The online racing simulator
Everything is orbiting around something...
(34 posts, started )
You cannot have (even in theory) a theory which explains everything. Its basically the same line of reasoning like Godl. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_G%C3%B6del

ie logic is limited and with logic (science) you will never have an answer to all questions.
Quote from marcjs : logic is limited and with logic (science) you will never have an answer to all questions.

Cos logic is all about practicality of answers but not the unimaginable type, because it seems to people that if something does not happen or they don't see it happening, the things just aren't right. For example, physicist have split into 2 main groups. People like Hawking are theoretical, while the others are those who can make something happen. Theoretical physicists share their views on which how somethings happen but not proven. So, if those physicists who have to prove things right don't see things like what theoretical physicists came up with, they'll say it's unproven and only plausible. Of course, it's natural that you won't believe it until you see it, in real human nature. Another example, like God, most won't see them, but some believe in them, but others are skeptical and doesn't believe there's existence of God cos they can't see one.

Quote from tristancliffe :I waiting to see whether Nestle or Cadbury are the first to make the obvious confectionery cash-in.

Obviously, Nestle had something similar called the "Koko Crunch"! "The best chocolatey cereal!"

Anyway, no humans have seen a Big Bang happening, so how do they know such an event actually happened? That's what I'm thinking. Pardon me for my ignorance :/
Evidence.

We never saw Dinosaurs (unless you believe the history-deniers), but we know they roamed the earth millions of years ago (last week, according to the history-deniers).
Quote from hiroshima guy :
Anyway, no humans have seen a Big Bang happening, so how do they know such an event actually happened? That's what I'm thinking. Pardon me for my ignorance :/

As I said above:

Quote from Crashgate3 :all the galaxies are drifting apart, and not only that, but galaxies further away are moving faster relative to each other. This means that at some point, they were all clumped together in the same spot and *something* caused all these countless trillions upon trillions of tonnes of mass to begin moving away from each other, despite the fact that they should all be attracting each other.'

You don't necessarily have to witness the event to figure out what probably happened. Let's say there's milk and broken glass on the floor, next to the table; you should be able to figure out what has happened even if you were not there when it happened.

Figuring out the early universe is way more complicated than that, but idea is the same; observe and study the after-effects.
Something has just occured to me about the big bang theory. It's often stated that all the galaxies are moving apart from each other, so does that mean that they know where the point of origin of the big bang was in the cosmos? Have they calculated it?

Strangely despite having an academic background in Physics, this is something I've never found out, (or have and have subsequently forgotten - quite likely).

Goes off to find out......

Aha !!.. I have my answer.. interesting indeed !!

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/d ... stro/answers/980327a.html
Quote from Crommi :You don't necessarily have to witness the event to figure out what probably happened. Let's say there's milk and broken glass on the floor, next to the table; you should be able to figure out what has happened even if you were not there when it happened.

Figuring out the early universe is way more complicated than that, but idea is the same; observe and study the after-effects.

It's a lot more complicated, because you can recognise what happens when milk is spilt and apply the same lessons, but only Intrepid has been through the creation of the universe before, and he was too busy ranting at the BBC at the time to notice .
Quote from gezmoor :Something has just occured to me about the big bang theory. It's often stated that all the galaxies are moving apart from each other, so does that mean that they know where the point of origin of the big bang was in the cosmos? Have they calculated it?

Strangely despite having an academic background in Physics, this is something I've never found out, (or have and have subsequently forgotten - quite likely).

Goes off to find out......

Aha !!.. I have my answer.. interesting indeed !!

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/d ... stro/answers/980327a.html

I think the question could be rephrased as 'Where are we in relation to the centre of the universe?' as the exact centre would be the centre of the point of expansion.

EDIT: Actually, it;s impossible to know because we can't see the edges of the universe (because it's expanding at the speed of light and the light from the edges hasn't reached us yet). Because we're part of the expansion, no matter where you measure from, it will appear as though *we* are at the centre of the universe, as everything is expanding around us. If that makes sense.

Everything is orbiting around something...
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG