The online racing simulator
Test Patch Z16 (online compatible)
(203 posts, closed, started )
Quote from gotspeed :my 2 monitor setup isn't working right....

i tell it 1 to the right and the screen sizes and full screen it just stays on the main monitor.

Interface and external views should only appear on the main monitor.

Driving views should show another image on the side monitor.
FPS problem: when turn button mode changed to classic style (2 buttons = 180 degrees) I get half of the max FPS when looking behind me, 30fps. I get constant 60 fps everywhere else with front/side view, only effects looking behind me. (phenom II x2 550 @ 3.8ghz, 4870 512, 1920x1080)

edit: it's a general FPS problem. Turned off vsync and it's only at about 60 most of the time. the 30 fps instance was looking behind while spectating someone, view had many barriers. I got much better FPS with z15.
When turning on lights, do you loose about 200watts of engine power? Or is it not yet programmed?

Patch test z16, as usual no problems whatsover.
Quote from ussbeethoven :I think he meant sidemarker lights, which are required on cars sold in the US. They aren't that common in Europe.

Yes, I meant these:
Attached images
sidemarker.png
Quote from Scawen :
FIX : Physics objects & smoke can now be seen through your windscreen

By that do you mean I can see the smoke when I am drifting through the window? Cuz I can't.
Attached images
lfs_00000784.jpg
Thanks for update.
But Taillights are not working like on real car.
Is it for compatibility with "standart" Z version?
nvm, i failed.
Quote from Woyta :Thanks for update.
But Taillights are not working like on real car.
Is it for compatibility with "standart" Z version?

I think he means taillight compatibility.
Quote from MijnWraak :FPS problem: when turn button mode changed to classic style (2 buttons = 180 degrees) I get half of the max FPS when looking behind me, 30fps. I get constant 60 fps everywhere else with front/side view, only effects looking behind me. (phenom II x2 550 @ 3.8ghz, 4870 512, 1920x1080)

edit: it's a general FPS problem. Turned off vsync and it's only at about 60 most of the time. the 30 fps instance was looking behind while spectating someone, view had many barriers. I got much better FPS with z15.

Your frame rate is rather low for the given hardware, are you sure your graphics card settings isn't forcing v sync? 60fps is too low what you are getting out of your hardware.

However, the weird framerate drop using "classic 180 degrees lookback", i could reproduce the weird frame rate drop. I get from 300+ to 220-230fps as soon as i look backwards. passing of other cars seems not to make any difference. After about 1 second fps climbs back to 300+ Also just switching left/right seems sometimes to have a similar effect.

For me, this is not a problem but somebody using a 4630 card instead of a 4890 might have frame-rate issues because of this
I know that is Z16 online compatible.
I am asking about funkction of taillights.
If it is working this way only for compatibility or for some other purpose?

(I know. My english is bad.)

BTW: LX4 plate:
Quote from Woyta :BTW: LX4 plate:

It's a known issue, fixing it would break online compatibility. Fairly sure it'll be fixed with the next major patch.

Regarding the look-back FPS drop: I could not reproduce this. My framerate is the same as with Shift+U looking in the same direction, there is nothing wrong with how the button look is implemented.
Quote from Scawen :Interface and external views should only appear on the main monitor.

Driving views should show another image on the side monitor.

its not. its only showing the 2 views on the one monitor. i have a gtx 295 and there is no option on nvida to span 2 displays like my old ati card did years ago.

one pic you can see my 2 displays 24inch 1920x1200 and a 19inch 1280x1024. both dvi. with windows 7 on a o/c i7 920 at 3.2 ghz
Attached images
100220091185.jpg
100220091186.jpg
Quote from Scawen :
Other changes to view system :

Two button look (left + right) is now double the one button look and
this allows up to 180 degrees look (like old versions of LFS).

Does this mean TrackIR users can look around to sides more than 90 degrees again? That was very annoying when it got changed from the "old" LFS. I'm too lazybutt to dig up my dusty TIR and install the drivers to try it for this feature alone.
Quote from morpha :It's a known issue, fixing it would break online compatibility. Fairly sure it'll be fixed with the next major patch.

I don think so.
There is lot of racers which are using online compatible custom models.
And "standart" Z have not this problem.
Are you sure? My nvidia control panel has an option to span
Quote from Matrixi :Does this mean TrackIR users can look around to sides more than 90 degrees again? That was very annoying when it got changed from the "old" LFS. I'm too lazybutt to dig up my dusty TIR and install the drivers to try it for this feature alone.

Yes, theoretically this allows 360° Z-rotation, Y is still limited to 90° and X to 180° though.

Quote from gotspeed :its not. its only showing the 2 views on the one monitor. i have a gtx 295 and there is no option on nvida to span 2 displays like my old ati card did years ago.

one pic you can see my 2 displays 24inch 1920x1200 and a 19inch 1280x1024. both dvi. with windows 7 on a o/c i7 920 at 3.2 ghz

Quote from CasseBent :Are you sure? My nvidia control panel has an option to span

Sadly my CCC lacks this option as well, never had it on Win7RC.
I can only use multiple screens in windowed mode, resulting in a massive fps hit due to the way Aero works.
That and the option to use any resolution on any screen and pan as necessary on that screen are something I miss to the point where I'd consider switching to nVidia after years of ATIsm.
Quote from gotspeed :its not. its only showing the 2 views on the one monitor. i have a gtx 295 and there is no option on nvida to span 2 displays like my old ati card did years ago.

You need to still have Windows see one large monitor like before to use LFS on multiple monitors. Like using the span option from the drivers, unfortunently afaik span does not work if the displays have different resolutions like in your case.
I am having a few issues, that I thought I might raise.

I personally dont like the new 3 screen setup. Just to add I am running windows 7 and a THTG.

Now with the 3 monitor view, both the left and the right screens seem to angle away, and the perspective is very wrong in my eyes, to the point of after 1 hours off line testing I now feel sea sick. I have changed back to running 1 monitor (ie the old view) and it feels so much better.

I have noticed a 30% frame drop running the new set up. dropping from a consistant 80 frames to 50 - 55.

Lastly - I have run a few test with the new setup , seeing if I change the view point around, FOV and Bezel to see if I can sort out the issue (ie make it feel better for my self - to try and persevere and see if I can get used to it), and have now found the following.

I have changed back to the single center monitor view (the old setup but still suing 3 monitors) and when I tab from car to car, I have various different views, when changing from car to car. As though each car I have viewed from - now has individual settings. Really strange. its as though each AI that was running now has its own view settings. Should this be the case?

Q - How can I change the colour of the sky messages - as white text on a cloudy sky is difficult to see sometimes. in terms of the sector interval times.
gotspeed, if you couldn't get LFS to display over both screen in patch Z or before, V16 changes nothing here. If you could get it to display, it will now display in a nicer manner. If you can't span, then you'll probably need SoftTH.

Widdowmaker - the old method is correct if you have your screens all aligned (i.e. to form one wide flat display). To use 3 viewports effectively you need to angle in your side screens, and by quite some amount.

I've updated my FOV calculator and stuck a link to it on my setup tools web page, with my 3x 22" screens and a FOV of 130° (equivalent to 100° with a single viewport), I need to angle my side screens by 51° (see photo)! I do find it more immersive than a single, very wide display. Not sure if I'll stick to racing with it though, as the back of my CRTs move into the magnetic field of my speakers, and the edges of the image warp and discolour, which can't be good.
Quote from Scawen :What are the allowed cars on the server you are trying to join? If there is a problem with some cars we'll need to know about it.

And also please check that you can use Z15 exe to join successfully.

The problem is over now :S a light case of the flu? :P
The allowed cars were UF1 to FZR (No open wheelers except MRT).
Maybe a simple restart was needed, I don't know, it is over now

Regards,
Tor Martin
Quote from Bob Smith :gotspeed, if you couldn't get LFS to display over both screen in patch Z or before, V16 changes nothing here. If you could get it to display, it will now display in a nicer manner. If you can't span, then you'll probably need SoftTH.

Widdowmaker - the old method is correct if you have your screens all aligned (i.e. to form one wide flat display). To use 3 viewports effectively you need to angle in your side screens, and by quite some amount.

i had sothTH and for a short time (week maybe) had it working but it was unstable even on vista.

Quote from CasseBent :Are you sure? My nvidia control panel has an option to span

whats it called and where at?
Ah, did some research. Apparently MS introduced a new display management layer with Vista, preventing the driver from "faking" a display, which is essentially what spanning does. Unfortunately, Seven also comes with this stupid management layer. In other words, if you've got Vista or Seven, you cannot use spanning modes. You can only use modes supported by an actual physical display, it's no longer possible to create a virtual display device and let the graphics adapter, or its driver respectively, handle the output.

€: Actually that can't be quite correct, seeing as Eyefinity clearly can do that. Let's just hope ATI releases it for older cards, don't wanna have to buy a 5870.
Quote from gotspeed :i had sothTH and for a short time (week maybe) had it working but it was unstable even on vista

You're implying Vista is more stable than XP? I agree though that SoftTH isn't very stable, v1.08 was awful for me in that regard, so I switched back to using v1.07, a shame, as v1.08 does improve frame rates.

Alternatively, buy a Matrox TripleHead2Go, upgrade your graphics card to an ATI 5800 series with EyeFinity support, or just buy an 8 megapixel monitor and run LFS in any window size you care to dream of.

morpha - apparently the EyeFinity tech gets round that, essentially brining back span to those who defected from XP to Vista/7.
Quote from morpha :Ah, did some research. Apparently MS introduced a new display management layer with Vista, preventing the driver from "faking" a display, which is essentially what spanning does. Unfortunately, Seven also comes with this stupid management layer. In other words, if you've got Vista or Seven, you cannot use spanning modes. You can only use modes supported by an actual physical display, it's no longer possible to create a virtual display device and let the graphics adapter, or its driver respectively, handle the output.

i had soth th working in vista tho. it worked it just sometimes the game would crash going from window to full screen or back the other way. is there any way to get lfs to work on 2 monitors full screen now?
other then having to fight with sothTH again to get the settings right
This thread is closed

(203 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG