The online racing simulator
OnLine Anti - n00b Idea
(59 posts, started )
Quote from duke_toaster :No. Bad idea. I can't be bothered to do them silly tests. In fact, they only belong in "Gran Turismo : The Real Nissan Skyline Simulator (if you like anything else, you can f**k off)"

I like that name for the GT games, very accurate
well, I found LFS via the GTPlanet GT forums after I started playing GT4 a few months ago, and guess what? I don't own any Skylines at all! Oh wait, I have one I won for golding some license tests. But that's all. :P Mostly I drive a ridiculously souped-up RX-8, in that game. Good fun. The whole Skyline thing is a bit unfair - sure, it's got like 80 Skylines or something ridiculous like that, but it *also* has 600 other cars, so it's not like you're screwed even if you hate Skylines.

anyways, john, I can certainly see your point, I agree - to each his own . But my way works for me - for instance, up to this afternoon I'd only played Blackwood GP track, so I thought I'd expand my knowledge, so I went out to the next track in the list (South City Classic) with the GTi, and lapped until I could get within the LFSWorld 'benchmark' time (103% of the world record, 59.10 or so). Then I went online and noticed a server running those exact settings (SO Classic, GTi only) and was able to do some nice running with two other people who could drive down to those times. If I'd just jumped online straight away I'd never have been able to keep up with them. So, yeah, worked out for me today
Quote :Aston Black reversed???

It's a bug in your browser, the correct text doesn't say this at all !

I will endeavor to resolve the inability of your computer to read my web site as soon as possible, probably next weekend as i'm tied up writing the league & license control software atm. Thank you for pointing out this incompatability.
#29 - Goop
I think maybe if the idea could incorporate something other than the license tests, then it might be do-able. I dunno what tho.

As for learning tracks offline so as not to stuff up others racing, in the most respectful way, get the f*ck out If you are a conscientious racer, here's a few commonsense guidelines:

1/ Pit in at race start.
2/ When you do get out, watch your map, and give heaps of room to anyone coming up behind you.
3/ Never go into T1 alongside another car if you don't know the track, or if you haven't driven the setup. Nothing worse than getting to T1 to discover your car isn't as strong or as stable under brakes as expected... or the track goes the other way :doh:

Simple I reckon.
#30 - IDUI
I've seen new drivers act better then most experiensed ones and some really good drivers wreck on purpose. It is the effort that counts if a racer choses to race clean he will be clean no matter the skill. This you cannot teach. It can be forced, but that is just too much work.

I personlay don't agree with the purposed idea of having to do a driving test in order to join online. As said earlier, experiensed/good drivers would die of borredome.

Instead, why not have some servers(in addition to what we have today) that recquire one to register online, at liveforspeed.net. This way only those who chose to expend the effort of going through the registration can do, and one is recquired to answer an email confirmation to complete the registration,right?(Don't recallexactly, if not then there is a weakness in my idea)

This way, banning is done to the registered name, lappers have one name in them for each user, and getting a new username is much more pain then to just change your nick and/or change ip.

Sure there will still be new players who join those servers, but not as many and surelly more managable by admins.

In order not to interupt this 'profound "n00b" indentification how to' go ahead and answer in this thread instead, or here, I don't care. Just don't want to hijack this thread.
I bring this up in this thread in hopes for more people to see the idea. So that the idea can be buchered. I don't see anything bad with it, perhaps it's not possible to implement. Developers probably know.

Edit: Yes, fo cource I missunderstand the thread... you're not talking about demo servers. Oopsie. Sorry for me ignorance. =) Well... apply my idea to demo. As for licensed servers: how can you measure the effort a racer will put to keeping clean? Joining clans/teams? I always thought that just having a permament licensed name is enough. But I hang around in the demo serves too much to know for sure.
Does anyone remember the Nascar: Season 2003 (Papyrus) system to protect servers from "newcomer"?
Maybe it´s possible to include the "Laps per Incidents-System (LPI)" to LFS? If, then it should be possible to set server to a minimum of that LPI and all without enough LPI can´t connect (or they got a password for the server).
Some more designated 'beginers' servers would be a good idea. Maybe they would all go on to the one server and wreck each other.

Other than that, I think that most software 'solutions' like LPI counters and such would end up just being controversial.
I'd still rather humans be in charge of the servers, rather than software.
I think that LPI "protected" server are a better idea than special beginer server. Every public server is a server for beginners. That´s what the word "public" stands for (imho).
But when a driver need some skills to join a special server, it could be a better motivation to train and drive clean races for some racers.
Not every good driver want to drive in a league, this driver could join server with other good drivers if the LPI is high enough.

The most good drivers are in at least one league. When they train for one of that league, they do this normally on a password protected server or offline. If this train server is a "skill server", then there could join more good drivers who are not interested in that league but on that train or race combo. Maybe some hotlap gods find the way often to such server and that´s better for the online activity. For good teamless/leagueless drivers this could be more fun.

We don´t need server for beginers, cause we had enough. What we could need are some "public" server for the good ones.

But it´s a complicated system and I don´t know if this is possible for LFS.
Quote from spankmeyer :Thumbs down for that idea.

Beginners and their occasional less-than-reasonable-behaviour are part of every online game, deal with it.

Was going to write a lengthy response but the above sums it up perfectly.

Plus: has anyone ever noticed that these threads pop up ever so often since the beginning of LFS (well, not quite but ever since I am around) and none of the "solutions" ever became reality?
Quote from ferox.CHIEF TAOA :Does anyone remember the Nascar: Season 2003 (Papyrus) system to protect servers from "newcomer"?
Maybe it´s possible to include the "Laps per Incidents-System (LPI)" to LFS? If, then it should be possible to set server to a minimum of that LPI and all without enough LPI can´t connect (or they got a password for the server).

Not just the LPI system... But tracktype rankings as well... Short tracks, medium tracks, long tracks, oval, dirttracks...
The LPI system is too dependant on the drivers you race with. So, I'd just get my team to run a few 10km/h races for a few nights and get a 250+LPI on the long tracks...
It could changed from a lap to a distance, "Miles per Incidents (MPI)". This could be an easier way to handle such a system!?
Quote :n00b: A newcomer who is lacking in skill and behaves recklessly online not caring about taking out other racers because they don't know where braking points etc are

Ahh yes ok, I use a different word to describe this type of driver.

Regarding learning track's online thats the way I did it, joined a server watched a few races, then entered the track well away from others, all the time keeping an eye on the map for other racer's, as I got to know the track I would start from the back of the pack , leaving lots of room between me and the other drivers, funny thing is how quick you catch up at t1 .

John
LPI?

Great system.....always loved to lead the pack into lap 2 suddenly facing a car heading towards me.....

Seriously.....I rarely ran into drivers who were new to LFS that really made me want to kick/ban/avoid them.....

Newbie ≠ Wrecker

CU, Sebastian
Quote from ferox.CHIEF TAOA :Every public server is a server for beginners. That´s what the word "public" stands for (imho).

I don't really agree with that.
There are usually fast racers even on public servers. Public does not mean beginers only, that's the whole problem. There are compentant, clean racers mixing with new, reckless ones and it's causing grief to some people.

(Personally the whole issue doesn't bother me that much)
hups, sry. Add the word "also" to the first sentence. I don´t wanted to say that public means "for beginers only".

DBC: Driving in the wrong direction is a lil more difficult in LFS (when the server is correctly configurated)
Quote from Marc Ainley :Good idea or not?

Well, I see your effort, butI think my grandma could finish the LFS driving school before dinner time.

We'll have to deal with the NFSU boys like always
goop et al.: wow, I didn't realise there were so many people of the opposite opinion! Now I feel all minority-ish. Hehe. I guess there's not many people like me who just enjoy driving a circuit over and over, solo, to learn all the kinks. For me driving at the back of a race I have no chance of ever really being involved in is really no different to driving the track on my own offline, but I guess it's different for others. Out of interest, what do you like about learning a track online over doing it offline? Watching others drive? The chat?

I guess the thing that scares me is it's possible to mess up even if you're trying very hard not to. For instance, in that session yesterday, we were doing a long qualifying stint before the race, and I messed up a lap about 20 seconds in front of the other guy on the server at the time. I pulled off to the side of the track (so I thought) to let him get past without messing up his hot lap, only to find out that he drives the other side of that particular corner from me, so he smacked straight into my stationary rear end! Luckily he wasn't on a great lap so no harm done, but still, that could never happen offline I guess it's not a problem on a course where you can actually pull right off the track, but there's only a couple of places you can do that on South City...
one thing really anoys me with the complaints about noobs etc

why is it that some experienced drivers behave like spoilt brats and bullies ?

2 examples both on south city classic in fox so crashes are inevitable usually involving the drivers that start mid grid so are not all noobs

lap 3 first bend , im following a car driven by a driver thats approx 3 sec per lap slower than me and i have a faster driver catching, hes approx 1 sec behind at start finifh line. car in front brakes a lot earlier than i expect for 1st bend, i jam anchors on at about 85 meters and manage to slow to his almost stopped speed, experienced faster driver then manages to pile into me and go flying past into wall. he then complains that i was going slowly on his line says hes fed up with noobs and disconnects. now this guy wasnt even close to slowing enough to avoid me as he carried on right across bend into fence after hitting me, there was a lot of space to my left and he was a second behind, i was closer to the car in front and managed to slow, he could have slowed or gone round but instead.
depended on god given right to carry on at normal speed

after each race, some experienced drivers insist on either parking or doing doughnuts on racing line on 1st bend or chicane exit, or lapping in reverse to stop people lapping whilst screaming restart. its theese same drivers who are moaning after the restart when a driver misjudges a bend and hits them because they havent had a chance to try a change theyve done in their setup. i know it can be frustrating to wait ages for a restart but a couple of laps for everyone else isnt going to take long.
i only started playing lfs myself and ffs what do i see ppl moaning about noobs just a little reminder peeps you where all noobs once we al gotta learn
Quote from ]_[SS WIZZARD :i only started playing lfs myself and ffs what do i see ppl moaning about noobs just a little reminder peeps you where all noobs once we al gotta learn

As stated a few times above the gripes are not about new drivers, but reckless ones.
I have an Earth shattering confession to make,

"Sometimes I make mistakes. Sometimes an accident is my fault. Sometimes I do a move which has a foundation a million miles or more from logic. Sometimes I just screw up for no reason at all. I misjudge a gap, miss the braking marker because i'm looking at something else, I sometimes anticipate another drivers move completely incorrectly, sometimes I get home and log onto LFS and I drive badly, ocassionally I forget to plug the ethernet cable in and lag out on wireless for a race or two until I realise, and sometimes I get stroppy (even if silently) with another driver for completely unjustified reasons. Sometimes I fail to appologise, because my interpretation of events is incorrect until I see the replay, and sometimes I do some of the most irrational overtakes."

The most frustrating thing about being as useless as I am, is other drivers expect and demand for me not to be quite so bad. On those ocassions when I do mess up more often than not the highly strung flame of doom comes pouring down upon me quicker than I can say, "yes but... Last week you did... ...I didn't say anything because i'm not a total agro head like you."

Racing cars releases adrenaline into the body, some drivers get a bigger shot of adrenaline than others (low fun+fear threshold) and loose all sense of rationale. They then fail to control their tongue and temper.

Now that for me is a far bigger problem than my inability to drive in a strait line.
thumbs down. I think we should get more nob servers instead. First time i raced in S2 was on the oval in a FO8 on online and i wasn't problem, cause i couldn't get the limiter to turn off. Just make more severs.
I am not the best racer in the world and not the worst. But i hate it, when some so called "pro`s" hit me in a race for nothing, because I am a bit slower. This are the same people that complain about newcomers.

I hate crash kids that try to ruin a race and I want to say, that not all newcomers are crashers. I always want do drive fair races! But the much faster drivers have to accept that there are slower drivers, too.
Quote from IIIFireIII :I am not the best racer in the world and not the worst. But i hate it, when some so called "pro`s" hit me in a race for nothing, because I am a bit slower. This are the same people that complain about newcomers.

I hate crash kids that try to ruin a race and I want to say, that not all newcomers are crashers. I always want do drive fair races! But the much faster drivers have to accept that there are slower drivers, too.

Have to agree with ya on this one most of the time is the so called pros that cause pileups cause some not all are impatient and ram the slower drivers in the backside all because there slower than they are illepall

I'm no where near some of the guys i race against but on our server anyone caught wreaking or ramming someone in the butt will be kicked and
now we have some fun races which are fair and a joy to be in.

Becky cool idea carn't wait to see it in action

OnLine Anti - n00b Idea
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG