSonic VA2213w 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - £111.99 inc VAT

total (without delivery): £499.09
WOW! thanx for this

all for £500 i dont even need a lcd monitor im allready using 32 inch lcd tv as a monitor so save a hundred squidz there

ok next question, say i buy this setup "which i could do this week" fresh windows xp install slimed down running nothing but lfs , how would this perform ie graphics quality? would i be able to run lfs in high res, all the texures and stuff on high?

also what sort of fps might i expect to see with mirrors on, guages real/vituall,dry sky, etc etc

sorry for all the questions but i aint got money to get this wrong, this pc/ lfs player is probably be with me for at least a year or two.

HANK!
that is more or less the same system i have. at the back of a 32 car grid i get about 45fps. this then climbs up to v-sync (60fps) by about the end of T1. with v-sync switched off, i cruise up into the 100+ fps zone but there is no point going above your monitors refresh rate (60hz=60fps).
i have everything turned up to max in the game. (see pic)
for the extra £100 saved. you could use it to beef up the graphics a bit. but the 9800GT should do you for 12-18months before you'll feel like upgrading it.
or you could use the money to get a good wheel.
Attached images
lfs_00000002.jpg
Quote from dadge :that is more or less the same system i have. at the back of a 32 car grid i get about 45fps. this then climbs up to v-sync (60fps) by about the end of T1. with v-sync switched off, i cruise up into the 100+ fps zone but there is no point going above your monitors refresh rate (60hz=60fps).
for the extra £100 saved. you could use it to beef up the graphics a bit. but the 9800GT should do you for 12-18months before you'll feel like upgrading it.

this is verry good to hear

man i aint never seen fps above 20, lol
60 fps is great for me bud

oh and the wheel is on its way regardless coming in the form of g27 wheel/pedals with possible act labs h shifter? i dunno yet abount the shifter xbox pad just dont cut the mustard!!

gonna have a good look into gfx

thanks
Why a G27? buy a G25. yes there's less buttons but you're getting more or less the same wheel. yes the gearing is different but the gearing in the G25 is not goign to stop your chances of winning a race or 3. and it's a hell of alot cheaper.
Quote from dadge :Why a G27? buy a G25. yes there's less buttons but you're getting more or less the same wheel. yes the gearing is different but the gearing in the G25 is not goign to stop your chances of winning a race or 3. and it's a hell of alot cheaper.

yeah tbh mate its probably more likley its gonna be g25, is the gear thing much better on the g27 eg: quieter? more reliable? tho i havent heard of many problems with the old gear system failing???
Quote from dadge :(60hz=60fps).

Don't your eyes hurt at that refresh rate? O.O

And my survey says yes. Buying a new computer does not mean you need to buy a new monitor, so drop the display and add some more juice to that CPU power. Surely it wont help LFS, but it will help with other things, unless you're using your computers only as gaming platforms.(no not web browsing)
Quote from xfirestorm :Don't your eyes hurt at that refresh rate? O.O

Only on CRT monitors. Many LCD monitors can't even go above 60hz, but even so there is absolutely no "flickering" like you get with CRT monitors.
Quote from xfirestorm :Don't your eyes hurt at that refresh rate? O.O

And my survey says yes. Buying a new computer does not mean you need to buy a new monitor, so drop the display and add some more juice to that CPU power. Surely it wont help LFS, but it will help with other things, unless you're using your computers only as gaming platforms.(no not web browsing)

yeah, we covered that bit...
Quote from hankevans83 :

all for £500 i dont even need a lcd monitor im allready using 32 inch lcd tv as a monitor so save a hundred squidz there

the CPU is fine. it's got 4 cores with two switched off. combine it with the right motherboard (research is needed) and you can unlock those cores which means he gets a high end (AMD) quad core CPU for less than £80.
imo, it's a bit like a flies arse......hard to beat.
it also overclocks really well. i'm not much of an overclocker but i did have my 550 at 3.8Ghz running on air. and this was with a simple multiplier increase and a tiny bit of FSB. as a duel core chip, you can't get much better than the 550. it had 7mb cache which LFS just loves. and at stock settings it runs @ 3.1Ghz.
honestly, check out some reviews for the AMD phenom 550. in some tests, it's even gotten the better of some of intels big chips. i'm amazed that not as many people have purchased one (who currently have an AMD setup). they also drop straight into an AM2+ board which again would reduce upgrade price for AMD users.
Quote from obsolum :Only on CRT monitors.

I use LCD screens too, and can't stand low refresh rates, my eyes still hurt.
Quote from dadge :yeah, we covered that bit...

the CPU is fine. it's got 4 cores with two switched off. combine it with the right motherboard (research is needed) and you can unlock those cores which means he gets a high end (AMD) quad core CPU for less than £80.
imo, it's a bit like a flies arse......hard to beat.
it also overclocks really well. i'm not much of an overclocker but i did have my 550 at 3.8Ghz running on air. and this was with a simple multiplier increase and a tiny bit of FSB. as a duel core chip, you can't get much better than the 550. it had 7mb cache which LFS just loves. and at stock settings it runs @ 3.1Ghz.
honestly, check out some reviews for the AMD phenom 550. in some tests, it's even gotten the better of some of intels big chips. i'm amazed that not as many people have purchased one (who currently have an AMD setup). they also drop straight into an AM2+ board which again would reduce upgrade price for AMD users.

thanks for the info mate

this should keep me from buying a rubbish setup

ok so this new setup will be a clean install windows xp 32bit
with all the rubbish removed!
running only two programs LFS and FL8 (fruity loops) DAW. sure writting music from the recaro seat in my lfs cockpit with be fun

i have been running FL8 for many years on worse setup than mine! so i know this will not be a problem!

now this is where i could do with your help furthermore?
can someone reccomend a "medium range" gfx wich supports 3 screens?
i reallise i may have to run 1 dvi, 1 vga, one s-video or summat or other??
maybe not s-video?? it is a great advantage for me to use multiple screens within FL8, and for LFS well need i say more

or i could run 2 gfx right?
would thay need to be the same spec or can i just say litterally utalize a port on th card?

again sorry for all the questions, but i wanna get this right!

cheers
Quote from xfirestorm :I use LCD screens too, and can't stand low refresh rates, my eyes still hurt.

i have 32" lcd i use for for pc low 50hz refresh rate, but i dont really notice it in lfs, granted i struggle to see 20 fps on my current machine
i notice it hard when i connect it to the xbox tho

luckily i have an old 50" sony bravia lcd projector that i use for that
Quote from dadge :that is more or less the same system i have. at the back of a 32 car grid i get about 45fps. this then climbs up to v-sync (60fps) by about the end of T1. with v-sync switched off, i cruise up into the 100+ fps zone but there is no point going above your monitors refresh rate (60hz=60fps).

That picture is shopped, there are 2 ATC's leading!

Sorry for OT but that had to be said.
less than a second later, that all changed
Quote from hankevans83 :thanks for the info mate

this should keep me from buying a rubbish setup

ok so this new setup will be a clean install windows xp 32bit

with all the rubbish removed!

running only two programs LFS and FL8 (fruity loops) DAW. sure writting music from the recaro seat in my lfs cockpit with be fun

i have been running FL8 for many years on worse setup than mine! so i know this will not be a problem!

now this is where i could do with your help furthermore?

can someone reccomend a "medium range" gfx wich supports 3 screens?

i reallise i may have to run 1 dvi, 1 vga, one s-video or summat or other??

maybe not s-video?? it is a great advantage for me to use multiple screens within FL8, and for LFS well need i say more

or i could run 2 gfx right?

would thay need to be the same spec or can i just say litterally utalize a port on th card?

again sorry for all the questions, but i wanna get this right!

cheers

i have never had the need to use more than one monitor so i couldn't really tell you what you would need to have 3 screens running. there are users on this forum that do. there's even threads about it too. but as i said, i don't know much about multiple VDU's.
Most gfx cards nowadays have 1 VGA and one DVI output, some have 2 DVI outputs(HDMI output or not). I've never seen 3 screens on one gfx. I use 2 gfx cards with 2 DVI outputs at work to supply 3 screens.
Quote from xfirestorm :Most gfx cards nowadays have 1 VGA and one DVI output, some have 2 DVI outputs(HDMI output or not). I've never seen 3 screens on one gfx. I use 2 gfx cards with 2 DVI outputs at work to supply 3 screens.

do they have to be the same? or can i somehow just use the port from one cheap gfx and link it up to the more powerfull one ?
I have two same cards, but according to wiki(how much you trust it) they can be different.

As far as I understand this:
Quote :If a dual PCIe interface is not available or is otherwise occupied, a standard PCI graphics card can still be used to provide additional video outputs, albeit with performance trade-offs.

Unless my interpretation of this sentense is wrong.(Yep, English is my second language to those who's head can't turn left) :P
Quote from Whiskey :Each core runs at 2.8GHz, making a total of 11,2GHZ (even though LFS will use only 2.8)

I hope you're joking The number of cores do not multiply the total frequency.

lfs performance?
(82 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG