The online racing simulator
LFS runs in Virtualbox
(23 posts, started )
#1 - avih
LFS runs in Virtualbox
Tried just for the fun of it, and it works.

Here's the setup:

Host: E8400/4G/GTX260/XP32-SP3
Virtualbox: Version 3.1.2
Guest: Windows 7 Ultimate 32

Although Win7 should include DirectX by default, IIRC LFS wouldn't run, and so I've downloaded and installed the latest DirectX 9.x.

LFS would now run, but way too slow (1 fps or less). I guess it Does Direct3D in pure software due to missing proper [virtual] hardware drivers.

Virtualbox does support (if enabled) 3D acceleration via OpenGL. So OpenGL commands on the guest are redirected to the Host hardware acceleration layer. As such, OpenGL games (such as Half-Life 1) run perfectly well on this setup and in full speed (60FPS), but not so with DirectX games.

Here comes the Wine project for help. It has a translation layer that converts Direct3D to OpenGL commands, and they have precompiled binaries for windows too. If installed on this setup (guest), it then redirects the guest Direct3D commands to the guest OpenGL, which translates into the Host's OpenGL hardware accelerated layer using Virtualbox own translation layer. So it works.

I got around 10 FPS in cockpit view of an open wheeler, and around 20 FPS in wheels view. Some world textures are a bit messed, but not too bad. I didn't try to play though, just connected to an online server and watched for a while.

Here's how it looks:

Interesting
Interesting. Try VMWare if you have a license.
that's fugly, even the linux wine doesn't do that...
Quote from Ivo Georgiev :Interesting. Try VMWare if you have a license.

VMware is terrible for gaming, been there, done that.
#5 - avih
Quote from Ivo Georgiev :Interesting. Try VMWare if you have a license.

You don't need to pay for a license these days. The latest free VMware Player lets you create and manage VMs, but apparently lacks some enterprise features, although it's perfectly enough for home/testing scenarios.

However, I don't like VMware. I've used it in the past, but recent versions of Virtualbox are as good as vmware for me, and [arguably] better in their host integration (seamless/unity modes). And vbox is OSS, so VBox it is for me.

I do believe VMware has better hardware acceleration though, but I didn't try it with LFS.
It looks horrible because it doesn't run a good gpu. It doesn't support it.
Quote from bunder9999 :VMware is terrible for gaming, been there, done that.

Wrong, I am getting 90 fps in LFS which is running in VMware.
I don't know, but VirtualBox is certainly less designed for gaming than VMWare is. VMWare got it's 3d acceleration earlier than VirtualBox.

And the seamless integration... ... All the windows applications in seamless mode in a Linux host appear as one window with VirtualBox..that's horrible.
#9 - CSU1
...kinda OT:

I'e never used a VM and am curious, what % of system resources does a VM hog?...would it cripple an old machine ie. an XP box with 500mb ram 1.6GHZ using it for network analyses ???
#10 - avih
Quote from CSU1 :...kinda OT:

I'e never used a VM and am curious, what % of system resources does a VM hog?...would it cripple an old machine ie. an XP box with 500mb ram 1.6GHZ using it for network analyses ???

You define the maximum amount of RAM the VM uses. It can use much less than the max. The CPU is shared when needed, so imagine running the additional application on your host machine, it'll be similar. Overheads can be relatively low, depending on your CPU features.

Just give it a go, might be worth it.
#11 - CSU1
Quote from avih :You define the maximum amount of RAM the VM uses. It can uses much less than the max. The CPU is shared when needed, so imagine running the additional application on your host machine, it'll be similar. Overheads can be relatively low, depending on your CPU features.

Just give it a go, might be worth it.

..it's up and running now, having the ability to cap resource usage is cool - now to my master plan MUUUUUUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

*evilgrin*
Quote from CSU1 :...kinda OT:

Why don't you make second partition and install Linux or w/e you will use for network analyses there?
#13 - CSU1
Quote from Shadowww :Why don't you make second partition and install Linux or w/e you will use for network analyses there?

...About six months ago I was running nout but Linux, as I got sick to death of time integration to everyday brand name products I turned to windows...mainly because of MMC.

PFsense, I have this on CD next to me and I did query their boards some time ago with a question which was not really resolved.

I will try to run a Linux VM with PF sense installed giving the VM two(hopefully) eth local NIC's so as I can use it to supply the network, ATM I'm messing around with W7.
Uhm as far as I know VM's can only serve network to host PC.
#15 - avih
Quote from Shadowww :Uhm as far as I know VM's can only serve network to host PC.

I'm definitely not a network guru, but I think it's incorrect. The VM can take control over a specific NIC if you assign it to, and use it as it's own, or even "piggyback" your main/single NIC in a bridged connection (the VM software installs special driver into the host), at which case the router (if you have one) actually sees 2 different NICs, each with it's own MAC address, assigns each it's own IP etc, which practically results in the VM being an autonomous network entity as far as the rest of the network is concerned.
#16 - CSU1
...so this might work? :

WAN > XP(USB)---ICS---VM(WAN) > VM(WAN)---PFsense---VM(LAN) > VM(LAN) > XP(LAN) > XP(LAN) > Wireless router???

...I'm thinking what's the point now

The only reason I need to do it this way is because of the problem linked above(PFsense wont work with a USB NIC as the WAN).
#17 - avih
Quote from CSU1 :...so this might work? :

WAN > XP(USB)---ICS---VM(WAN) > VM(WAN)---PFsense---VM(LAN) > VM(LAN) > XP(LAN) > XP(LAN) > Wireless router???

...I'm thinking what's the point now

The only reason I need to do it this way is because of the problem linked above(PFsense wont work with a USB NIC as the WAN).

This probably requires a topic of it's own, but it seems a bit complex to me. Why the ICS, 2nd VM(LAN) and 2nd XP(LAN)?

Again, I'm not a network guru, but I think you can probably do with a VM most of the things that you can do with a dedicated machine on your network. Especially if you have a dedicated NIC for the VM, but possibly with bridged connection as well.

Beyond that, I usually try not creating a too complex setup, so my advice at such cased would be limited
#18 - CSU1
Quote from avih :This probably requires a topic of it's own, but it seems a bit complex to me. Why the ICS, 2nd VM(LAN) and 2nd XP(LAN)?

Again, I'm not a network guru, but I think you can probably do with a VM most of the things that you can do with a dedicated machine on your network. Especially if you have a dedicated NIC for the VM, but possibly with bridged connection as well.

Beyond that, I usually try not creating a too complex setup, so my advice at such cased would be limited

I'll try to answer when I understand a little more of this...

I installed W7 on the VM and allofa sudden through the hosts NIC it has WWW connectivity through this "Virtualbox bridged network driver" and another "virtual" NIc has been added to the hosts NIC list???

The NIC that had the virtualbox network driver does not allow settings, how do I set the sub-net of the VM to that of the host???

This is getting complicated...it's like "am I on the server.no wait.i'm on the VM remote desktop'ed into the host.no wait.I am on the hos in a VM remote desktopping back to the server. NA WAIT! VM is not even running.Where was/am I ?:juggle:
:hbomb:

Screw this I don't even need a VM...Do I?:something
Back to original topic

Few months ago I also tried LFS, but under VMware, with 3D acceleration.
E6750 @3.4GHz / Geforce GTX275 on Windows7 host and WinXP guest.

It run at around 30-ish FPS, no graphic glitches.
#20 - avih
Quote from Nick7 :Back to original topic

Few months ago I also tried LFS, but under VMware, with 3D acceleration.
E6750 @3.4GHz / Geforce GTX275 on Windows7 host and WinXP guest.

It run at around 30-ish FPS, no graphic glitches.

Actually, I've read some more about D3D in Virtualbox. It seem they actually incorporated the wineD3D solution I mentioned earlier, but in a sort of unofficial way.

After windows in installed, one still needs to install the official DirectX, but then, instead of installing wineD3D, copy the same files (possibly slightly more adapted to virtualbox) from their guest-additions CD image to the system32 folder.

Using this solution, I also got around 20-60+(!!) FPS and without graphical glitches, but at lowest visual settings and low-res graphics. Most of the time it's on 30-50 FPS. It's better, but still around 3x-10x slower than LFS running native on the same system.

But it is better

Quote from bunder9999 :that's fugly, even the linux wine doesn't do that...

In linux, through wine, LFS runs perfectly, i don't know what do you want to say.
Quote from wolfshark :In linux, through wine, LFS runs perfectly, i don't know what do you want to say.

you must be using an nvidia video card, or a really really new ati card and using the binary drivers...
Yes, i am using nvidia + nvidia binary driver

LFS runs in Virtualbox
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG