Drift Max. Lock
(624 posts, started )
Quote from kamkorPL :And all this comes from a guy who spends all his time posting, driven 25 races in 6421 mileage. What have you been doing all this time in purists "racing simulator"?

Err... Racing offline/LAN? And you can't see how many CTRA B&J races I have driven.

And having a god damn life outside of LFS you obviously don't have...
I hope that in the future we will get two types of setups for each car, pro and beginner, in pro we would be change everything as now plus steering lock, in beginner well... real life standard .
Quote from kamkorPL :I'm more than happy with my life, doing what I love . Thank you for your concern. I hope you have a good life too.

It was more like provocation. However, after you bumped this thread you have used the same arguments and counter-arguments. "We should have more lock because there are so many drifters in LFS" vs "Because Scawen said so".

Don't know when and where Scawen said so, but because so many have said that he had said it I believe it is the truth. And if you (Or anyone else) can't find a stock car with lots of lock, you can't have more lock in LFS. And no, modified stock car is still a modified stock car.

Again: I have nothing against drifters.

PS: You can't neither see how much mileage I have driven when I used demo.
Well, so many have said it, but no one has pasted a quote. Great isn't it? Only thing I remember is Scawen saying still on rsc lfs forum that steering lock was reduced because only london cabs have more. Maybe he didn't realise at that time that steering lock could be easily increased in real life?

And you do realise we don't drive stock cars in lfs? Extreme brake tuning, suspension tuning, toe and camber tuning, transmission tuning and more.

And what about the fact that we can have unrealistically small steering lock in street cars by reducing it in setup/tuning? What street car has so little steering lock?

The only reason I'm keeping the argument going is because lfs physics are spot on. It's quite an achievements to have a game in which drifting is realistic. It's so good it made transition to real life easier. It's simply a pity lfs drifting potential is reduced on purpouse.
Quote from kamkorPL :Well, so many have said it, but no one has pasted a quote. Great isn't it? Only thing I remember is Scawen saying still on rsc lfs forum that steering lock was reduced because only london cabs have more. Maybe he didn't realise at that time that steering lock could be easily increased in real life?

Why not pm him?

Quote from kamkorPL :And you do realise we don't drive stock cars in lfs? Extreme brake tuning, suspension tuning, toe and camber tuning, transmission tuning and more.

And what about the fact that we can have unrealistically small steering lock in street cars by reducing it in setup/tuning? What street car has so little steering lock?

In my opinion it would be better that we are not allowed to adjust so many things in a road car. More boring to race? I think not. More difficult to drift after that? Yes.

Quote from kamkorPL :The only reason I'm keeping the argument going is because lfs physics are spot on. It's quite an achievements to have a game in which drifting is realistic. It's so good it made transition to real life easier. It's simply a pity lfs drifting potential is reduced on purpouse.

Ya. Because LFS has the potential to be a drifting simulator, why not use it as such? Naturally developers can do whatever they seem appropriate to make it a better racing simulator, even if it reduces the potential of being a drifting simulator. Same goes for cruising: If it would be possible to make free tracks, it would truly benefit the cruisers (For example, Fern bay where you can drive where ever you want. Also you could do really exotic routes for racing by using barricades, so also racers would benefit it). Pity it is not possible, thanks to the engine.
Quote from Gekkibi :In my opinion it would be better that we are not allowed to adjust so many things in a road car. More boring to race? I think not. More difficult to drift after that? Yes.

That would kill lfs completely. The fun would be gone (yes it's about fun too, both in lfs and real life). What I find fun about lfs most is the fact that street cars can either be: street cars, rallycross cars, race cars, drift cars - you name it. Taking that away.. Would do no good for sales, and fun aspect.

If they make it like Byku said, both camps will be happy.
How about this... we have a cruise check box how bout a drift checkbox for online? This allows 45? degrees and then if drift isnt selected the server is automatically a RACING server with the normal 36 degrees.
Quote from kamkorPL :That would kill lfs completely. The fun would be gone.

Wait what, setup options define the amount of fun you have in online racing sim? Well, somebody obviously forgot to show the memo to all those people racing and having fun in other sims with more realistic setup options or in fixed setup leagues.

What's your take on Scirocco, I've been under the impression that it will have more realistic setup options which do not allow you to chance everything in fine detail. Does that make it the enemy of fun?
Quote from Crommi :Wait what, setup options define the amount of fun you have in online racing sim? Well, somebody obviously forgot to show the memo to all those people racing and having fun in other sims with more realistic setup options or in fixed setup leagues.

Yes it will make things much less fun to me. For the reason I've said before, now ie. XRT can be a: street car, race car, rallycross car, drift car. If the setup options get limited it will only be a street car. Which will mean - less ways of having fun with that car in live for speed. It doesn't have anything to do with fixed setup leagues, you can have 4 leagues - street fixed, race fixed, rallycross fixed, drift fixed. If you take away the tuning, you are left with one. That's not taking the fun away? Less features = more fun?

Quote from Crommi :What's your take on Scirocco, I've been under the impression that it will have more realistic setup options which do not allow you to chance everything in fine detail. Does that make it the enemy of fun?

I don't care much for Scirocco, another boring fwd car. And yes making setup much more limited will make it even less fun to me. Because there will be less ways of having fun with the car. I'd rather have the scirocco in street spec, race spec and rallycross spec. How about you?
How about keeping the current setup options, maybe adding more (let's say more maximum lock), and then adding the option for every server, to limit precisely the setup options, so every server admin can decide what option to limit in his server. For example, an racing server should limit the maximum lock. I read somewhere that intake restriction and so on can also be forced by the server. That should be possible for all setup options.

That will also bring the ability for racing servers to limit the setup only to driving style adjustments.
Ideally the server sets the degree of freedom for a car setup, the client synchronises upon connecting/selecting the car and limits the player's settings accordingly. This already happens, except the client is disconnected if the settings don't match (that would be OOS SET), same for engine specs (OOS ENG) and so on. Perhaps Scavier had this planned all along, for S3 Gold probably.
Quote from kamkorPL :Think about how much time it takes to change a gui slider range.

Actually, all it takes is adjustment to the default setup. I can do it easily. All it takes is one hex edit, and hurrah, the slider goes up to 45 degrees.

Quote from Shadowww :Think about how much time it takes to make >36° lock realistic. LFS physics engine is optimised for 36 and smaller degree locks.

No it's not. What a load of nonsense, to be honest. Why do you think it can't be realistic?
Quote from hrtburnout : No it's not. What a load of nonsense, to be honest. Why do you think it can't be realistic?

Scawen didn't tested it with >36° lock angles, so I think he didn't fixed all physics bugs that occur at those angles.
That's nonsense, if the physics is sound it should have no problem.
#591 - Woz
Quote from Shadowww :Scawen didn't tested it with >36° lock angles, so I think he didn't fixed all physics bugs that occur at those angles.

What is this rubbish you are talking about?

For info.... LFS used to allow 45deg lock. It was reduced as it is beyond the limits of normal cars and race cars run very low because they dont have much space for more.

From things I have heard there is the possibility that the setup options on the road cars might be reduced once the VW comes out so I would say those asking for 45deg are banging their heads against a wall tbh.

Once body rub and wear are implemented things might change. For info on cars like the GTRs you will find there is little space to increase the lock anyway.
This thread is going in circles only rivalled by oval servers. The cold hard truth is that Scawen apparently doesn't want or care about 45° lock angles. It would be a thing of < 1 minute to re-enable, but seeing how it hasn't happened since 2006 when this thread was started seems to be a good indicator that it won't happen at all. So your BMW-whatever has 45° lock angle? Well, your car isn't in LFS.

With the VWS Scawen will finally move into the right direction of severely limiting car setup options, because they're frankly quite ridiculous. I don't think this will immediately apply to all road cars, but in the end it really should. This is a change long overdue, IMO.

Quote from JJ72 :That's nonsense

+1. For all reasons that may exist to not have 45° lock, the physics definitely aren't one. If anything, the missing tyre-fender interaction is a problem, but that also happens on < 45° lock angles.
I agree 100% with Kamkor about limiting car setups, it would be the death of LFS for some of us. I honestly very much doubt the devs would be so cruel to force it on all players without atleast giving a server side option.

Personally, I don't mind the FWD kübelwagen having limited setups since I won't be interested in driving it, but if all the other street cars get limited options aswell, there won't be any point in playing LFS for me any longer.

More lock is less important for me right now than the currently flawed soap tires.
you know, this discussion really irritates me because so many people are missing the point altogether...

if drifters want 45* then why not give it to them... its a simple matter of changing a value and saving in the source code.

as for those who dont want it, dont use it...
simple as that.
FYI, i typically use 17* of steering lock on my "racing" sets.
i also set wheel correction to as low a value as possible for a more linear feel.
having 45 50 60* of max lock would not affect me at all because my racing sets already are set to less than that.
as for my drift sets, it would be a welcome addition for a drifter that lacks finesse.
it would make for a lot less spinning out and accidentally going in too deep with no hope of saving it
#595 - Woz
Quote from Zebediah_S2 :it would make for a lot less spinning out and accidentally going in too deep with no hope of saving it

You answered why yourself above

It also means people able to catch offs they would not be able to given locks that would never be able to.

As others and myself have said... Wait for the new version. I get the feeling the setup options on the road cars will be VERY limited to follow the VW. A good thing

If you look at the latest patch you will notice the shift indicator has been removed from all road cars! A sign of things to come. I bet after the patch the forum will be flooded with "Why can't I change this/that?"
I adressed those arguments couple of times before. Won't be going over this shit again, a waste of time.

Anyway, Let's make setups stock, reduce steering lock even more. Also eliminate pit button, introduce netkar pro hardcore mode so that setup changes take a lot of time. And if we have major accident, our license should be set to "R.I.P." - forcing player to buy another license with new nickname.

Because this is - THE online racing simulator.
Quote from kamkorPL :I adressed those arguments couple of times before. Won't be going over this shit again, a waste of time.

Anyway, Let's make setups stock, reduce steering lock even more. Also eliminate pit button, introduce netkar pro hardcore mode so that setup changes take a lot of time. And if we have major accident, our license should be set to "R.I.P." - forcing player to buy another license with new nickname.

Because this is - THE online racing simulator.

that is the single WORST suggestion i have ever heard
look, if your server wants 36* max steering angle, then put a check in the insim...
its THAT EASY
if you want it limited to 9* so be it... put a check in the insim.
if you want it unlimited, dont put a check in.
i dont understand why this is so complicated for you to understand.
Hah.

That was sarcasm mode. Read my other posts in this thread. This thread has been going in loops, and Woz just started another one with argument that was already prooved wrong before in this thread.
Quote from Ivo Georgiev :How about keeping the current setup options, maybe adding more (let's say more maximum lock), and then adding the option for every server, to limit precisely the setup options, so every server admin can decide what option to limit in his server. For example, an racing server should limit the maximum lock. I read somewhere that intake restriction and so on can also be forced by the server. That should be possible for all setup options.

That will also bring the ability for racing servers to limit the setup only to driving style adjustments.

I like this idea, a filter "removing" all servers with +36 degrees would also make it easyer for racers to ignore drift servers

I have only read the last page of this, but I can't see the harm in making lfs more desirable for drifters, it would probably make more ppl buy it, witch is good for everyone?

Yes, I'm a lfs drifter, but flaming ppl for using a awsome simulator(not directed to anyone spesific), for a different genere of motoring is just unmature

I guess we will sw what the dev's have in store for the next official patch
Quote from =Wolf=[NO] :I like this idea, a filter "removing" all servers with +36 degrees would also make it easyer for racers to ignore drift servers

That actually isn't such a bad idea. I don't think servers need to set the allowed degrees precisely though. A simple "drift" on/off setting would be enough. Without it the max lock would be 36 degrees and when it's on the max lock would be higher eg. 45 degrees. With this setting you could also filter the servers in the server list. And since there would actually be a reason to use the setting, drift-servers would use it and race-servers wouldn't.

Drift Max. Lock
(624 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG