The online racing simulator
OnLine Anti - n00b Idea
(59 posts, started )
Quote from Rappa Z : Just make more servers.

Are you joking? Look how many servers are unused on LFS world right now. It's staggering. What a waste of money.
Quote : some not all are impatient and ram the slower drivers in the backside all because there slower than they are

I've tripped over backmarkers before too, sometimes it is my fault, and sometimes it isn't, but I never loose sleep over it unless there's a consistent problem.

On the one hand I do agree with you because most LFS racers have very poor racecraft, most, and yes I do meen MOST racers in LFS havn't a clue when it comes to this difficult craft. More often than not a fast LFS driver will try to pass at the first opportunity to do so, without necessary planning on where they are going to overtake. This is simply because of a lack of real championship level race experience.

Having accepted that, it can actually be very difficult not to hit a slower driver on ocassion. Sometimes a back marker is so much slower that their lack of speed through a corner is a genuine suprise.

I remember one driver on that old classic SOC+FOX combination who was taking the chicane in high 1st to low 2nd gear. The pandemonium that driver caused - quite legally - was beyond belief, because once you are committed to that chicane there's no going back and I for one was gaining about 6 seconds on him through that corner alone.

That's an extreme example, but speed differential can be quite dangerous and there isn't really anything that can be done about it and it isn't necessarily a case of pointing fingers. Racing is dangerous, there is a wide range of driver skill (even in F1), and sometimes accidents just happen.
Quote from IIIFireIII :crash kids

This is the new official replacement for the word 'n00b'. To stop any confusion between newbies and reckless newbies.
Quote from Becky Rose :Having accepted that, it can actually be very difficult not to hit a slower driver on ocassion. Sometimes a back marker is so much slower that their lack of speed through a corner is a genuine suprise.

This is one of my problems. I'm not part of the "fastest" group. I think I'm fast in the "average to above average" group. So, when I catch a new guy who is way slow, I find they can be quite unpredictable in how they are going to brake, take turns, exit, etc. I have the hardest time getting around them, because I'm not ultra fast, and the last thing I want to do is to hit someone whether they are fast, slow, new, or experienced. I end up pulling up beside them, watching how they are driving as I attempt to pass, then back off more to prevent them from hitting me than from me hitting them. Thus, I end up with big trouble trying to get by them.

Last night at Westhill, I encountered a slow car. No matter what I did, he would turn into me or cut me off even though I was 6 seconds faster than him. His car seemed to be invincible as he would wack me off the track. I eventually tried to slam him from behind to move him, but I just couldn't get him to move. Oh, wait a minute! His dot on the map was blue! He was an AI car! LOL [/joking around]
personally i've no compaint about people hitting me, if its my fault i say sorry, if it their fault they say sorry. its when they hit me or another car and it is their fault yet they go on a noob hunt against the poor soul they clobbered
Quote from mrodgers :This is one of my problems. I'm not part of the "fastest" group. I think I'm fast in the "average to above average" group. So, when I catch a new guy who is way slow, I find they can be quite unpredictable in how they are going to brake, take turns, exit, etc. I have the hardest time getting around them, because I'm not ultra fast, and the last thing I want to do is to hit someone whether they are fast, slow, new, or experienced.

I'm only a demo racer at the moment and i'm still learning the race lines and braking points, i suppose i have an ok teacher, but i have the same problem with coming up to slower cars, i move behind them usually to get the slipstream, then pull out enough so there is like 2 cars between us and i have been deliberately spun out on a flying lap, i sure hope people aren't like that on S2. Also if i see a car(s) who are faster than me then at the next corner I'd slow down enough and pull off the racing line to let them pass, no point in ruining someone else's race in my point of view.
Quote from Xaid0n :...i have been deliberately spun out on a flying lap, i sure hope people aren't like that on S2.

No, usually you don't see this in licensed servers. It's only the new guys who don't have the experience and track knowledge to be able to avoid you. It's not that they are deliberately spinning you out, just that they don't yet have the experience. For the most part, the new guys eventually gains the experience and before long, you can be racing side by side in the corners without contact.

Quote :Also if i see a car(s) who are faster than me then at the next corner I'd slow down enough and pull off the racing line to let them pass, no point in ruining someone else's race in my point of view.

In my opinion, I'd rather you just hold the racing line and slow down after you see me make a move to pass. It is more predictable that way. There are disagreements in the community on this though, and it is also dependent on where you are and how slow you actually are to others.
Quote from Becky Rose :...see current sig...

Nice, I'll keep an eye on it.
Quote from Becky Rose :I've tripped over backmarkers before too, sometimes it is my fault, and sometimes it isn't, but I never loose sleep over it unless there's a consistent problem.

On the one hand I do agree with you because most LFS racers have very poor racecraft, most, and yes I do meen MOST racers in LFS havn't a clue when it comes to this difficult craft. More often than not a fast LFS driver will try to pass at the first opportunity to do so, without necessary planning on where they are going to overtake. This is simply because of a lack of real championship level race experience.

Having accepted that, it can actually be very difficult not to hit a slower driver on ocassion. Sometimes a back marker is so much slower that their lack of speed through a corner is a genuine suprise.

I remember one driver on that old classic SOC+FOX combination who was taking the chicane in high 1st to low 2nd gear. The pandemonium that driver caused - quite legally - was beyond belief, because once you are committed to that chicane there's no going back and I for one was gaining about 6 seconds on him through that corner alone.

That's an extreme example, but speed differential can be quite dangerous and there isn't really anything that can be done about it and it isn't necessarily a case of pointing fingers. Racing is dangerous, there is a wide range of driver skill (even in F1), and sometimes accidents just happen.

SOC + Open wheelers + drivers with poor racecraft = a load of expensive cars in walls.

Everyone is a new to LFS at one points, just learn one track at a time... Blackwood or Westhill first.

What would be helpful is L plates on drivers that haven't competed 400km.

OnLine Anti - n00b Idea
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG