The online racing simulator
*petition for [LFS] name changing*
(172 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Kid222 :You cannot change your name. Read and think twice, before you create your account.

/failthread

This was already mentioned. Read and think twice, before you post.

/failpost

Two things:
- There are other online-games where you can change your names, and bans, stats or anything like this are not affected (i.e. America's Army).
- We cannot know if it's a lot of work to implent this. That's not a valid argument until a dev turns up and tells us that it's an awful lot of work.

Although I don't really bother, I'd say:

signed

And now some tips for the future to those who get quickly bored of their names:
Register with a random cluster of characters and numbers.
Even though i rather have something else, a name won't help your laptimes
-1. I wanted to change it to Töki before, but it's just useless, I can live with it. I won't buy another license just for that.
-
(Furiously-Fast) DELETED by Furiously-Fast
not signed

this is a moronic thread which serves no purpose more than that u can see who they are, that wants to change their name.

i thought long and hard, then i took "feffe85".. i like the name, its who i am, and i would NEVER change it..

and as someone else posted, its in the EULA (or whereever) that u CAN NOT change ur name after u have choosen.. live with it!
Just buy a new account if you want a different name... Easy!
Signed. ... Read my lfsw and you should understand. Once I asked the devs if it would be possible to change it and retain my current statistics in a case that I'm not banned on any server. The answer was something like "it's not possible" and that was all, I don't even know why it isn't possible, but the reason is probably that many people would want to change it too, so I understand ... My idea is something like - you can change your lfsw, if you are not banned on any server, if you have a very good reason for it and the new name must be confirmed by someone of the devs, or by a person chosen by devs, that the new name is alright, not rasist, not super stupid or so... and you can change it only once in a half year and it will cost like $5 or $10, so people won't do it whenever they want. Only people who are really unhappy with it and who really cares about their lfsw name will do it + devs could get some more cash.

Quote from Gil07 :Just buy a new account if you want a different name... Easy!

What about your stats?
signed

Hell Yes.. I Dont want anyone knowing who i am.

I Need to be undercover anyway. Im hated too much.

I Need a new start, but i want to keep my stats..

I Would rather go unknown, than everyone knowing me in a bad way.
#59 - 5haz
If you want the devs to add name changing to the system, the work they would have to do would probrably delay the next patch by a few geological eras.

"And for that reason, I'm out"

Jordan, you could try to act in a way that would change people's opinions of you for the better, rather than trying to start afresh.
I was expecting such thread from (Stig)
Quote from 5haz :Jordan, you could try to act in a way that would change people's opinions of you for the better, rather than trying to start afresh.

Yea im trying to, I Have Made Too many enemys to change anyone's opinions..

Posts in the past are still getting used against me.. so i cant really stop it..

Im Gonna buy a new account anyway and gonna be active on both.

But no one will know who i am.
#62 - STF
A plugin that allows users to change their own username, and working on vB 3.8.3(this is 3.8.2?) is already available, with options such:
Quote :Features:
- Users can change their own username controlled by Usergroup Permissions. If needed a time limit between changes can be set.
- Staff can change the Username of other members. This is again controlled by Usergroup Permissions.
- Previously used Usernames of a member can be viewed in posts, by hoovering over their Username. This is also controlled by Usergroup settings
- Full searchable history of Username changes in AdminCP
- Fully Phrased
- Optimized for server performance
- Documented API for addon developers

Like someone said, "a change once / year" is achievable, or once every 5 years for that matter. But:
It`s pretty much useless here, a place you`re warned from start to think before you commit.

It should be easy to implement, in a normal forum, that doesn`t have S2 accounts linked to usernames.
Or maybe the S2 usernames are stored in the same database as forum usernames (if you want to change forum's password you change the lfs.net's webpassword - this span me in this direction, wild guess, may not be true).

I think there are only a handful of people here who can respond to this issue knowing what happens back-stage, and i`m sure making this kind of change isn`t really easy, or implementing something like i quoted earlier could pose a potential security threat without thorough thinking. Everything could take 2 minutes, 10 clicks of a mouse, or several days/more of thinking and hundred lines of coding.

Perhaps when you create a new account, if you input your old credentials, a script may automatically transfer the stats from one license to the new one, marking the old one obsolete/disabling it, but what do you do if you`re [insert insult] enough to let your account taken away ? (keyloggers etc, yes, your fault). Again, hassle, unnecessary complications.
Seems the way to go is buy a new license, start clean.

Easier is to have a policy in place: "Username is permanent", and rightfully so. Reinforcing it from time to time with "permanent username is permanent" when seeing this type of threads may help. :P

At least this is how i understand it, as a regular joe.

I`m standing on the fence for this one.
Quote from Bandit77 :This was already mentioned. Read and think twice, before you post.

/failpost

Two things:
- There are other online-games where you can change your names, and bans, stats or anything like this are not affected (i.e. America's Army).
- We cannot know if it's a lot of work to implent this. That's not a valid argument until a dev turns up and tells us that it's an awful lot of work.

Although I don't really bother, I'd say:

signed

And now some tips for the future to those who get quickly bored of their names:
Register with a random cluster of characters and numbers.

The answer i wass waiting

@

Signed
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Oh and i didn't use a capital P fs

Same here, but I did it on purpose, so I could have something stupid as my racername; Scary/Leary/Fairy. As for logitekg25, if you come up with one of the dullest usernames ever (although it seems to be an American trait to use controller/wheel names on here), then you should have to live with it!
#65 - 5haz
Quote from Jordan2007 :Yea im trying to, I Have Made Too many enemys to change anyone's opinions..

Posts in the past are still getting used against me.. so i cant really stop it..

Im Gonna buy a new account anyway and gonna be active on both.

But no one will know who i am.

Its not a good habit to pick up, wanting to start over again every time something goes tits up, it may start with small things, but what if it gets to the point where you want to start your life all over again? Well you probrably can't and its not a good idea to try.
signed

id also like to chance this, i would chance it to battery, batteryy sounds stupid

I can see why some people want to change their names. Depends on how the databases are designed, but I think it should be possible to change usernames. It would make sense to make a piece of code that does all the stuff automatically, since if you are going to change one username, other people will want to have their names changed too. Letting people change their name by themselves would be a bit risky though, so a some kind of request system would be usefull. All this would probably take some time from the devs (in the short run and in the long run).

I am kind of on the fence on this issue. I don't mind the current situation, but I would probably change my username if it was possible.
i was not aware that vbulliten would not allow a name change when i made this, and it will be a bit of work, but if there are strict limitations about it it should not be too much of a problem
Yes it is a problem. Get that namechange idea out of your head already. The only namechange there is is one for £24 and losing all stats.
Well, it's beeing said that the username you choose will be permanent, so it's basicly a problem of some people
a) not being able to read
b) not being able to choose a name that they can live with for more than 2 month.

If it ever gets possible to change the username, I'd charge for changing it. Some lessons have to be learned.
Quote from logitekg25 :i was not aware that vbulliten would not allow a name change when i made this, and it will be a bit of work, but if there are strict limitations about it it should not be too much of a problem

vBulletin allows you to change your name. But this name is also your LFS account name, which causes all the problems in changing it.
Well i was framed when it comes to my username. Back in 2004 i dind't had any way of buying license myself so i asked someone(kemot) and he messed up my username with my password..so that was a real ***** after i got my s2 details. Oh well nothng can be done i guess. As i'm very attached to my lfsw stats i would not buy new account for a username. I'm pretty used to it now. But if there is a slight chance of changing it i'll take it. So i guess i can write signed too..
Quote from Bandit77 :This was already mentioned. Read and think twice, before you post.

/failpost

Note to self: read more, than just OP before posting.

Still, this is how LFS + mainly LFSWorld works, dunno if changing it wouldn't cause any trouble. And personally, i do not care about lfsw name, because ingame nick is, what matters to me.
I think I can recall one example where somebodies username was changed, but that was only because they registered with a username before certain restrictions were applied to usernames, which meant LFS would not unlock for them. The devs had to knobble the account info by hand to fix the problem.

So while technically possible, it's certainly not automated and thus presumably not quick, so unless your username falls into such exceptional circumstances, the devs are better spending their time improving LFS rather than catering to the whims of the fickle.
signed

This name just makes me look like im a noob
This thread is closed

*petition for [LFS] name changing*
(172 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG