The online racing simulator
When I analyzed the G25 I noticed at 'top speed' the motors turn at abou 1500rpm. It seems that somewhat higher voltage shouldn't necessarily cause problems yet it would increase the wheels top speed of ~1.6 revs/second to something higher.
Quote from Goo (Logitech) :With regard to the transmission, in addition to smoothness and quietness, there is also significantly less backlash in the force feedback system. All of these things work together to enhance overall force feedback fidelity and give developers the ability to convey even more information with forces. It is a big improvement over previous generations of force feedback transmissions.

As to why we do or don't use a particular technology, I can't really comment except to say that the decision-making process involves a lot of different factors.

And as far as your other commentary goes - I can't really refute your opinions about buttons and such, and I don't want to be argumentative, but I will reiterate that a significant amount of engineering effort was put into all of the components of the G27. It's not immediately apparent from the images, but the entire product feels significantly better as a result. That's kind of hard for me to prove on a messageboard, though. Hopefully reviews and testimonials from non-Logitech people will bear this out.

Thank you for replying to my post. I do respect your willingness to reply to our comments.

Moreover, I do hope you are right that this does feel significantly better because I bought myself a DFGT for very few $s while waiting for the G27 to be "officially" announced.

From pictures I am disappointed but I won't care how it looks if it does the job better than anything else in the price range.

Thanks again
  • The power supply is identical to the G25's.
  • I'll pass on the commentary about the connectors, but that is not the type of change that can be made on the G27 as it is already in mass production (and on ships from the factory)
  • Manufacturing in Japan is almost certainly not an option.
  • Rubber pads on the stops were discussed, but ultimately rejected because they introduce the potential for error into the steering encoding system (with variable rotation distances due to the rubber compressing as you hit the stop) and even debris in the mechanism as the rubber hardens and deteriorates over time.
  • The gears in the G27 are plastic. It is unlikely that we would go to a metal gear system ever, as maintenance requirements would be significant (fluids, grease, something) and it's not a practical solution for a consumer product like these wheels.
  • Yes, we could make our wheels spin faster. There are safety concerns associated with that, however, so it is unlikely that we will do so.
Goo, you said you were going to ask why the G25 shifter is not compatible with G27 (hope is not PCB related).

It it would compatible the number of G25 owners that improve to G27 will increase a lot, I think
can i get a free leather replacement? the leather on my wheel is coming off around the part where you put your hands...
Quote from Whiskey :Goo, you said you were going to ask why the G25 shifter is not compatible with G27 (hope is not PCB related).

It it would compatible the number of G25 owners that improve to G27 will increase a lot, I think

I can't answer that at this point. It will be a while before I can say anything if I can say anything at all. It is well-understood here that this would be a good thing to do.
Ok, thanks for the answer
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :When I analyzed the G25 I noticed at 'top speed' the motors turn at abou 1500rpm. It seems that somewhat higher voltage shouldn't necessarily cause problems yet it would increase the wheels top speed of ~1.6 revs/second to something higher.

electric motors (rubb... i mean brushed ones in particular) get massively inefficient if you overvolt them
obviously something any self respecting rc flyer will do regularly but dont be surprised if they find an untimely demise far sooner than they would otherwise
Quote from JasonJ :I smell "how to MOD g27 for sequential mode tutorial"

Keep the G25 shifter.
Or don't buy the Fail27. Keep you G25 instead.
The G27 looks ugly..... Gimmicky and plastic like... It just spoils the whole look.
Why is the next one being referred to as G29? Or is this just an assumption?
Quote from Vinnylegends :Or don't buy the Fail27. Keep you G25 instead.
The G27 looks ugly..... Gimmicky and plastic like... It just spoils the whole look.

Nah, it looks nice... Just they massively failed with shifter.

And G29 should have airbags and pedals with 2 more screws. And get 10 more points from SRT.
Quote from TexasLTU :Nah, it looks nice... Just they massively failed with shifter

I find it hard to understand why do people want the sequential mode for the G27 shifter. Personally, I don't mind it at all but when some people seem to be whining about it, it just becomes a bit irritating. There's the paddles on the wheel for a reason. :/
I don't think I've ever used the sequential mode on my G25.
Yes Nik.
But Paddles isn't the same as Sequential shift. Some people prefer realism over easyness
Quote from Vinnylegends :Yes Nik.
But Paddles isn't the same as Sequential shift.

Paddles are sequential, sequential shifter is sequential.
I fail to see the difference.
Oh don't argue over it :|... the difference is how You use it. One of the huge advantages of G25 was the fact that it could simulate any kind of shifter. H in road cars, Sequential(with a stick!) in GTR's and Paddles in BF1... it's a pity that they've removed it.
In fairness, I always used sequential shift on race cars as paddles were tied up for look left and right. Now there are enough buttons to do that, that leaves the paddles free for shifting anyway. I'd still rather not use them though (on cars where paddles aren't right) as there's just something so much more involving about tugging a stick. It's why autos are dull to drive.
Quote from Bob Smith :as there's just something so much more involving about tugging a stick.

There's a joke in here somewhere about some of your evening experiences Ben...

Quote from nikopdr :Paddles are sequential, sequential shifter is sequential.
I fail to see the difference.

It's not nice to drive a GTR with the Flappies.
I also dislike Flippies over the Seq. Gearbox. It just feels nicer.
Also with shifter karting I'm used to it.
Quote from Bob Smith :In fairness, I always used sequential shift on race cars as paddles were tied up for look left and right. Now there are enough buttons to do that, that leaves the paddles free for shifting anyway. I'd still rather not use them though (on cars where paddles aren't right) as there's just something so much more involving about tugging a stick. It's why autos are dull to drive.

+25
Exactly my thoughts. In a big GTR you have to, you just must.

There is no way anyone can say that flappy paddle and sequential stick is the same thing.
I only use the paddles The shifter is my handbrake! xD
Quote from Bawbag :Keep the G25

Fixed

(In case you haven't noticed, the G25 shifter is not compatible to the G27 (yet?))
I really don't understand that you guys are still whining. Nobody says you HAVE TO replace the G25 with a G27. If you want sequential, fine, keep your G25. If you want a silence wheel with more realistic FFB go for the G27. You can whine what you want, but the G27 is already on it's way to the stores as mentioned before, so they can't change anything.
Since the sequential stick is removed, they should have at least improved the feel of the flappy paddles a bit. In the G25 I always found them to be almost entirely "feelingless", if you are wearing headphones for example and cannot hear the microswitch making the click you'll have no idea when the paddle switches actually engage. The Momo Racing has a much better feel to the paddles for example.

Increased buttons on the wheel are a big plus, the LEDs are interesting but how do you actually control them? I remember in some profiler version there appeared an option for a game to control the wheel settings, but this interface is not actually documented anywhere it would seem. So if this LED control interface will be some kind of "sign an NDA and you'll get to control them" thing then there isn't much point to it (I wonder where the idea for the feature came from? ).

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG