The online racing simulator
LFS installer package test
(213 posts, closed, started )
installs works and uninstalls just fine on windows xp x64
was using an admin account might try in a bit with a user account

i still think the shortcut and file associations should be left unchecked by default

Quote from franky500 :like victor im used to things being in APPDATA or mydocs for the savegames / user files / configs etc..

which imho is a horrible locations
its cryptic
its a complete mess
its spaced out across several app data folders all of which often contain important data
and worst of all its a hidden folder

im all for the self contained application folder paradigm
while it pains me to say this apple has done it perfectly with apps completely self contained in a single dmg file that can be deleted and thus uninstalled or installed extremely easily
while windows doesnt provide that sort of functionality a self contained folder is at least the closest thing to it

i run all of my apps that generate data thats worth keeping in self contained mode (at least the ones that allow me to eg miranda)

Quote from franky500 :Update - The uninstaller removes all of the files and links as expected, but seems to leave the directory folder.

mine got deleted just fine
more so it got deleted while i still had it open (started the uninstaller from the folder)
which confused explorer quite a bit

Quote from J.B. :And it also seems to be that the program files are more protected in terms of permissions than the user files, although obviously user files are far more valuable to users as they are not easily replacable.

its the good old unix way of thinking which might work if it were put into place a bit more consistently (and if it werent a almost 40 year old way of thinking that imho is past its time in many ways)

the reason why user files arent as protected is simply because those are the files you want to work on
noone wants to type in an admin password just to delete or modify his own files
programs however should only be installed and modified by the operators in a multiuser system
trouble is the whole idea makes no sense whatsoever in a home computer desktop environment which is why eg ubuntu doesnt have the root account enabled by default
I have all of my games (all of them) installed on D:\Games (basically, root\Games). I think it's the best place to put it, so it won't have problems with UAC and, for me, it makes a nice division between Programs, User files and Games, which is why I have structured my files that way. All of my programs go to Program Files, user files goes to either windows users' folders or several other folders I've made on the HDD for that purpose, and games are only installed on the Games folder. Also, I've put my LFS in that folder already, but since it doesn't have a proper installer I've made my own structure of files with several versions of LFS inside the D:\Games\Live for Speed folder.

Just tried the installer, it works well, I have no problems with it, but I have a suggestion. Try using that Windows Vista/7 feature of the "Games" (Games Explorer) link on Start > Games
http://www.sevenforums.com/tut ... orer-shortcut-create.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/tut ... rer-folder-add-games.html

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention, running Windows 7 RC Ultimate 32bits
But I've also tried and it works well on Windows XP Professional 32bits
#54 - Jakg
Please *please* keep the old ZIP download in place as well - I dont use UAC and like the fact everything for LFS, is in the LFS folder.

I HATE the fact that for some odd and entirely unknown reason, everything puts all it's shit in "My Documents". Visio, for example, only lets you put saved stencils there. WTH!
Quote from Jakg :Please *please* keep the old ZIP download in place as well - I dont use UAC and like the fact everything for LFS, is in the LFS folder.

I HATE the fact that for some odd and entirely unknown reason, everything puts all it's shit in "My Documents". Visio, for example, only lets you put saved stencils there. WTH!

i bet you havent used the installer yet...
I get this on Windows XP SP2 64 bit. Other than that, install went well and game works Also tried the file you attached Victor and says "XP x64"
Attached images
Untitled-1.jpg
Quote from arco :The program itself can go into Program Files, but userdata should not. In Vista and 7 the Program Files directory is protected from writing new files in it. I.e. if you install LFS there, and then go about to copy setups, replays etc to the LFS data folder, you will get permission denied.

Well 90% of LFS is userdata (I bet nobody here has all stock dds files etc).

The 9% are vob's and unmodificable files.

The 1% is LFS.exe.
Quote from Shadowww :Well 90% of LFS is userdata (I bet nobody here has all stock dds files etc)

Hi.
no problems with Windows 7 Ultimate
Quote from Velociround :Just tried the installer, it works well, I have no problems with it, but I have a suggestion. Try using that Windows Vista/7 feature of the "Games" (Games Explorer) link on Start > Games
http://www.sevenforums.com/tut ... orer-shortcut-create.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/tut ... rer-folder-add-games.html

Yeah I had a look at that, but it requires LFS to have some additional resource files. So at this point it's not really possible.

Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Can i still install with it to program files?

sure you can install it anywhere you want.
Win7 x64

dbl click installer exe (using an administrator account)
LFS install default settings (desktop&menu icons + associations)
Installed to d:\games\live for speed
(Clicked computer->d:\ it chose d:\live for speed, changed the string to d:\games\live for speed)

Notes, installer did not install LFS icon to the games section in Win7. Nor can it be seen in control panel-uninstall program.

First start, no probs, setup wheel drove abit, saved a replay.
Exit (with exit buttons etc)
Browse to d:\games\live for speed\data\spr dbl click the replay file-> windows can't open file. To open this file, Windows needs to know blabla
Regedit says HKCR\.spr is not set
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.spr is set, but it's empty, probably it's set because I just clicked a .spr file.

Looking at the Process Monitor log which I had running at the time of the install, I see that each file association related registry operation and

uninstall info is result:ACCESS DENIED (see attachment)
I guess if one keeps the set file association check-boxes checked, you need to elevate the installer privileges in the installer script.

Redo;
manually empty LFS dir.

Pretty much the same as above, but I start the installer with right click run as administrator

No LFS in W7 games, but it's in control panel-uninstall

dbl click spr-> lfs starts, music starts playing as in the 1st start demo replay even though I disabled all music (sorry vic, put feel the silence in

there and I'll keep it on) WTH? mouseclickspabecarmouseclicspabecar where's the replay? Close LFS, again dbl click spr, LFS starts, music starts blaring

and I wait.... instead of the demo spr, my spr starts, d'oh.

disabled load track at startup, dbl clicking spr starts a proper replay playback

I placed my priceless heirlooms to d:\games\live for speed and uninstalled LFS with control panel-uninstall.. it deleted my heirlooms because I had

delete Live for speed directory check-box checked... my fault

I moved d:\games\Live for speed to d:\Live for speed, started d:\live for speed\lfs.exe played abit, quit. Browsed to d:\live for speed\data\spr dbl

click spr, choose the program you want to use blablabla LFS not in the list.
If spr/set/lyt association is set, and upon starting lfs it's not in the same place it used to be, it should update those associations in the registry

to current location. How about: TODO (reallylow) ?

Tried the hose C:\ uninstall bug, it won't install to any root drive

Sorry about the unreadability, those are notes on the run, not a well thought out report, which I'm not in a state to do ATM...
Attached images
LFS-install-procmonlog.jpg
Quote from Napalm Candy :I don't know if it is normal but... I installed, all without problems, but when I double-click on a SPR or MPR file (with or without LFS opened) appears a window saying "Error copying file"

I'm on W7 32bit

EDIT: With that window openen the uninstall don't run OK, so it unistall LFS and don't show any error, but don't remove LFS.exe and Live For Speed folder (neither Games folder)

I suggest the unnistall first close all LFS programs or ask to close it

I think you got the error because you need to have manually started LFS at least once before the associations work. LFS is then initialised and will then copy / run the spr.
I'm guessing you may have been running another instance of LFS, perhaps your original one.

Otherwise I've no explanation for the error atm.
Quote from Shadowww :Well 90% of LFS is userdata (I bet nobody here has all stock dds files etc).

The 9% are vob's and unmodificable files.

The 1% is LFS.exe.

What usually is considered userdata is only the .ply file (LFS handles the multiuser there), .sets, .cols/personal helmet/car skins (not skins_x), and the .con etc.

If one has custom DDS files and other customizations, those don't count as userdata in the traditional sense.

You also need to take into account that some of the appdata directories will be roamed to servers and each PCs the user logs on to in corporate environments, so choose the directory carefully.
XP 32 bit , without any problems
Please, please, please keep it the old way it was. It's the easiest way to put the game on your PC and also the easiest way to back it up. I just copy the whole directory to my USB-stick and i have a backup. I copy it to another PC and play on from there. I don't see any benefit in using an install.exe or a setup.exe. It makes it unnecessarily complicated.

I was glad LFS had no install/setup program. Totally unnecessary to have it.
Quote from Victor :I think you got the error because you need to have manually started LFS at least once before the associations work. LFS is then initialised and will then copy / run the spr.
I'm guessing you may have been running another instance of LFS, perhaps your original one.

Otherwise I've no explanation for the error atm.

Same happened to me,once you started LFS at least once it works.
But,is the replay supposed to play itself when you click on it?
If i click on it the only thing i see is LFS opening.
Quote from J.B. :I'm glad I'm not the only one who still hasn't understood the concept of program files, registry, users, app data etc.

What is it for and how is supposed to be used (serious question)?

My opinion:
Program Files: Program files, duh
Registry: where a program resides, where you can find the settings file for X
Users: Personal files (recipes etc), personal programdata (not what the user needs, but the programs user uses)
appdata: local personal tmp files

Reality:
mess

Things were much easier in the DOS age... Today you need 9 kinds of IT degrees to copy a program and its data from one PC to another PC, if it's even possible.

Quote from Starbert :..

You can reproduce the old behaviour if you have 7zip/WinRAR etc and right click on the setup exe and click extract to whatever directory name it suggests. ed. whoops, it's not so easy, it also needs some manual fiddling...

Also it's not totally unnecessary, there's lots of ppl who don't know what a zip is or what to do when a dialog prompts to replace an existing older version of the same file. Or how they can start LFS if they manage to extract it.
Installed fine, ran fine, uninstalled fine, XP 32bit SP3. It did leave the "Games" folder behind after uninstalling.

Also, from my experience Linux isn't much better with all its over-abbreviated and obfuscated directory names. It all makes me long back longingly to my old Amiga 1200 which had a file system structure that actually made sense.
Quote from Krane :Win7 x64

dbl click installer exe (using an administrator account)
LFS install default settings (desktop&menu icons + associations)
Installed to d:\games\live for speed
(Clicked computer->d:\ it chose d:\live for speed, changed the string to d:\games\live for speed)

Notes, installer did not install LFS icon to the games section in Win7. Nor can it be seen in control panel-uninstall program.

ah, yes it should already be raising the level to admin, but a bug caused win7 not to do that. Should work now.

I've attached a new small installer that contains a number of fixes (basically the direct problems, for example black checkbox-text background), added LFS icon to installer exe, updated readme.txt and some other small stuff.
Mind you this is just a test exe that only installs LFS.exe and README.txt . It does do the selected shortcuts and other installation related instructions.

Default install path is still the same. Still thinking it over.

EDIT - removed the attachment. All fixes are now in the main test download as linked to in the OP
Quote from Rotareneg : It did leave the "Games" folder behind after uninstalling.

i hope you dont mind me comparing this to NKpro,
NKpro Use C:\Nkpro_versionname

This is because when you unstall it, it doent leave a folder behind...

(i just took nkpro as a example, dont get me wrong)
Quote from IlGuercio :Same happened to me,once you started LFS at least once it works.
But,is the replay supposed to play itself when you click on it?
If i click on it the only thing i see is LFS opening.

You also need to unlock (no matter if you're demo or licensed). Then LFS will load the replay and play it automatically.

Quote from hotmail :i hope you dont mind me comparing this to NKpro,
NKpro Use C:\Nkpro_versionname

This is because when you unstall it, it doent leave a folder behind...

(i just took nkpro as a example, dont get me wrong)

actually we're considering going with that.
Now, with the new installer test above, it doesn't install anything, just icons folder and the installer files, either if I leave the default install location, nor if I choose my location.
Quote from Flame CZE :Now it doesn't install anything, just icons folder and the installer files, either if I leave the default install location, nor if I choose my location.

it's a 2mb file, what do you expect it would install?
Quote from Victor :it's a 2mb file, what do you expect it would install?

Oh, damn I should go to bed Sorry
Quote from Victor :actually we're considering going with that.

What happens if you want to install multiple versions then?

In terms of shortcuts, file associations, etc...

Install Z25a to C:\lfs_z25a ... start menu / shortcut is Live For Speed ... ?
Install Z25b to C:\lfs_z25b ... start menu / shortcut is Live For Speed ... ?
This thread is closed

LFS installer package test
(213 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG