The online racing simulator
Beware - Scawen Impersonater
(49 posts, started )
Quote from SilverArrows77 :Ill trade you rFactor for the magical rock if you still have it please pm me and we can work it out.

Quote from jaykay3000 :damn. magical rock? i'll trade 5 normal rocks for 1 magical.

Please! I want the super powers.

I have magical salt at home too...
Im joking but there actually are quite a few people in Italy that,thanks to their stupidity,bought some salt and a "magical amulet" for no less than 10000€ in total...
Well,actually there's people believing in what the Horoscope tells them
Quote from IlGuercio :Being stupid is not an excuse.
If i told you to pay me 1000000£ for a "magical" rock and you did then who's the stupid?

Not an excuse for what? You're acting as if the victims of these things are the ones in the wrong!
In a way, they are! I'm not saying that the other side is right either - doing the impersonation (in this case) is obviously the greater crime, but that's not to say the eejits that fall for it aren't a little bit to blame for their own misfortune.
Quote from tristancliffe :In a way, they are! I'm not saying that the other side is right either - doing the impersonation (in this case) is obviously the greater crime, but that's not to say the eejits that fall for it aren't a little bit to blame for their own misfortune.

I'm not denying that someone that falls into a very poorly laid trap is a fool, but their naivety or foolishness when it comes to their own interests is quite far removed from the maliciousness preying on the "weak" of the people that perpetrate these crimes. Old ladies get scammed regularly, they get overcharged by shoddy workmen. Do they deserve for it to happen because they're not quite bright enough to see it happening, are they in the wrong "in a way"?

(Of course not)- I'll answer that for you. I know you're basically just saying that if you get scammed like this you're a thicko and it's the only way you'll learn, and you're probably right, but there's an undertone in this thread of tolerance of these e-muggers somehow because they only hit the ones daft enough to fall into their trap and that somehow it's worse in an ethical sense to be seen as the victim (because it means you're unintelligent, inexperienced or naive) than the con-man, who is the real scum.

If the parties in this matter are worthy of discussion, surely we should be talking about how the criminal is a lowlife scum coward, and not how the victims are just planks
Quote from sinbad :Not an excuse for what? You're acting as if the victims of these things are the ones in the wrong!

They are...
If i told you that i have this "magical" rock and i sell it to you for just 1000000£ who's the moron?
Im not the moron,because im making money out of people stupidity...
Think harder,this is just another excuse to play the victim every time they get theirself a pole up their ass...
I don't care if people are stupid to this point,as i said they can believe to the horoscope for what its worth.I simply think that in 2009 certain things shouldn't even be considered but still people can surprise me and act like they had a medieval way of thinking.
But,seriously,you can't do anything but laugh in front of those people.
Darwin said that the smartest people survive,in a certain way,i hope he's right,we might get to a point in history where stupidity will no more be existent.
Quote from IlGuercio :They are...
Im not the moron,because im making money out of people stupidity...

Wow. Nice people here
Quote from Ger Roady :Wow. Nice people here

At least im not in the "Im a stupid,i let you fool me in any possible way" group.
Internet rules are well known and clear:if you share your personal data(passwords,numbers,etcetera)with people you don't know,then you DESERVE to be called moron.
There's no other way to define such a person,excusing yourself with a "I didn't know that" will just make you look more stupid,not smarter.
According to some people i could murder someone and expect nothing will happen just because i said i didn't know murdering was a crime
Quote from sinbad :I'm not denying that someone that falls into a very poorly laid trap is a fool, but their naivety or foolishness when it comes to their own interests is quite far removed from the maliciousness preying on the "weak" of the people that perpetrate these crimes. Old ladies get scammed regularly, they get overcharged by shoddy workmen. Do they deserve for it to happen because they're not quite bright enough to see it happening, are they in the wrong "in a way"?

(Of course not)- I'll answer that for you. I know you're basically just saying that if you get scammed like this you're a thicko and it's the only way you'll learn, and you're probably right, but there's an undertone in this thread of tolerance of these e-muggers somehow because they only hit the ones daft enough to fall into their trap and that somehow it's worse in an ethical sense to be seen as the victim (because it means you're unintelligent, inexperienced or naive) than the con-man, who is the real scum.

If the parties in this matter are worthy of discussion, surely we should be talking about how the criminal is a lowlife scum coward, and not how the victims are just planks

Of course I agree (to an extent). But I do think there is a difference between an old lady getting scammed by an ugly 'roofing contractor' because she was of an era where even the nasties were relatively fair and decent (relatively!), and someone playing a niche computer sim, who almost certainly has a bit of a clue about the age of computing. Not necessarily computer literate, but probably aware of the computing world - of viruses, of internet banking fraud, of ID theft (i.e. impersonating someone)...

And I don't think everyone should be paranoid, or trust no-one - that would be a silly reaction. But there is vigilence, and letting someone take credit card details with a random email account.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Wait guise, are you saying I shouldn't have sent him my credit card details? He said he'd send me S3 into my e-mail right after!

Lmfao!! that cracked me up!
Quote from tristancliffe :In a way, they are! I'm not saying that the other side is right either - doing the impersonation (in this case) is obviously the greater crime, but that's not to say the eejits that fall for it aren't a little bit to blame for their own misfortune.

they are but some things are just gonan happen, does that not mean you help people ?

you get further in life being nice doing b/s like this then you do being an arsehole about the situation in fairness.

if you get caught, sorry but dont let it happen again, if not keep it that way ?
I think some of you need to get caught out just to be taught a lesson.

I'm by all accounts a computer expert, i've been coding software since I was in nappies and I was online on the predecessors to the internet.

Yet even I, as veteran as I am, >could< be caught out. It hasn't happened yet, but it did come very close once and to all things it was a simple phising email.

I was using the paypal site at the time, and I was expecting an email from them. I received an email from paypal and clicked the link, where it asked me my username and password.

I was already a bit frustrated, so I typed in what I thought was my login... You see, luckily for me I didn't know my username and password, and that's actually the email I was expecting. It was only after some frustrated attempts at typing in the wrong password that the penny dropped and I checked the subdomain of the site i'd been taken too, and then properly read the email allegedly from paypal...

It doesn't matter who you are or how good you think you are, you CAN be caught off guard, and nobody 'deserves' that.

EDIT: I also agree with Sinbad's point. The argument that the victim is at fault is the same logic (although far less severity) that has victims of rape blamed because they dressed in a short skirt and the aggressor was powerless to do anything but sexually assault her. Different crime, same logic. Victims are not at fault, that kind of Darwinian attitude doesn't hold merit (and infact would likely disgust Darwin himself).
Phishing (the kind you could fall for) is usually not quite as obvious though, I mean @aol.com? Seriously?
That said, it's actually quite easy to fake the address, so those of you who think @lfs.com/net has to be legit: NO, it does not! Scavier will NEVER ask for your login credentials!
I've never understood why people fall for this kind of thing, irrelevant of whether you think to check the domain of the sent email.

Whose system sends your password to you? Who do you speak to when you want to reset your password? Why would they need to ask you for anything when they have the ability to remove it and/or change it at will?

Some people don't engage their brains nearly enough.
Quote from Dajmin :Whose system sends your password to you? Who do you speak to when you want to reset your password? Why would they need to ask you for anything when they have the ability to remove it and/or change it at will?

Some people don't engage their brains nearly enough.

Right, but phishing (the clever kind) is a bit different because they don't really ask for it, instead they tell you to review something or check your account details or something like that and place a convinient link within the email.
Ironically, telling you there might have been a phishing attempt and you should check quickly is actually likely to work.
If someone did hack ur account would the devs give u the server logs so you could hack/get the law onto them?....
I doubt it, but they'd likely reset your account with a kick in the face for being a dumbass.
Or maybe they wouldn't, since they're not obliged to - you're volunteering your info, after all.
In fact, since that could be considered account sharing, they'd also be within their rights to ban you, although I doubt that would happen
So its kinda like how 141 and BT protects the criminals from the victims?....

:sleep1:
Attached images
7e6fdfa723104557a273f31411e94065.0.jpg
Quote from IlGuercio :According to some people i could murder someone and expect nothing will happen just because i said i didn't know murdering was a crime

What kind of f*cked up comparison is that?

To be a victim of a scam you have to be naive/believe in the good of people.

To be a murder you would have to have quite the opposite (more negative) attributes, I would think.
Hey there! I heared this was the place to find some good boobies, right?

*looks around*

Hmm, wrong place :dunce:
We have his email address. Just spam him with requests for the Sirocco and a track editor, and bitching about every single new addition. Then he'd *really* know what it was like to be Scawen
#47 - senn
good idea, might fire up my spam catcher account later lol
Quote from IlGuercio :Being stupid is not an excuse.
If i told you to pay me 1000000£ for a "magical" rock and you did then who's the stupid?

I have a magic stick, if someone blows into it long enough, "stuff" comes out
Quote from The Very End :Hey there! I heared this was the place to find some good boobies, right?

*looks around*

Hmm, wrong place :dunce:

JUst flicked thru thread ... you came to the right place .. lots of tits here m8

fill yer boots

Beware - Scawen Impersonater
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG