The online racing simulator
Find me a smartphone!
(105 posts, started )
Quote from Jakg :Android rocks BUT the office apps are meh compared to the Windows Mobile versions, the cameras aren't 5MP (afaik - not that MP makes any difference but still), and only the Hero supports Flash.

Out of the box... And it's still a beta version of flash...
All Android phones will support flash when Adobe releases their player.
#27 - Jakg
Quote from TagForce :Out of the box... And it's still a beta version of flash...
All Android phones will support flash when Adobe releases their player.

Adobe have been saying that for ages, but they still haven't shown anything concrete.
Moto - Droid. Im not sure on the MS Docs though. You can find an app or make it. Since it runs on Android 2.0
Quote from TiJay :

Toshiba TG01 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Al1bYmVTCA
- Some kind off Office app which exports and reads MS formats
Has Windows Office app
- At least 5MP camera with 640x480 video recording
Only 3MP but records 640x480
- GPS module
I believe it has GPS
- Browser which supports Flash player (embedded Youtube videos etc)
Supports Youtube etc

Costs £150 if you can find one in a Orange shop

Also the G1 can play Flash if u have the Hero Rom on ur phone
#30 - Jakg
CyanogenMod > Hero rom.
I saw the HTC HD2 in a shop yesterday. Really does look great and not as big as I thought it might be...... I presume that will play Flash on Opera wont it?

Also, I wonder what apps are like on the Win Mobile platform. Can't imagine they're a patch on the Apple or android stuff.... anyone any clue?
Quote from StableX :I saw the HTC HD2 in a shop yesterday. Really does look great and not as big as I thought it might be...... I presume that will play Flash on Opera wont it?

Also, I wonder what apps are like on the Win Mobile platform. Can't imagine they're a patch on the Apple or android stuff.... anyone any clue?

Imo, the apps go like this, 1. Apple, 2. Android, 3. WinMo.. I havent found many decent and useful applications for WinMo as there are for Android and AppStore, Im sure there are some great ones but I cant seem to find them
Awesome, thanks guys Based on the posts, I've narrowed it down to Toshiba TG01, Satio, N95/N900(?), and the Omnia II. I'll have a looky tonight and decide.

Btw, whoever said TV res was 520x526 was wrong- it's 720x576
Probably the best thing about Windows Mobile is the fact that because it's so mature, it's pretty freaking solid. My WinMo phone is pretty good. Things rarely crash (and if they do, they're third party applications, never the core suite on the phone), it's decently fast (even with the 500~ mhz ARM in my phone), and there's enough variety of freeware on the internet, that any fault with the phone can be replaced.

Another benefit, is the ease of developing applications. C# + WinForms = Pretty freaking easy. Even easier (for some) if you go VB.Net.

Yeah the iPhone is pretty and has lots of apps (90% of them being shit), and Android is different (although in the time I've used it, is backwards to what I'd expect). Windows Mobile isn't pretty, but it works (plus, true multitasking... like.. pretty much everything I'd normally use in a day, running at all times).

Then again, WinMo is the only thing I actually have had good experiences with from Microsoft.
Did i read that right dustin, you actually commented positively about a microsoft related product!?!?!

If i wasn't sitting down then i may well have fallen over when i read that!
Well, I look at it this way:

iPhone.. for me to switch to it, would cost me about 600$ to buy the phone (atleast on my network its HSPA+). Then there's the 70$ per month for my plan (and I get a deal on mine, rather than being nearly 90$). Plus the iPhone doesn't quite do what I want, nor can I develop small personal applications without paying 100$ per year for a dev licence. (or jailbreaking which when Apple releases an update with a cool new feature.. it all gets lost)

Android.. No 1 rom has every feature, you need like 3 different ROM's just to get a full feature set, and that's kinda.. retarded. Also, a consumer product should not require the learning of rooting and reflashing just to fix basic stuff. Not very user friendly, nor is it that pretty.

Windows Mobile, yeah it's old and ugly (although less ugly with WinMo 6.5), but it's reliable. I can do everything I want with my phone (including tethering over Wifi.. suck on that iPhone ), I can have every app under the sun running at once on my phone (althuogh I'd never do it), it runs stable as **** and if something is wrong, there's some program out there that corrects it. Although for the most part, WinMo is pretty intuitive. Plus has proper versions of Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote (whatever the latter one is ). Word can open and edit any doc or docx files, Excel open and edit xls or xlsx, and Powerpoint can VIEW (and play) any pps/ppsx.

Yeah, I know.. me preferring something Windows.. but for all intensive purposes, WinMo does what I need it to do, without having stupid technical niggles, and without any bullshit. There's a reason why companies have relyed on it for ****ing forever.
#37 - Jakg
Why do you *need* root to use an Android phone? I rooted mine to make it faster / get tethering, but I wouldn't say you *need* it.

Plus (besides Flash) CyanogenMod has pretty much all the features I think I could ever need...
Exactly, you need to root your phone to gain a pretty wicked (and should be core feature with smart phones). Mine has the ability (from a fresh, hard reset) for me to tether over Wifi, USB, Bluetooth and choose if I wanna use my Data connection (UNLIMITED FTW!) or Modem (****ING MILLION DOLLARS PER MINUTE).

Also, who needs flash.. most of my mobile browsing is when I'm in a store looking quickly for "WILL THIS WORK WITH ____" or "How much money do I have"... I don't think I need to watch Youtube (although there's an app for that in my ROM for my phone, that plays the mp4 versions) on the go.
Right, I'm getting an Omnia II The other phones on the list I made were all brilliant but too expensive and I'm not too convinced about the browsing or MSN Messenger capabilities of the N95...

And tethering is a vital feature for me so it seems WinMo is the best choice. Thanks for your suggestions
TiJay.. some carriers will not have tethering stuff in it (actually missing the ipnat.dll in the Windows directory)... Something you might be careful about. Flashing a custom ROM is best for adding the IPNat stuff, and HTC phones are the best supported for flashing.

Not to mention the HTC phones are pretty.

And that Omnia II.. that home screen actually looks to have made WinMo worse...
The one I'm getting will be unlocked/SIM free but I haven't yet had a phone that couldn't tether- most of them come with PC software for doing so. Hopefully this won't be a problem. And even if it can't tether, I can always put the SIM in my current Viewty and use that.

Appreciate the heads up though.

By the way, is it possible to switch between the standard WinMo desktop and the "pretty" manufacturer UI on these things?
Yeah, If you go Start -> Settings -> Today.. just de-tick the Samsung whatever that's ticked, and tick whatever today screen options you'd like. If you have the choice, I'd go with "Windows Default".. it's the new 6.5 style menu, and it's better than the old Today screen. Still has nothing on TouchFlo though IMO.

The phone you're getting, is it bought from a carrier, or direct? If it's direct, chances are it'll still have the needed dll's for ICS. I hope it does, as Tethering is sweet (Although I love HTC's WiFi Internet Sharing app, makes it stupidly easy).

http://forum.xda-developers.co ... p=4170499&postcount=1 -- That's the HTC app.. worth giving it a shot atleast to try.
Im quite happy with my N95 (mk1) myself, stick an 8gb mem card in there and its plenty good enough storage wise, good camera, the video recording on it seems better than newer and more expensive phones that various mates have got, loads of downloadable apps if i want them, the only downside is the shitty battery life on them, plus the symbian software does occasionally go a bit wobbly and will freeze the phone up but that has only happened to me maybe 5 times in the year or so that i have owned 2 of them.
Dan: Yeah, the N95 looks brilliant, can you tell me what the embedded Flash capabilities for YouTube etc are like, and is there an official MSN Messenger app available?

Dawesdust: It'll be from a reseller of unlocked phones so the firmware will already be modified in some way, hopefully should be tether-able.
That's the thing you haffto watch out for. Over here atleast, it's common for carriers to take out the needed things out of the stock ROM to disable tethering. I had to flash my own ROM to add Tethering (although the main intent was to update to WinMo 6.5 from 6.1).
Well youtube worked flawlessly straight away for me without any additional downloads, just watch out for your data allowance though, as YT on PAYG is NOT cheap!

As for MSN, as far as i remember it does work, but its been ages since i really used it TBH.
I have the N95 and it is amazing. I have the MK1 and payed 25GBP (my dad took out a contract with 3 and cancelled it after a month due to the fact the service was poor. As a consolation, they let him keep the phone for no extra charge) for it . The web browsing is very good, and it will connect via Wi-Fi to a wireless router. Here is a picture of me on YouTube with it. The screen is crystal clear. I'm watching huber7's South Park Mac vs. PC.
Attached images
PICT0789.JPG
PICT0788.JPG
lg km 900 Arena , 5mp cam
Thanks for the feedback on the N95... Definitely worth thinking about
Why not an N96 then?.. 16GB storage, Satnav, pdf, Youtube and (maybe) office viewer apps already built in.... Runs fine now the latest update is out.... Even comes with an episode of Top gear lol...

Find me a smartphone!
(105 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG