The online racing simulator
Help for drifting :)
(41 posts, started )
Hi, i am looking for someone that can learn me to drift, almost everyone says look at the dvd called The drift king, and i have, but the problem is that i learn best if someone could tell me what to do, will looking as a spectator, and try it out in the mean time getting some hint while driving, is someone who will try to help me out someday ?

greetings Peter D (Hellikopeter)
#2 - dadge
load up the BL carpark. place no objects so that the carpark is empty.
practice holding a slide. once you can control the slide, then try it on a track or autocross layout.
use the XRT for now.
Quote from Hellikopeter :Hi, i am looking for someone that can learn me to drift, almost everyone says look at the dvd called The drift king, and i have, but the problem is that i learn best if someone could tell me what to do, will looking as a spectator, and try it out in the mean time getting some hint while driving, is someone who will try to help me out someday ?

The Drift Bible does that....

To be honest, no one can teach you without you trying. Basically, get out on the track and practice practice. You will get it eventually.
I'll try just tried 3 days now any i can only take one corner in one of the maps, like 10 time out of 500 times i try :S
Do it a bit slower then, with smaller anges. While you are newbie, engage slide by handbrake, it will be easier.
You won't learn it so fast Practice and more practice is key.. Drift bible helps with some techniques mainly for initiating the drift. Holding it and extreme angles is about experimenting and practice.
I have a question, where du you guys have your e-brake on a G25 ? because i can't have it on the wheel,it is to hard to press while spinning it around ? :S
I have it on button 0, it's quite close to the real one.
#9 - dadge
H-shifter for gears and one of the flappy padels for the e-brake.
Quote from Shadowww :Do it a bit slower then, with smaller anges. While you are newbie, engage slide by handbrake, it will be easier.

I find handbrake more difficult, I guess what you perceive as easy depends on how you learned. I find clutch kicks initiates a drift more smoothly.

Quote from Hellikopeter :Hi, i am looking for someone that can learn me to drift, almost everyone says look at the dvd called The drift king, and i have, but the problem is that i learn best if someone could tell me what to do, will looking as a spectator, and try it out in the mean time getting some hint while driving, is someone who will try to help me out someday ?

What in particular are you having problems with? When I started my problem was over-correcting the slide and snap turning off the track , must have be the fact I have a momo. You should just let the wheel slip through your hands when you start sliding then stop it from turning when you have the angle you want. If you're having problems with correct entry then just drive the line you normally would at a reduced speed (only go in a bit wider so you don't touch the kerb) and start small angle drifts near the apex, then gradually start each drift earlier and earlier at a comfortable pace. I found it made it harder if I focused on the correcting part, I don't know how a g25 is, but you should focus on centering the wheel smoothly as you come out of the drift, let the self aligning torque take care of the actual drift.
do scandanavian flick (turn one way then opposite in quick sucession) is quite an easy way to get a drift going and predict, but you will allways have to be quite quick with the steering.

Most of the time people (including me) loose the drift because of turning the opposite way (correcting) too late.
#12 - Jakg
Ignore what everyone has said, ignore any advice you've read - just, do it.

Only once you can feel what the car is doing and control it, will you be able to do any more of the "advanced" stuff everyone is suggesting.

I used to (for like months when I first got the demo) dick around in the carpark in an XRT. Helped me no end, actually...

My advice would just be pick course, and push as hard as you can. If you spin it wont hurt you, so push the boundaries.
if you are on right now, stop by the server 42d driftwars i will be there...or if you have an xfire message me, im logitekg25

EDIT: by the way the password is peaceful :hide:
Thanks for the tips but my main problem is that i can't drift a corner, not that i don't know to get in to the corner, it's more when i have the drift to hold it, i don't know how to keep the wheel when iam in the and my drift only holds for 1-2 sec, sometimes 3-4sec if i am really lucky. and logitekg25, i'll add you a little later to day.
Its common even if you know the theory the real thing is totaly different.

Best way to start is this :

Take the race S set lower it a bit set full negative camber in the front , load car park and what you must try to do is doing a full wide circle drifting NOT DONATS. Once you are able to do a circle then you have to learn how to control how wide the circle will be with wheel and throttle , after that you can start on tracks by driving normal and just push the car a bit over the limit to initiate a slide by powerover and stop the slide by smoothly taking off your foot from the throttle...... and this is how it goes on

Practice practice practice DONT try to get extreme angle etc from the beggining this is the key Good luck
ThX m8
This is set I re-leaned to drift with in short time after 2 months without playing LFS.

Best for controllers like keyboard and gamepad.
Attached files
XRT_drift.set - 132 B - 1049 views
You could also post a replay of your drifting so we can suggest you how to impove it
#19 - Krya
It took me like 2-3 month before I could drift well. But now I got bored of it so, I began to do some GTR races.
But anyway Peter, Like I said on the danish forum, try the logitech setup, and go on the BL Carpark and practice there for a while, like the other guys said.
This is one of the video of how i almost get in to corners but again don't know how to get i to keep drifting and all that ? :S
Attached files
Dobran_WE1R_XRT_59.spr - 12.1 KB - 148 views
For a start your switching down to second gear when your going down the straight in fourth. You don't need to do that. Don't slide your car into the turn as much, just give it a tiny flick left and then right, and slowly start turning away from the inside of the turn, to counter steer. You should go on drift servers and watch how people do it.

Your not trying to use your speed to make the slide sideways with all wheels out of traction, Your more..... Doing a burnout at speed. The front wheels want to be going the same speed as your moving, and your rear wheels need to be spinning a lot faster so that you lose traction.

EDIT:

This demo is from about a year ago, you can see how I'm pointing the wheels in the direction I want to go around the corner, but giving the car a lot of throttle so that the rear end slides wide.
Attached files
touge2.spr - 79 KB - 151 views
BTW try sliding the car on the rallycross. That's how you'll learn basic slide catching. After you learn how to catch it, try to hold it for the whole corner and then try the same on tarmac with a drift setup.
Here's my replay, with some handbrake, clutch kick, power over stuff in it. Have a look at it.
Attached files
toki_drift_autox.spr - 102.4 KB - 135 views
Quote from Hellikopeter :This is one of the video of how i almost get in to corners but again don't know how to get i to keep drifting and all that ? :S

Your setup is amusing.
Attached files
Test Drive_WE1R_XRT.spr - 48.2 KB - 134 views
Thx for the replays And nice drifting all just one last thing, can you send me a gearing setup or just your setups for the xr gt turbo ?, just tried with my setup and i can't get the wheels to spin so much like you guys can :S and maps

(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG