The online racing simulator
From the world of Gran Turismo
(19 posts, started )
Hi all

I've always been a Gran Turismo fan and never known of any other comparible race sims, until someone on a GT forum mentioned LFS. I've not played it yet but I've just ordered an Acer Aspire 5535 laptop which I'm hoping will run it! Has anyone else ever used it on this laptop? I have a G25 too which works brilliantly with GT5:P, so am pretty much ready to go! Just hope my laptop will run it lol

Cheers

Nige

P.S. If anyone is on PSN add me - GT_Nige
Hey.

I just looked at the tech specs for that laptop and LFS should play fine (be it not on the highest settings) I have played LFS on worse

Good luck with LFS, im sure you will like it
#3 - Byku
Hi Mate, could You post any more details? Especially graphic card, if it is integrated, then i doubt that LFS will run good enough. Any today's CPU is appropriate.

Edit: I've searched the net, does Your notebook have ATI Mobility Radeon HD3200? Maybe it will be enough, not on uber high settings with full field of AI, but for online play it will be enough.
Yup that's the one. Yeah, I wasn't expecting to be able to run it on the highest settings but so long as it's smooth and playable. I'm more interested in the physics than the best graphics tbh

Cheers guys
#5 - Byku
Well... if physics is Your stuff... then mate ... LFS is considered one of the best(if not THE BEST) sim on the market . There will be tyre udpate soon(ehm.. few months max?) so it will be even better .
Sweet!

Tyre update? In what way?

What do I need to download to get the full game with all the the extra stuff? Also how much is it?
Just download the lfs that is downloadable
and to get extra stuff you need Licence that costs around 24e i think
Quote from GT_Nige :Yup that's the one. Yeah, I wasn't expecting to be able to run it on the highest settings but so long as it's smooth and playable. I'm more interested in the physics than the best graphics tbh

Cheers guys

Im pretty sure it should be able to run LFS fine, This video shows the same laptop running Crysis and some other games, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVmv-AXrW_M&feature=fvw

Have fun playing LFS
Excellent! I'm well impressed with what I've read about the game so far. Just can't beleive I've not heard of it until now. They need to advertise it more!

Cheers for the link to the vid of the laptop running games. Looks a little laggy but they're some fairly demanding games so hopefully it'll cope well enough.

Cheers for all your help and info chaps
Im on a not so good laptop and i enjoy LFS to the max. Only one thing, in big grids the frame rates can drop quite low but it increases as the grid stretches out.

lfs is guaranteed fun bro..see you on the track

Welcome to our land of milk and honey.
Hi man, like your self I started as a migrant from the GT series.

Welcome to a whole new world

This a fantastic sim game, a bit different from the arcadeish gameplay of the GT series, but well worth taking the time to get to grips with.

Take your time, have a look around, then buy a licence (best £24 I ever spent) If its good clean racing you 're after, thats where you'll find us.

Sorry I don't know much about laptops, much more well-informed people here who can help on that topic.

Otherwise, welcome
Laptops tend to run LFS ok, as LFS is mainly CPU dependant.
Graphics will not matter so much after a few laps

Try to limit graphic settings so that FPS, when playing alone and offline, stay above 50FPS.
Then if you want to know how the laptop can handle online racing add AI drivers (single player mode) - if your FPS remains above 30 when starting from the back of a full grid you're good to go!
I used no AA, low AF on my previous laptop (dual core 2 GHz - 2GB Ram - poor 256Mb dedicated nvidia card) @1600x1050 native resolution, middle range graphics setting overall in LFS and it coped fine with all racing I had.

Good luck and welcome!
Quote from Mille Sabords :
Try to limit graphic settings so that FPS, when playing alone and offline, stay above 50FPS.

i keep mine running atleast 20fps (crap office pc) and its fun and you adapt to 20fps
#16 - Woz
My lappy runs LFS fine at 1280*800 maxed.

Mine has the 512Mb ATI HD2600, 2Gb Ram and a 2.5GHz dual core intel
Just an update for anyone interested. It runs perfectly fine! It can just about cope with a full grid but is still a bit laggy.

As for the game, WOW! It's unbelievable! I love the little realistic details like having to lift part throttle to change gear in the Formula BMW. Also the dog 'box in the "Porsche" works very well (even though I haven't quite got the skill to change without the clutch yet lol)

Brilliant game!:auto:
Hey GT_Nige, I also got started racing with Gran T (started with GT1 and played thru GT4), but I got really tired of the delays and false promises about getting online racing. After almost 8 years, it had gotten old doing hotlaps and posting times at forum "races" (and the whole issue of "trust" that required)........

Point is, LFS really does what GT will never do well ...... provide real head-to-head competition in real online races........ everything from pickup races to the big league races. And you can race drivers from all over the world - unlike GT which seemed want to divide the world into thirds

So when ya feel comfortable with the game be sure to checkout the online racing - that's where it's at

And don't worry about the laggy performance with a full AI grid - performance is much much much better with a full grid of humans (doesn't have to do calculations for allll those AIs). Besides racing the AI is nothing like racing people
#19 - Dac
I was also from the GT world until it became unnecessarily expensive (PS£) and i can say that LFS is a totally different world. The physics is on another planet in comparison, or rather actually on this planet lol. For that reason only the die hard racing fans tend to stick around and learn how to drive properly as its not a pick up and go game it takes skill and that only comes with prefect practice.

There is a few downsides however, you wont be screeching a GT40 around the city lights against a Jaguar race car and you wont have your own personal garage of unique exquisite looking cars. But you will have a better tool and environment to get at the core of what racing is all about.

As you can see im still quite passionate about the GT series and i hope it makes it onto PC someday

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG