The online racing simulator
Virtual PC
(28 posts, started )
Virtual PC
does anyone here use Virtual PC? i recently heard of it, and i think it is very cool. i actually posted this thread in my win98!
Attached images
Windows 98.jpg
Using it on my school for the MS DOS & Windows server lessons, pretty cool to have. I'm also wondering if this could allow you to run a dedicated LFS host on a computer, while at the same time being able to just play LFS on say, your own server.
IMO VMware Workstation or VMware Player are much much better.
#4 - majod
using virtualbox for few years for testing and school...
I use the XP Mode that is with Windows 7 (separatly downloaded, Although maybe included in later builds)
Allows you to use a licenced version of XP
Although its just VirtualPC and you can install your own OS onto it aswell...
I use it

Now, how to (re)install an OS on it? I assume that you can get preinstalled HD images?
Not sure about the others (I imagine they're the same), but VirtualBox lets you use the CD drive of the host machine, and you just install the OS as normal.
hmm

So I can use my (licensed) XP for instance?

EDIT: Balls'd it up

Created a new virtual machine, it's stuck loading at DHCP

EDIT 2: Help! Select Proper Boot Device?!
I don't have a license for VMWare, and I use VirtualBox. It's great. What it lacks is support for real hard disks accessible from the guest OS. But maybe that's for safety reasons.. because it's easy to screw up your system if you try to boot it from VM while you are actually running it as a host OS, and it's also pretty easy to screw up your partitions that way.

Sometimes I use QEMU.. not bad when configured right.

However, I run LFS using Wine - I haven't tried with Virtualbox.

I only use virtualization for testing purposes, because I'm developing a Linux distro.

BTW, If someone is interested in old Windows-es, you can run Windows 3.0 in DOSBox. It's pretty easy. You can also run it from FreeDOS. That's also pretty easy.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :hmm

Make sure you've set up the virtual HD when you set up the VM, and set it as the boot device.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :hmm

The easiest way is to make an ISO image of you original Windows CD/DVD, and keep it on your host PC. Then, simply add a virtual CD-Rom drive to your virtual machine, pointing to that ISO. Make sur the virtual machine is set to boot to the CD before the hard drive or network (that'll be the DHCP you mentioned, looking to a PXE server), and it'll start up and install from your disk. Then all you need to do is put in your genuine serial number, and it should activate the same way as a normal PC would...
Quote from Ivo Georgiev :I don't have a license for VMWare, and I use VirtualBox.

VMware Player is completely free, and not-so-long-ago released version has ability to create new virtual machines too

Also it has proper portforwarding etc
All on Xp with 1GB ram...

Attached images
desks.JPG
I use DOS, XP and Fedora for school.
Quote from DanielC :The easiest way is to make an ISO image of you original Windows CD/DVD, and keep it on your host PC. Then, simply add a virtual CD-Rom drive to your virtual machine, pointing to that ISO. Make sur the virtual machine is set to boot to the CD before the hard drive or network (that'll be the DHCP you mentioned, looking to a PXE server), and it'll start up and install from your disk. Then all you need to do is put in your genuine serial number, and it should activate the same way as a normal PC would...

Ty

98 hangs on install tho
Quote from Crashgate3 :Not sure about the others (I imagine they're the same), but VirtualBox lets you use the CD drive of the host machine, and you just install the OS as normal.

Yeah, that's the same thing for the Windows 7 Virtual PC that comes with the Ultimate version. Just put a CD on the drive or choose a .iso image of the OS disc and boot up the Virtual PC, it'll install correctly. I've installed Ubuntu on Microsoft Windows Virtual PC once. Works wonderfully, the only problem is I can't figure out how to make the mouse work on it.

Keyboard is fine, though.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :98 hangs on install tho

VMware Player/Workstation, VirtualBox, Virtual PC?
Quote from Velociround :Works wonderfully, the only problem is I can't figure out how to make the mouse work on it.

By setting mouse type to Microsoft PS2 mouse in ubuntu.

If doesn't works, get VMware Player, it's much faster than VirtualPC
VirtualPC 2007, using an .iso made of my CD

Got a link for VMWare?

EDIT: VMWare doesn't let you create virtual machines?
Quote from DieKolkrabe :EDIT: VMWare doesn't let you create virtual machines?

Newest version does. Make sure you get it off oficial site, not out of thepiratebay etc
I got 2.5.3 :S
Newest is 3.0.

It's free.

Here's installer for you (rehosted because you need to register at official site in order to download) (original, downloaded from official site 5 mins ago): http://www.multiupload.com/0PARIU8L12
TY

I registered

No e-mail
Bump

Am a n00b

Anyone walk me through installing 98SE on VMware?
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Bump

Am a n00b

Anyone walk me through installing 98SE on VMware?

Try only 32MB ram on a 512MB-1GB vhd, Also i think turning off acpi/power settings for the vm might help....

Also how are u booting the win98 install? Does the iso boot? I thought u had to use a boot disk to get it working.....

Virtual PC
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG