The online racing simulator
Does anyone speak/write Latin?
(29 posts, started )
I'm going to get another tattoo soon, and am in need of a proper and appropriate translation of a phrase. One common symbol throughout the Roman empire (and Byzantine) was a two-headed eagle which symbolized both secular and spiritual authority; my tattoo will be of a two headed bat drawn in a similar position to the common portrayal, with the phrase "Corruption of the Mortally Divine" or something along those lines.

Essentially, the tattoo gives reference to the corruption of both religion and politics through their own misguided deification. I want the quote to be Latin, though, and am having a hard time coming up with something appropriate. I've never taken a Latin course, I just find it an interesting language, so I need some help... plus, it will then match my two other tattoos (the common phrases Tabula Rasa and Memento Mori).

I don't want to rely on online translators as I want the phrase to be correct both in grammar and in word usage. The phrase probably won't translate directly into Latin so some liberty and substitution will likely be necessary, but I'm looking for something short and with the same ultimate meaning. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks for the reply Equinox, but it's not quite along the lines of what I'm going for with this ink.
Quote from MAGGOT :"Corruption of the Mortally Divine"

Corrupción del Mortalmente Divino.
Quote from MAGGOT :Isn't that Spanish?

Isn't latin spanish? Becuase I'm taking a latin course at my high school and I speak it the same in class as I do normal spanish :schwitz

Edit: I lied I am taking spanish even though I'm supposed to be taking Latin if nobody replies I'll ask my teacher tomorrow.
Quote from PLAYAPIMP :Isn't latin spanish? Becuase I'm taking a latin course at my high school and I speak it the same in class as I do normal spanish :schwitz

Edit: I lied I am taking spanish even though I'm supposed to be taking Latin if nobody replies I'll ask my teacher tomorrow.

Spanish is one of the "romance languages" that has evolved from Latin, but it's not the same language.
I did Latin for a year at high school, but I can't remember much of it now beyond "ego sum" and "in cuisina"

This site seems to be a fairly high quality translator for Latin (not tried it with any other languages). Translate one way, then translate that back the other. A lot of the time you end up with something totally stupid, but the handful of phrases I tried seemed to work okay.

And all modern European languages came from Latin. That's why it's called the Latin alphabet
Quote from Dajmin :And all modern European languages came from Latin. That's why it's called the Latin alphabet

Not really. Only Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian, Catalan and some smaller languages come from Latin. Others just use the Latin alphabet (not all of them) and loan words.
felix est in horto.
Should be "corruptio mortalis divini", but my last latin lesson was 8 years ago
I fyou want it to be really latin, you can also spell it "corrvptio mortalis divini". Don't use capital letters.

And it should be understandable for all that don't know latin, as itonly uses latin based words...
Quote from PLAYAPIMP :Corrupción del Mortalmente Divino.

LAtin as in roman langauge - not mexican
Quote from MAGGOT :I'm going to get another tattoo soon, and am in need of a proper and appropriate translation of a phrase. One common symbol throughout the Roman empire (and Byzantine) was a two-headed eagle which symbolized both secular and spiritual authority; my tattoo will be of a two headed bat drawn in a similar position to the common portrayal, with the phrase "Corruption of the Mortally Divine" or something along those lines.

Essentially, the tattoo gives reference to the corruption of both religion and politics through their own misguided deification. I want the quote to be Latin, though, and am having a hard time coming up with something appropriate. I've never taken a Latin course, I just find it an interesting language, so I need some help... plus, it will then match my two other tattoos (the common phrases Tabula Rasa and Memento Mori).

I don't want to rely on online translators as I want the phrase to be correct both in grammar and in word usage. The phrase probably won't translate directly into Latin so some liberty and substitution will likely be necessary, but I'm looking for something short and with the same ultimate meaning. Any help would be appreciated

Whats the point having a tattoo in another language so you have to explain it to other people that ask? You may aswell not have a tattoo at all since the most people who will see your tattoos are random people and they won't even bother asking you what it means, but by the look of you, you seem like the kind of guy who will get a tattoo of your own face on your own face because tattoos are cool to you. Aren't scars enough? Don't scars tell enough stories for you? Or were you too protected as a child and didn't get hurt enough? All the stories of your tattoos probobly revert your memory back to younger, drunker and more idiotic days.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Should be "corruptio mortalis divini", but my last latin lesson was 8 years ago
I fyou want it to be really latin, you can also spell it "corrvptio mortalis divini". Don't use capital letters.

And it should be understandable for all that don't know latin, as itonly uses latin based words...

Shouldn't it be all capitals, and not lower case, and devoid of spaces?

I'll be getting it done in a more familiar grammatical style (with spaces and capitals) for the sake of legibility, though. Thanks for the response! I thought it would be something along those lines, but I was certain about the case/tense/whatever of the words.

Quote from BlueFlame :Whats the point having a tattoo in another language so you have to explain it to other people that ask? You may aswell not have a tattoo at all since the most people who will see your tattoos are random people and they won't even bother asking you what it means, but by the look of you, you seem like the kind of guy who will get a tattoo of your own face on your own face because tattoos are cool to you. Aren't scars enough? Don't scars tell enough stories for you? Or were you too protected as a child and didn't get hurt enough? All the stories of your tattoos probobly revert your memory back to younger, drunker and more idiotic days.

...Thanks for the hostility? "By the look of me" ? You don't know me, you don't know anything about me, about my past, about my personality, about my motives. I have tattoos because I like them, and I have the tattoos I have because they mean something to me.

FYI, I wasn't 'protected' as a child; I hurt myself a lot. I have many permanent injuries to attest to that, but that's none of your business. I don't have tattoos to tell stories of the past, I have a tongue for that, jackass.
Quote from MAGGOT :my tattoo will be of a two headed bat drawn in a similar position to the common portrayal, with the phrase "Corruption of the Mortally Divine" or something along those lines

How about "Ut Specus Chiroptera"?
Quote from MAGGOT :
...Thanks for the hostility? "By the look of me" ? You don't know me, you don't know anything about me, about my past, about my personality, about my motives. I have tattoos because I like them, and I have the tattoos I have because they mean something to me.

FYI, I wasn't 'protected' as a child; I hurt myself a lot. I have many permanent injuries to attest to that, but that's none of your business. I don't have tattoos to tell stories of the past, I have a tongue for that, jackass.

Sounds like you got a few skeletons in your closet. Why do you need to deface your body to remind you of things?

Children draw on their bodies. Not adults and women get tattoos these days so it's not like you can pretend to be a tuffguy either.
Quote from BlueFlame :Sounds like you got a few skeletons in your closet. Why do you need to deface your body to remind you of things?

As I said, it's not to remind me of things. My memory isn't that bad. I have them because I like them, and they carry meaning for me. If you caan't understand that, fine, but don't shit on my parade.

Quote :Children draw on their bodies. Not adults and women get tattoos these days so it's not like you can pretend to be a tuffguy either.

What's it got to do with being a tough guy? I don't have prison tattoos, I don't have a tear drop under my eye. Your notion of tattoos is seriously outdated.
Tattoos are old, instead of wearing tattoos that you cover with clothes, why not paint a picture, write music or preach to people. Tattoos are pointless it's just something that people get addicted to and they can't stop getting them and its something to impress shallow friends.
Quote from BlueFlame :Tattoos are old, instead of wearing tattoos that you cover with clothes, why not paint a picture, write music or preach to people. Tattoos are pointless it's just something that people get addicted to and they can't stop getting them

Painting pictures is stupid, it's just something that people get addicted to and they can't stop painting them.

Writing music is stupid, it's just something that people get addicted to and they can't stop writing it.

Preaching to people is stupid, it's just something that people get addicted to and they can't stop preaching.

Your argument is pretty baseless, and can be attributed to anything. Have fun preaching to people.

Nothing in this world is pointless to everyone; millions of people have and love their tattoos. They definitely are not pointless to them. As I said, if you can't understand that, fine. Just stop preaching to me; I don't care. And now, I will stop responding to you.
Quote from JPeace :/fail

Epic fail indeed! They don´t have enough destroying Spanish language but now also call it Latin

(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG