The online racing simulator
Achievments
(108 posts, started )
#1 - !RAM!
Achievments
I have searched (probably not good enough)

If LFS had achievements like for eg. Clean section, Clean lap, and so on do you think we would have better drivers (until they get all the achievements) but yeah it would give people something to do as there is so many people saying lfs is boring. your opinion?
#2 - pik_d
Airio powered servers have safety ratings and it doesn't really seem like they're any cleaner for it.
Let me connect my 360 controller, so i can get unlocked "Fastest lap"
"2 for 20g" ect.
NO!
#4 - Woz
Has come up a few times. I take it you mean Achievments/Awards like other game have.

So things like

Win a race starting from the back of grid.
Complete a race with no contact with other cars.
Complete a race on each circuit

From past thread it appears that that have played games that have Achievement systems like the idea, those that have not played such games don't understand. Adds a lot to L4D

I am all for it BTW
I can see this happening already.

Moonflight from a barrier collision, of course.
#6 - !RAM!
yeah Woz stuff like that :P

It would give me something to do than attempt to drift, get pwned by all the faster racers etc etc :P
I gotta agree with this suggestion. And if there should be any system like this then for S2 only
Achievments?? Why not some nice shiny trophies?

Sounds cool - but will these be online races or offline? Cause people can use tweak etc. Would add a nice element to the game I guess.
#9 - CSU1
Quote from Matrixi :I can see this happening already.

Moonflight from a barrier collision, of course.

good stuff
yeah Online would be better but then it would be easier to get no collisions just tell your friends stay away from me and you'll be fine
I really don't see the point. What does getting achievements give you?
#12 - CSU1
Quote from MAGGOT :I really don't see the point. What does getting achievements give you?

e-penis
#13 - Woz
Quote from MAGGOT :I really don't see the point. What does getting achievements give you?

They just get logged against your acount that you have done them. Normally there is a broadcast announced on the server you are playing on as you get them. But in they end they don't really give you "anything" apart from the note you have done them.

In the same line what does everyone on the server knowing you have beat your PB and the PB being logged give you. Nothing... still makes you feel good when you have done it though.

They keep things interesting and for most games I have played with them make people step outside the normal popular maps/tracks etc.

Here is a good example of this. Say each track had a target time, not WR time but fast enough its take some doing. This would create 1 achievement for each car which is to beat the target time for each track.

You might still thing "ho hum, so what" but as this and many other threads on the subject have shown that is not the norm. For many it gives goals and targets to aim for and hence encourages people to step outside the favorites.

Want more LX races etc, introduce achievements for them. Just look how interest in the LX ramped a while back when FCV was introduced and there was the LX comp! Same thing, different name.

It really is that simple. Many many games have been made far better by what really is a simple and cheap system to implement!

Do we really need a e-penis meter? I can some how understand achivements in arcade games, but we have discussed that before, haven't we..?
hmmm, yeah I suppose it is a Sim...but in real life you get "Achievements". when you come third second or first you have achieved something and you get a shiny trophy
E-penis's are bad..

but think about it...

Instead of, say, spending 30 dollars on a trophy for a league race, lets say the league could us a lfs-created program to make a trophy using an easy to use modeling program, and if they so chose to could even import from 3DS max... then upload it to a league server where, if a person gets 1st place, they get a trophy.

and then they get a nice little LFS-based trophy room. To share with all their families and friends, who will beleive they have no life.

But he/she will still feel proud, especially if he wins the entire series and gets $3000 out of it...
You've got some other problem if you need achievements to keep playing the game.
Quote from Breizh :You've got some other problem if you need achievements to keep playing the game.

Sure lets see when did you last played LFS
Breizh: (12:08 - 29 Jun '08)

It is funny but I think i will make some statistic how much ppl who vote against adding some features dont play LFS anymore...

In fact Long ago I've noticed that a lot of ppl who suppress every progress on its roots didnt play LFS for a long time like 6 months or longer, they already get bored with LFS.
And no wonder LFS dont have anything to offer except physics and physics itself its just boring.
Because you drive same cars over same tracks, over and over again.
Its so repetitive that i cant believe someone can keep doing it longer than a year.

80% of tracks could be summarized by two words: green and trees.
They look more like segments of one bigger track than independent racing tracks.
Only a few cars and variations of this cars plus some basic setups options.
There is not a single thing except driving model which would keep you playing.

In fact LFS its a game want it or not, the games its about fun, fun its not only driving but something more, Easter eggs, secrets, unlockable features, achievements.
It is every thing which preserve game b4 monotony, repetitiveness and boringness.
Its a variety of stuff to do in the game.
Simply there is no such game which can be entertaining for a long time without anything to do except just driving, shooting, fighting or flying.

But hell who needs all those features its a sim and its should stay as it is.
Just very basics which means driving only even if more and more ppl getting bored by the same content and dont play anymore.
It is pity that most of those ppl who reject every possible fun feature are dont play LFS anyway or going to stop playing in a very short time.
As for now LFS is fun because of well made physics and driving model but its getting boring soon and there is nothing except it.

Anyway what kind of argument is this?
Quote from AstroBoy :Let me connect my 360 controller, so i can get unlocked "Fastest lap"
"2 for 20g" ect.
NO!

You dont like 360 controllers or you don't like the idea of getting rewarded for fastest lap in the race or for beating world record on some track even if its not going to cost you anything.
I've been busy and don't want to burn out on LFS. Is that so unimaginable? Whether someone plays or not means absolutely nothing for whether what they're saying is true or not.

Second, you do have some fundamental problems with a racing sim if racing itself isn't enough to keep your attention. Knowing all the racing permutations in the game (car, track, setup, etc) down to the smallest subtleties should be enough to keep any real racing enthusiast hooked on LFS.

I don't agree that the tracks are tedious. They're varied enough IMO, even though I wouldn't say no to a 100% increase in track choice. Cars I'd agree are tedious (where's the freakin V8 road cars, etc? :shy.. But I don't see how achievements will fix either of these issues. What I'd do with current cars and tracks is update them. Some of the car models are too old.. e.g. the FZ5 mufflers.

Quote :Simply there is no such game which can be entertaining for a long time without anything to do except just driving, shooting, fighting or flying.

Dead wrong. Plenty of historical examples.. I've been playing one particular MMO combat flight sim for 10 years now. Just like in LFS or any racing sim with a thriving online activity, every fight in that flight sim is as fresh a "fix" as any other in the previous ten years. Just as having good races on my fav car in LFS with a good grid doesn't get old. Don't take my word for it though.. Countless others agree in the flight sim or racing community. Look at GPL, World of warcraft, etc.
achievements in wow suck (well there are waaay too much, and wow is boring ^^) -> plz not in lfs ^^
Quote from Chupacabras84 :Sure lets see when did you last played LFS
Breizh: (12:08 - 29 Jun '08)

It is funny but I think i will make some statistic how much ppl who vote against adding some features dont play LFS anymore...

It is funny when someone thinks you'll have to play LFS daily (And online, offline apparently don't count), or otherwise you don't play it at all. For example, I have last been online 06:38 - 16 May '08 on CTRA Race 1 (Server that doesn't exist any more). So, I am not allowed to say my oppinions about anything, only because I haven't had enough time to play LFS (Some must go to a place called "work" to get money that others can get from "mom" and "dad").
I did propose achievements a while back and I still like the idea.

While it such a system isn't neccessarily for everyone, those who don't like it can simply ignore it as it's only merits are bragging rights, but for those who like it, it will be a strong incentive to race more.

Also, it can be used to generate interest in otherwise unused content.
I have to say no to this one as well.

First of all, it's pointless. The only reason they work on the 360 is because they're global. Every game has them, so you can see what other people have done, and they can see how you've done or what you've missed. It's useful for friends who want help with a particular game or section.
Having self-contained single-game achievements is pointless. Only people who play already will understand, and where would you share them? On LFSW? Which you need to already be into LFS to know about? Pointless waste of bandwidth. And how would they be displayed? A generated image, using up more bandwidth for people to share on forums where they're already talking about LFS?

On top of that, each and every action would need to be logged. So LFSW would need to be updated when you hit that barrier, and the height you flew would need to be logged just in case you get enough airtime for the achievement. So the servers would be getting pinged with useless stuff every second of every race.

It would also encourage achievement whores. The kind of person who will intentionally do nothing but clip barriers in order to get that one elusive achievement, potentially ruining a race for somebody else when they knock them out of the way or land on them.

LFSW already has a real achievement tracking system. It tells you if you've beaten your previous best time, it tracks how many races you've won. It's not worth the extra work for the sake of a few people who want to expand their e-penises.

And what would you make achivements in? Clean sections? That should be what you aim for in a race anyway, not something that deserves special merit.
Well, I see your points, dajmin. But a lot of that can be diverted by the way the achievements/trophies/whatever are done.

For example, there is no need for nonsensical or race ruining achievements, like "go airborne" or "flip your car" or whatever.

On the other hand, it could be used to generate interest in content, possinly with time limited achievements, like an Aston Week, or the TBO challanges, which would be about achiving things on that track or with those cars.

I know that they don't and shouldn't change the core gameplay, but they can be a great tool to motivate people to play.
The problem with time-limited ones is that they require changes to the code at the beginning and the end of the time. Time which would be better spent working on stuff that's necessary (yes, I hate that argument too).

I'm all for things to get people using the underused and underappreciated combos, but it would only change things for that period and then it'd go right back to the way it always was.
And on top of the usual you'd have people complaining that they couldn't get those achievements because the time is over. Meaning that there'd be pressure on the devs to run similar events more often, causing bigger issues with diverted attention.

It'd be far better to address the reasons WHY certain combos are underused. I know some of them just don't work as pickup races. There's very little point running 5 laps on a track that might take that many to just learn the course, especially if it makes a race last nearly half an hour instead of the more common 10 minutes. Fair enough.
But others are great tracks that nobody ever uses. There must be a reason for it.

Achievments
(108 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG